MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
Zed
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Zed
Default Help! My first UDS attempt

Ok guys and girls I'm going to attempt a UDS. Today I got a larger than normal steel drum from a company next door to my shop. The i.d of the drum is 25 3/4 inches!!! and the height is 38.5 inches. Now I can get a normal size drum but that would cost me some cash and this was free. So my first question is where could a I get a cooking grate for this big boy? I believe Weber has a grate that measures 25 3/8 which would be perfect if I can find one on the cheap. Any idea's?

I think every thing else will be about the same for a normal size drum but if anyone knows different please speak up. I plan on doing this all from parts that are free or real close and or from the junk yard. The idea is to make my own UDS and not a kit smoker. Not that there is anything wrong with kits but for my first I want cheap and me all over it. I'm open to any and all advise you people are willing to give. Thanks in advance and I look forward to being part of this bbq crazy group. Cheers!
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Good news! You got a high dollar drum for zero bucks.

Bad news- you might wind up needing a custom grate or go: https://www.amazon.com/Weber-Hinged-.../dp/B00BG9RRQY That seems pretty high but you will have some serious real estate and will likely never need another.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
Zed
Got Wood.

I was thinking this was a hard to come by drum. I called weber after your post and they sell it for 79.00 plus shipping. So if you where me you would spend the money on this drum and push forward? I

Old 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

hi, congrats on getting a big drum.

do you have a steel shop around you? a 4x8 sheet of expanded metal is like $70 and should give you enough for for two grates and a charcoal basket!

or, if you dont want to fab something like that and dont want to spend a lot of money you can put some long bolts in there and use the cheap $10 grates that fit the wsm . you'll lose real estate but you wont spend that much and wont have to cut expanded metal( which is really easy to do actually.)

Old 03-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

Seems like this free drum is going to cost you in the long run with the added expense of odd-sized grates. I'd see if you can't find somebody with a more standardized size drum to swap with.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #6
Zed
Got Wood.

I'd like to have 2 levels in the smoker and I was concerned about the size also. But if I can find some expanded steel with a thickness that will hold up would that not be about the same cost as 2 smaller grates?

Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
-Chris-
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas68 View Post
Seems like this free drum is going to cost you in the long run with the added expense of odd-sized grates. I'd see if you can't find somebody with a more standardized size drum to swap with.
Agreed, I just bought 4 drums with lids that were stored inside for $40. You will waste a lot of money trying to make this one work, IMO.

Chris

Old 03-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #8
Zed
Got Wood.

Thanks for the input. But so that I can say I thought this through, what other than the grates would be a bigger expense compared to ta normal sized drum?

Old 03-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
effinUker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim, Moon

Grates and a cover are the 2 big things, everything else would be the same or similar. If it were me, I'd say: Love the one you're with.
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
Zed
Got Wood.

The drum has a removable cover and a strap that locks it closed.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
effinUker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim, Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
The drum has a removable cover and a strap that locks it closed.
Yeah I'd soldier on. May as well just do the big one first.

(My wife made me do that with my motorcycle - get the 1800 now so I don't have to hear you bitch while you're riding the 1300 that you need the bigger one. I love her. )
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2018, 03:11 AM   #12
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fitz

Sounds like a recovery drum? I have one, made my own grates (3) out of expanded metal, made the same sized charcoal basket that i use in a 55 gallon drum, works great. Good Luck.
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2018, 05:21 AM   #13
Zed
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dueces View Post
Sounds like a recovery drum? I have one, made my own grates (3) out of expanded metal, made the same sized charcoal basket that i use in a 55 gallon drum, works great. Good Luck.
That is exactly what it is, once you said it that rung a bell. I may have found a grate on Craigs list for 15 bucks. Waiting to hear back from the guy on the exact size. In his post it's described as 25 inches, which is perfect. If I could find or make another I'll be in good shape. Also good to know the basket would work in it thank you.

Any good ideas on a hinge for the lid or is that a stupid idea? Also, do you have any pics of your grates and the thickness and size of the expanded metal. It seems there are lots of choices out there.

Last edited by Zed; 03-06-2018 at 05:30 AM..

Old 03-06-2018, 05:31 AM   #14
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I'd keep it, use it and love it. The grates (however/where ever) you get them are going to be more pricey than the 22.5 inchers- no getting around it. Buy one /have one made and get it built -fire it up. You can always add a second grate at a later time. (I find a 2nd grate on a UDS style cooker to be a huge PITA- but some folks love them)

good luck!

Old 03-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #15
Zed
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
I'd keep it, use it and love it. The grates (however/where ever) you get them are going to be more pricey than the 22.5 inchers- no getting around it. Buy one /have one made and get it built -fire it up. You can always add a second grate at a later time. (I find a 2nd grate on a UDS style cooker to be a huge PITA- but some folks love them)

good luck!
Do you know if a lower side door for getting to the charcoal would be practical?