• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking at buying an offset stick burner.

A lot of great stuff here. Did some more digging around and found a few shops in Germany that sell interesting stuff. The one that peaked my interest is below. Found a LOT of reviews on a German forum, all very good.

They have a lot of options available, I'm looking at the 16" Long or 20" Long, both in 6mm steel. On the 16" I am considering adding a 2nd grate in the cooking chamber.

16" Long

20" Long

Both pretty much tick all the boxes. If I add the options I want, the 20" costs about 1600euro, so that is more or less the same as a 16" OK Joe.

@riffenstein , sorry no suggestions here but a request.

what does your wood fired oven look like?

A lot of great stuff here. Did some more digging around and found a few shops in Germany that sell interesting stuff. The one that peaked my interest is below. Found a LOT of reviews on a German forum, all very good.

They have a lot of options available, I'm looking at the 16" Long or 20" Long, both in 6mm steel. On the 16" I am considering adding a 2nd grate in the cooking chamber.

16" Long

20" Long

Both pretty much tick all the boxes. If I add the options I want, the 20" costs about 1600euro, so that is more or less the same as a 16" OK Joe.

I like the option of adding a kettle over the fire box. As for size, I've never known anyone, regardless of whether they were only cooking for two people or not, who was happy with a 16" size after purchasing one: my vote is for the 20."

I like the option of adding a kettle over the fire box. As for size, I've never known anyone, regardless of whether they were only cooking for two people or not, who was happy with a 16" size after purchasing one: my vote is for the 20."

I am happy with my 16" Lyfe Tyme, and it is just me and the wife most of the time. If I had a choice, I would prefer a 24", but the 16" is already paid for, and it is all I need most of the time.

16" Long

20" Long

Did I miss the diameter? Or is it the length?

From the pics I saw, they both looked pretty nice, much nicer than a 'big box store' smoker IMHO.

WSM 22. Fuggetaboutit.Shipping will kill ya.If money is no concern,buy a Shirley.

@riffenstein , sorry no suggestions here but a request.

what does your wood fired oven look like?

It seems I don't have a proper picture of the oven 'house', should make one.
It has the oven, and room to store wood and I originally had my pellet grill in there too. Found some pics, added them.

Some pictures:

Oven and wood fire

04.jpg

Inside the oven

28.jpg

It is fairly big and I think originally, it was used to bake bread. The previous owners had it restored but never used it :shock:

Attachments

• 1799164_10152643006373038_1994039903720506682_o.jpg
    1799164_10152643006373038_1994039903720506682_o.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 18619970_10155324862645996_5524155354544718708_n.jpg
    18619970_10155324862645996_5524155354544718708_n.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 114
6.2mm is .25 inch so it seems its built solid and has a welded firebox. Might be worth a closer look. I'd also consider adding the heat management plate.

Yeah, my BIL said welding looks good and the heat mngmt plate will be added. I have read about 20 reviews on a German forum, have yet to find somebody who had a problem.

I'm surprised that almost everybody suggest to go for the 20".

Would it take 'much' longer to get the 20" to temp compared to 16"?
I guess bigger fire box and bigger cook chamber mean you can get away with user bigger pieces of wood and that makes it a bit easier to work with.

How much clearance should you have above the chimney? The idea is to put the smoker inside the 'oven house', in the spot where I had my Traeger (see post above where I'm showing off :) ) The height of the 20" is 1.8m and I don't want to set the roof on fire.

!6" or 20" in diameter, on both the cooking chamber is 1m.

A 20"x33" cook chamber should be a good size for your cooking/smoking in Europe. With Pork and Beef shoulders, Hams, Ribs, etc. you should be able to feed a lot of people at a pretty big backyard 'party'. Double cut stuffed pork chops would fit in it very well with plenty of room to circulate smoke and heat, though a 16" diameter would be enough for something like this. 20" will give you lots of options and flexibility with whole piglets 'racing style' being about the only real limitation. Chickens (capon) and meat rabbits would be a nice alternative though.

A lot of people on this side of the Atlantic will suggest a 20"x42/48" cook chamber but, that is probably overkill for the 'average backyard' sizes I have seen in Europe and the amount of meat an average guest would eat. For example, 24oz steaks are pretty common on restaurant menus, and I have personally ordered 38oz (~1Kg) ribeye's a few times which in Europe would probably feed 4 average adults. A whole 3lb (~1.5Kg) roasted chicken is another one known to be my dinner as well, which if I did that in Brussels would likely draw a big crowd around my table, especially since I'm only ~75Kg.

I'm surprised that almost everybody suggest to go for the 20".

I guess bigger fire box and bigger cook chamber mean you can get away with user bigger pieces of wood and that makes it a bit easier to work with.

How much clearance should you have above the chimney? The idea is to put the smoker inside the 'oven house', in the spot where I had my Traeger (see post above where I'm showing off :) ) The height of the 20" is 1.8m and I don't want to set the roof on fire.

I don't think it would take any longer to get the 20" to temp. I can't answer your other question.

Technically, there is a bit more steel to heat up so if you measure it with a stopwatch it will take longer. In practical terms, I doubt the vast majority of people would notice any difference. Since both are the same length and only the diameter is different, I would say the difference is going to very small IF you had a stopwatch and good thermometer to measure it precisely.

Regarding your wood for the firebox, basically, I would expect things to be equal though you could 'stuff' extra pieces in the 20" model IF you wanted too.

For drafting, you will need some clearance, I'm guessing at least 15cm. In terms of heat on the roof, a pie tin above the exhaust with a 1cm standoff would keep any intense heat (within reason for a smoker) off your roof.

I would put a 'rain cap' on it myself. Basically a large piece of angle iron over the exhaust meant to keep rain out. This will split the smoke into two directions and provide a heat shield for your roof.

I saw this picture of the same smoker on a German forum, the chimney has been tilted backwards (it's possible because you can take the chimney off and replace it with a smoke chamber). Wouldn't his have an impact on how it drafts? I might try this, tilt it forward a bit so it sorta follows the slope on the roof.

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 132
Back