One has to appreciate the subtle irony of an Italian not being able to score a large pizza pan in his home country.

Kakhuis, I wish you luck. Can you find a big sheet of metal that you can just snip in to size?

One has to appreciate the subtle irony of an Italian not being able to score a large pizza pan in his home country.

Kakhuis, I wish you luck. Can you find a big sheet of metal that you can just snip in to size?

Funny is it not. Pizza bought in the super market and then made at home is frown apon here. :crazy:
Was thinking of that, but then problem is that my basket is a bit narrow and the fat drips just out side that and will "puddle" on the sheet and then when I lift it to take it out, it will lean to one side and then the fat will spill down to the bottem anyway. Maybe if I just sprinkle ass untill it absorbs it then try and lift the metal out ??

Something else you could do/try, use a cheap aluminum drip pan under your food on your second shelf. Cover the aluminum pan with foil to make easy clean up. I do that a lot depending on what I'm smoking. The drippings make fantastic gravy base.

Funny is it not. Pizza bought in the super market and then made at home is frown apon here. :crazy:
Was thinking of that, but then problem is that my basket is a bit narrow and the fat drips just out side that and will "puddle" on the sheet and then when I lift it to take it out, it will lean to one side and then the fat will spill down to the bottem anyway. Maybe if I just sprinkle ass untill it absorbs it then try and lift the metal out ??

Is there enough room on the your sheet to add a couple of handles for easier lifting?

If not, you could do what bv suggested and make a ash catcher the size you need out of sheet metal (not galvanized) and put some handles on that.

Matt

Looking for ideas on meat to smoke for two people, fiancée doesn't eat pork or anything off the bone. I did a small 4 lb brisket awhile back and it wasn't bad. Want more options. I'm using an uds.

I do have another question. Has anyone had success stopping rust and keeping paint on your uds? I sanded mine down and used a high heat paint. In the end, rust won out.

Rust is an iron oxide, usually red oxide formed by the redox reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. Several forms of rust are distinguishable both visually and by spectroscopy, and form under different circumstances.[1] Rust consists of hydrated iron(III) oxides Fe2O3·nH2O and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3).

I do have another question. Has anyone had success stopping rust and keeping paint on your uds? I sanded mine down and used a high heat paint. In the end, rust won out.

Little known fact, you need 3 things for rust... Moisture, air, and houston traffic. :wink:

Where did your drum start rusting? If it was covered by paint, air & moisture wouldn't be able to affect it.

Well I sanded it after I did a burn. Then after the sand I painted it with some krylon high heat. Then left it at my parents property for a bit. Came back and it was rusty.

Get it sandblasted and powdercoated. It is a little greater expense up front, but not too much and it will pay off in the long run. You rusted in areas that the paint didn't fully cover or bond to.

You should be able to get the sandblasting and powdercoating for less than $75. Probably closer to $50 if you ask around.

It doesn't take too many cans of paint to hit that price. Then start factoring in your time/effort....

Rust happens. I built my first one a year ago and every now and again I have to bust out the sand paper and clean up a rust bloom or 2. Nothing major. I figure we are only going to be able to do a so so job with rattle cans anyhow.

I am on board with the whole sandblast and powder coat thing. Hopefully here soon I can afford to break both of mine down and have them blasted and powder coated.

Looking for ideas on meat to smoke for two people, fiancée doesn't eat pork or anything off the bone. I did a small 4 lb brisket awhile back and it wasn't bad. Want more options. I'm using an uds.

You could always do a turkey breast. Or try a stuffed fatty made with either ground turkey sausage or ground beef.

+1 on the turkey breast. :thumb:

Cook some chuckies. Heck I would cook beef short ribs and cut it off the bone without anyone seeing.

Anyone tried to use the spray on Bedliner for their uds? I don't know what kind of temps it's rated for, but I think I would like it better than paint.

Back