MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
yup, do what stoke and smoke said, but, i'd start probing for butta after only @ 1.5 hours not 2.

as an aside, traditional brisket being cooked lownslow is somewhat of a myth. at least in texas anyway. its cooked as high as 600* by some folks.

In Legends of TX BBQ, Robb Walsh mentions the 600 degree temps measured at the Kreuz Market, where they cook SHOULDER CLODS at 500, served "a little pink", according to Rick Schmidt, the pit boss at Kreuz Market in Lockhart.

On pg. 50, Walsh quotes John Fullilove, the pit boss at Smitty's (the old Kreuz Market location in Lockhart): " You want to cook your better cuts of beef faster and at higher temperatures. Tough cuts like BRISKET have to cook SLOW."

Regardless of what I've read though, if cooking much over 350, the outside of a brisket would go from bark to char before the inside got tender, and I don't think using just salt and pepper would avoid it, either. Also, unless you have a really big offset where the brisket is far away from the fire, I don't think it's a good idea to cook over 300 unless planning on foiling.

Last edited by Dave Russell; 08-21-2010 at 04:24 PM..
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #17
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

I did foil it at 165º and put back in the UDS with the temp holding at 250º. I just checked the internal temp and it was at 180º. I took the foiled brisket off and wrapped a large beach towel around it then placed in a cooler to rest.

I also made a mopping sauce to serve with it.

1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp ground guajillo chile
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp bacon fat
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1 white onion chopped
2 large cloves garlic
1 bell pepper chopped
1 cup beer
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp Billy Gomers Cherry Chipotle BBQ sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp molasses
2 cups beef stock

heat bacon fat and add onion, cook until translucent
add the garlic, bell peppers, and spices cook for two or three minutes
add everything else, stir, and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHowler View Post
I did foil it at 165º and put back in the UDS with the temp holding at 250º. I just checked the internal temp and it was at 180º. I took the foiled brisket off and wrapped a large beach towel around it then placed in a cooler to rest.

I also made a mopping sauce to serve with it.

1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp ground guajillo chile
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp bacon fat
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1 white onion chopped
2 large cloves garlic
1 bell pepper chopped
1 cup beer
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp Billy Gomers Cherry Chipotle BBQ sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp molasses
2 cups beef stock

heat bacon fat and add onion, cook until translucent
add the garlic, bell peppers, and spices cook for two or three minutes
add everything else, stir, and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
Dude, if you had that thing wrapped, you shouldn't pull til it's "buttuh tenduh", and disregard temps, BUT I've NEVER had one tender (in foil) at 180, no matter how long rested. If doing high heat w/ foil, I expect them to be over 200.

Oh, and a "mopping sauce" is for mopping while on the pit, not serving, though they can actually be the same thing, as in N. Carolina bbq sauce dip, which is mainly vinegar and pepper.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #19
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
Dude, if you had that thing wrapped, you shouldn't pull til it's "buttuh tenduh", and disregard temps, BUT I've NEVER had one tender (in foil) at 180, no matter how long rested. If doing high heat w/ foil, I expect them to be over 200.

Oh, and a "mopping sauce" is for mopping while on the pit, not serving, though they can actually be the same thing, as in N. Carolina bbq sauce dip, which is mainly vinegar and pepper.
What should I do to save it? I have a gas grill should I do a high heat cook while still foiled on the gas grill?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
What should I do to save it? I have a gas grill should I do a high heat cook while still foiled on the gas grill?
It would be just fine, even if it's temps had gone down a bunch, if you just kept wrapped in foil and put back in a 350 oven or grill. They're not all the same, and that's why folks say not to go by temps. It will have cooked some more in the foil, but I seriously doubt enough if you pulled at 180. Even most folks that cook without foil pull around 190, but the temp should be a little higher if wrapped in foil.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #21
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
It would be just fine, even if it's temps had gone down a bunch, if you just kept wrapped in foil and put back in a 350 oven or grill. They're not all the same, and that's why folks say not to go by temps. It will have cooked some more in the foil, but I seriously doubt enough if you pulled at 180. Even most folks that cook without foil pull around 190, but the temp should be a little higher if wrapped in foil.
I was a bit worried but before I did something that might ruin it I cut in to it and it was perfect! I have chopped the point and have it cooking as burnt ends.

The mop sauce is for adding after the cook as some people are a bit picky and I wanted them to add as they wanted.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #22
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I was a bit worried but before I did something that might ruin it I cut in to it and it was perfect! I have chopped the point and have it cooking as burnt ends.

The mop sauce is for adding after the cook as some people are a bit picky and I wanted them to add as they wanted.
Well, if the flat was fork tender (as in you can cut it with a cheap, disposable plastic fork) after cooked in foil to 180, that's a new one on me. I've just never had a brisket done at 180, and those wrapped in foil, like I said, haven't been where I wanted 'em til 200 or so. I guess you never know though, and like I said, they're all different.

Regarding the "mop sauce", just call it a bbq sauce or table sauce, as long as it tastes like something you'd want to add to meat on a plate. "Mop sauce" is applied during the cook, often with a mop, and that's why it's called that.

Most important though, it sounds like you were pleased, and I'm sure your guests were as well.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #23
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Well, if the flat was fork tender (as in you can cut it with a cheap, disposable plastic fork) after cooked in foil to 180, that's a new one on me. I've just never had a brisket done at 180, and those wrapped in foil, like I said, haven't been where I wanted 'em til 200 or so. I guess you never know though, and like I said, they're all different.

Regarding the "mop sauce", just call it a bbq sauce or table sauce, as long as it tastes like something you'd want to add to meat on a plate. "Mop sauce" is applied during the cook, often with a mop, and that's why it's called that.

Most important though, it sounds like you were pleased, and I'm sure your guests were as well.
I wanted to take pics but my daughter took the camera to some concert that she went to.

The guests and myself were very happy with the brisket. I did not use the mop sauce on the brisket while cooking but everyone loved it as a suace on the brisket.

I learn so much on this site and from the experts like you that I know I'll only get better. Thanks to everyone on this site.