MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon
Default Opinion on the New Performer Platinum

What do you folks think of the new Weber Performer Platinum with the touch n go system. Just looking for input as to build quality and how does it stack up against older models.

Thanks,
Jon
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I recently picked up a 2006 Performer off Craigslist with Touch n Go, which I never thought I'd need, want, use it. Turns out pretty handy after a few weeks of messing around! But if I were buying a brand new Performer today, I'd probably stick with the Gold because even though gas ignition is handy (and even a little fun), I don't personally feel it's that big of a bonus.

Haven't seen any 2013 models out on display, but no reason to believe there's any build quality difference than in previous years. Probably overall the same great grill that would maybe benefit from a lid catcher that didn't block some of the cooking surface.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
jacksedona
Take a breath!

i bought a used rocky mountain smoker mentined this because i have three nowad they are my favorites

Old 01-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I personally think that the gas ignition is the most important part of the performer. Now if you're a mechanic and come home with your hands half filled with soot and such, no big deal dirtying up your hands, but I really like the whole "pour in the coals and push a button" aspect. Its really easy, and key in the winter time when you don't wanna mess around with stuff. Plus, it seems like the direct flame application lights the coals quicker.

The build quality is the exact same- same thermoset table. The only difference is the added cooking timer.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I have an older (SS) performer and one of the reasons I got it was for the propane ignition. Being the lazy bastage I am, it's just so much easier than finding some paper, tearing up a charcoal bag or doing whatever I need to do to find something to ignite a charcoal chimney.

And think the newer design allows better access to propane and storage bin. This point was driven home yesterday when my grill was covered with 1/4" of ice and I had to tear up an old charcoal bag to start my smoke. And my mesquite was not available since it was in the storage bin.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

I love my Big Green Egg but recently refurbished an older Performer.

I love it. I feel a little bad for my egg but when it is cold out and I just want to grill something I immediately go to the Weber. This is mostly because of the propane ignition. If it wasn't for that I'd still use the my egg or go directly to the gasser.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use my weed burner, which I bought for the UDS, to start everything now - even the Performer.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
deguerre

I have a four or five year old Touch N Go I got a couple years back off CL and to date I have YET to use that feature. I haven't even got a fuel bottle for it.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

I love touch and go on my older one. Makes it almost as easy as cooking with Gas but with the taste of Charcoal. Good on weber for the idea.
bobaftt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I have a four or five year old Touch N Go I got a couple years back off CL and to date I have YET to use that feature. I haven't even got a fuel bottle for it.

I think I see your issue
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

I'd like to thank all you folks for your input. Seems like the opinions vary, but that's a good thing. Having an older Performer SS, I have always liked the ones with the touch n go gas assist. I've been torn, as of late, on the purchase of a new one. I found several even SS ones on CL, but people are beginning to figure out that these are worth a little extra $$$$ So, I was going to retire my old guy and buy a new one. After reading the thoughts here I think I know what I'll do. I have rebuilt my Old SS once already and really didn't want to do that again, but hey what the heck, it's fun right? So I am going to rebuild my old one and keep it for indirect type of cooking. I'll buy a new Red with the touch n go, add some cast iron grates and use it for high heat and searing, like steaks and chops. The only problem now, no not to convince the Mrs, she already said I can buy the new one. She also, asked very politely I may add, if I would sell my Homer Simpson to offset the cost........ With the exception of a dime sized chip Homer is like new.................Maybe I can hide him
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
I think I see your issue
Yah. I know, right? They cost what, three, maybe five dollars? Who can afford that?!?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

One other thing I'll say about the Touch n Go system -- I'm not a fan of the propane bottle placement. I may be the odd man out here, but I like to keep the wire rack shelf under the grill uncluttered so I have a convenient place to set down a hot chimney starter, and I also like to put the lid down there when I want it completely out of the way and prefer to not set it right on the patio cement. Those little camp propane bottles are small enough but it hangs straight down in front so a touch extra caution is necessary not to bump it.

I wanted a Performer for the nice, large table, primarily, and even though I do use the gas assist starter I can see myself not replacing bottles once I use them up. I find starter cubes just as easy.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaftt View Post
I love touch and go on my older one. Makes it almost as easy as cooking with Gas but with the taste of Charcoal. Good on weber for the idea.
Very well said. I just recently scored a 2010 performer with Touch N Go off of CL and I must say that it is my absolute favorite feature on it. I cooked on it twice already and started my lump charcoal in less then 5 mins each time. I'm very impressed to say the least.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

The thing about the Performer is it's almost the perfect "everything" grill. I think if you look in most grill guy's backyards, you'll find a grill, some sort of work space, some sort of storage rack, some way to manage ashes, some method of starting fires, etc.

The Performer does all of these things plus some I'm forgetting. It's not that it doesn't any of these things in a special way, it just does it all in once place in one convenient footprint. That's why I think the Performers are one of the best grill values.

Regarding the starter system. I would pay more for it...even though the side burner on my gasser works a lot faster, It's still a very convenient option and if I ever ended up without my gasser, I would haven't to track down newpaper to use the chimney starter (not that you need a chimney...but it does light faster).

Honestly, the only thing I really dislike about the performer is the stupid lid holder doesn't get the lid all the way out of the way. Seems like such an easy fix that i can't believe they don't just do it. Even the lid holder on my smokey Joe Gold works better than this one. Not a deal breaker but something to be aware of. It would probably be an even bigger pain if you happen to be left handed.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote