Kingsford Hardwood Lump

OK, now I want to try some of this Ozark Oak. Anyone coming to the Royal with some? Can I buy a bag off of ya?

I called them, it's $3.15 a bag if you order a pallet (64 x 3.15 - $201.60 for 640 lbs of coal) Sounds good! But having UPS ship them sounds chitty - est. $547.41. That's over 200 gallons of gas at $2.65. According to Google, Yellville Ark is 256 miles from home, a shade under 5 hours. 10 hours drive, 512 miles @ 16 mpg average that's 32 gallons of gas - $84.80 in gas.

$286.40 for 64 bags = $4.475 per 10 lb bag

Dude, ship it on common carrier. I don't know about KC, but I can get it to Tulsa for between $150 and $200.

I would be glad to bring you some the next time I go that way, but that may be a while.

Hey Jeff, do you know where else to buy it in the Tulsa area other than Warehouse Mkt?

11 of 11 BBQ Brethren members agree that Kingsford Lump would be better if it were marketed as fireworks.

Wrong. I use it all the time. I guess if your smoker doesn't have an offset firebox then it might be an issue, but mine has an offset so it isn't.

I guess you're not one of the aforementioned 11 then.:roll::roll::grin:

Wrong. I use it all the time. I guess if your smoker doesn't have an offset firebox then it might be an issue, but mine has an offset so it isn't.

That was my thought as well, hence my question. And if one uses the minion method in an offset, the sparks and such are occuring on the end of the firebox away from the cooking chamber. Given the size of the SKD firebox, I'd be surprised if any residue of the sparks made its way up the chamber past the waterpan (defying gravity and downward airflow) to taint the taste of the food. Not that I use Kingsford, but I get decent popping from the bulk I use...

I don't know what an SKD is, but the fireworks that stuff put off when I tried to use it would've most likely followed the airflow in an offset and fallen out as miniature cinders as they cooled (thus succumbing to gravity as opposed to defying it).

BTW, what is an SKD?

I don't know what an SKD is, but the fireworks that stuff put off when I tried to use it would've most likely followed the airflow in an offset and fallen out as miniature cinders as they cooled (thus succumbing to gravity as opposed to defying it).

BTW, what is an SKD?

SKD = Smoke King Deluxe. It's the Bizzarro Bandera (firebox left, cook chamber right) that's found at Menard's and some Home Depots.

It's also my avatar, if you have them turned on.

Dude, ship it on common carrier. I don't know about KC, but I can get it to Tulsa for between $150 and $200.

I would be glad to bring you some the next time I go that way, but that may be a while.

Hey Jeff, do you know where else to buy it in the Tulsa area other than Warehouse Mkt?

Hastey Bake stocks it(private labeled) and will make pallet deals. Jack Wills also stocks it.

SKD = Smoke King Deluxe. It's the Bizzarro Bandera (firebox left, cook chamber right) that's found at Menard's and some Home Depots.

It's also my avatar, if you have them turned on.

Thank you for curing my ignorance.

I cooked on an eagle smoker for about 4 years. It was the original Bandera style smoker, back when everything was all welded. That design makes a great small stickburner.

Is there any advantage in having the left hand firebox?

Hastey Bake stocks it(private labeled) and will make pallet deals. Jack Wills also stocks it.

Doesn't Hastybake want like $8 a bag though? I put a pencil to it and it seemed like I remember that I could save about $.50 a bag if I bought a pallet and had it freighted in. It didn't seem justifiable unless it was winter and Warehouse Market wasn't keeping any around. If that situation was to occur, would you be interested in splitting a pallet?

Thank you for curing my ignorance.

I cooked on an eagle smoker for about 4 years. It was the original Bandera style smoker, back when everything was all welded. That design makes a great small stickburner.

Is there any advantage in having the left hand firebox?

Haven't read about anything right vs left, but I'm sure someone here has enough of them to provide empirical evidence! I love using the SKD for large quantities of meat (I've had 40+lbs going at one time), but I prefer the ECB for large individual pieces (ham, turkey, pork butt). I used to burn strictly sticks (dogwood, apple, cherry) in the SKD, but have seen the light in lump...

So you don't use any wood at all, just lump c'coal?

I do, just for flavoring. I used to use wood as my sole heat source, but babysitting it every hour got old (burns way too erratically in my SKD to leave unattended). I get 2-3 hours of steady 235-250 from a basket of lump. So now I have all the wood I stocked up on for use as a heat-source, and am burning (literally) through it much slower than anticipated. Now I just need to cut them down into 4-6" lengths so they'e easier to use for seasoning in the Weber...

Doesn't Hastybake want like $8 a bag though? I put a pencil to it and it seemed like I remember that I could save about $.50 a bag if I bought a pallet and had it freighted in. It didn't seem justifiable unless it was winter and Warehouse Market wasn't keeping any around. If that situation was to occur, would you be interested in splitting a pallet?

Hasty Bake charges about 5.00 per bag. I usually buy six at a time and it runs right at 32.00 including tax.

I think Richard will go for 4.25 or 4.50 for a pallet purchase.

I'd love to split a pallet, but I don't really have the storage space right now...

If hastybake will sell it for $4.25 a bag, that makes it cheaper than freighting some in. I'm stocked up pretty well right now, but if you want, when I run a little lower, I'd go 75/25 with you on a pallet.

If hastybake will sell it for $4.25 a bag, that makes it cheaper than freighting some in. I'm stocked up pretty well right now, but if you want, when I run a little lower, I'd go 75/25 with you on a pallet.

75/25 sounds great, we could probably get some other guys in on it as well.

I don't have a problem storing 50 bags most of the time, but right now i've got about 500# stored. I'll probably be ready in another month or two.

Between now and then if you get some other guys together and need someone to take another ten or twelve bags, drop me a line.

Back