MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Default Dry Brisket

Cooked my second brisket today and was satisfied with the way it probed, and the smoke ring but just wasn't as juicy after resting as I would like. Kids enjoyed it but i'm looking for more. Maybe that's why I enjoy the blood running out of my red meat so much! Suggestions please.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Looks A1 from where I am sittin'
Jed

Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
stargate823
On the road to being a farker

I'm in the same boat as you. I think a lot may have to do with the cut of meat. The choice packer I smoked overnight was better than my previous attempts. Did you inject at all? I skipped that step, but I think I'll revisit it next time. Just a straight up injection of beef broth. Also did you wrap or no?
stargate823 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Jeff S.
Full Fledged Farker

Wondering how long you let it rest and at what temp before slicing?

Trailer'd LownSlo 48" x 20" with a Char-Broil Grill
Hinged Dome UDS, Weber Kettle lid UDS
Weber Performer
[COLOR=red]Red (Super Lightning Fast)Lithium-Ion powered ThermoPen[/COLOR]
2 Modded ET-73's 2 stock '73's
IGrill
WSBA, PNWBA, KCBS, KCBS CBJ
It's the I behind the Eye that see's
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

No injection. Wrap for 1.5 hrs in some pecan syrup when the IT hit 178 then uncovered for the last hour or so. Might have to try an injection next time.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

The rest was about 45 minutes wrapped in foil and placed in microwave while finishing up some ABT's. Did not temp at slicing. Could it be over cooked?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
stargate823
On the road to being a farker

Pecan syrup? OOoohhhh..... I must look into this magical substance!

All kidding aside, (and correct me fellow brethren if I'm wrong) I think that there is a certain amount of "dryness" to even the best smoked brisket due to the very nature of the long cook time. It's a tall order I think to expect something that's been on a pit for over 12 hours to have a substantial amount of moisture. I think the tenderness is the most key.... I dunno. I'm kinda thinking out loud here.
stargate823 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

yea the pecan syrup was a spur of the moment thing saw it in the fridge and it just called my name. Its definitely going on my next butt.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

What temperature did you cook at?
John

Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

That brisket looks under cooked to me under cooking is the main reason for it being dry, injecting will not make a brisket moist, everything brisket needs to be moist is already in it you just need to bring it out. It needs to be cooked until the collagen melts from between the meat fibers. 178 deg internal is not even close this melting does not start until the IT reaches 185 and will continue through 200-210.
This is a slice from a Select grade packer Flat see the gaps in the fibers the collagen is melted making it moist& juicy

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
landarc

It has the look of undercooked to me as well. If you wrapped at 178F and went another hour, it was probably not cooked long enough. It does look like you were close too. Injecting with beef broth might help, obviously, injecting with a phosphate injection will help. But, it isn't necessary. A lot of it has to do with getting it to the right temperature.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
jmoney7269
Banned

+1 for the undercooked poll. We ritually take our brisket to 205-210 and if it probes like Hott butta I take it off, rest it foiled in a cooler till it cools to a IT of 140 which is the optimal slicing temp. Temp will only get you so far, cooking by feel will get you perfect every time. We cook our brisket in 6 hrs. As long as my vault is 300-350 I'm all good
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
landarc

Of course, the finished temperature range varies by how hot you are running your cooker. If you are running in the 225F to 250F range the finished temperature may be as low as 190F, sometimes even lower. Hotter you go, the higher the finished temperature ends up being. None of this matters if you cook by feel, but, I understand that some folks need that IT to feel comfortable.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
Astrobeerman
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree with the undercooked. What I aslo try to do after cooking/rest, is after slicing, keep the brisket together (or connected). This helps keep moisture and juices locked in and slows the briskets natural tendacy to dry out. Its kinda like an avacado (after slicing) and keeping the center bulb ball together with the avacado to avoid browning.
Astrobeerman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #15
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Ok, nobody has said.. but I will.. pecan syrup?!! Why treat beef like pork?
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->