MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Liability Insurance To Compete (Not Vend)?

A local contest I am investigating has stated that all teams, whether they vend or not, need to provide proof they have some sort of liability insurance covering them.

I have never heard of such a requirement to compete, and am just trying to get a feel for how common this is.

Here is a quote from the event organizer:

Quote:
Each team needs to have some form of general liability insurance (not specific to the event) but just personal or professional coverage. Most teams should already have some form of insurance that covers your equipment and for teams that cater they will already have appropriate coverage. We just need some proof that each team has some form of coverage.
If you have had to provide this, what did you do and how much did it cost you?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ridiculous.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Coverage for what? If you are not vending then it shouldn't be required...In ten years of BBQing I have never seen this for a non vending team.

Neil

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

For which contest is this?

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
Coverage for what? If you are not vending then it shouldn't be required...In ten years of BBQing I have never seen this for a non vending team.

Neil
I agree......This would limit a lot of the teams that would compete I would think

Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A couple of friends of mine that are brokers say I should have it. Ill be getting it before the season starts. Covers more than just them trying to pin something on you from a contest...
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
For which contest is this?
It is called the "Bay Area BBQ Championship", an ICBA, CBBQA ToY event held at the Oakland Coliseum...Yup, the same place Raider fans tailgate and pre-game most Sunday's in the fall.

I also questioned the cost of the event...$250 to enter (early bird if you sign up 4 months early, $285 after that), $75 for 20amp power, plus costs for extra parking, ice etc etc. I was told they are modeling the cost after the HavaBBQ. Unfortunately, with a total purse of $5600, they didn't model the payout schedule after HavaBBQ's $14,000 cash payout.

Insurance will only add to the cost to compete.

If it wasn't a ToY event I wouldn't even consider it, but it is close to home so it is tempting. But so far, not impressed.

Money raised does go to a good charity, I just don't think they should be raising it from the teams competing.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
4 smokin butts
Full Fledged Farker

agreed
4 smokin butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
landarc

Ah, I can answer that. Now that I know it is at the Coliseum. Alameda County policy requires that anyone who is holding an event at the Coliseum provide liability coverage for any event AND any entity participating also self-insure not only to protect against someone suing the entity, but, also protecting the County against suit arising from any injury to the entity itself. It means, if you are competing, and you do something stupid, you are insured to protect the County.

So, if you get hurt or your property gets damaged, your insurance covers the initial loss to your limits. It is similar to when i take a project on Alameda County, I have to agree to defend and insure the county.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

So, in that case, would a copy of my homeowners policy be sufficient?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
landarc

And yes, it is BS, it is also coming to a venue near you. It has been spreading throughout CA, due to some attorneys that have formed a consulting group advising municipalities that they can make laws and agreements that force people to agree to take on liability to protect the City. I have seen it in contracts in AZ and OR as well. It is going to push a lot of folks to avoid holding events at public facilities.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminie View Post
So, in that case, would a copy of my homeowners policy be sufficient?
I would talk to my agent, also, see if you have a liability umbrella. The truth is, a limited one time rider would probably be a lot cheaper. I would not want to tie my homeowners insurance to a event in a public area.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #13
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Tell them to "F" off, and go somewhere else...
Tell all the cooks you know to do the same...

(just my opinion)

Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminie View Post
$250 to enter (early bird if you sign up 4 months early, $285 after that), $75 for 20amp power, plus costs for extra parking, ice etc etc. I was told they are modeling the cost after the HavaBBQ. Unfortunately, with a total purse of $5600, they didn't model the payout schedule after HavaBBQ's $14,000 cash payout.
Clearly I'm missing something here.
$325 - $360 to enter for a $5600 purse? Plus extra costs for parking/ice/whatever?

I just entered Havasu today -- $300 (we long ago missed the early bird) includes electricity, and as you point out, the purse is $14K. I'm not aware of any extra charges. Not to mention we're getting a KCBS contest with CBJs, and an organizer that put on a first-rate show last year.

The only thing the organizers of the Bay Area event should be hearing from the teams is profound silence.

There is a regrettable tendency of late for some events to stick the teams for whatever they can, and count on filling their spots with inexperienced teams who don't know any better. Teams that put up with that treatment will be getting more of it.

The fact is that there's no contest without the teams, and they deserve a bit more than funding their own prize pool. There will be a minimum of $10,400 taken in entry fees if they get their max 32 teams for a California ToY IBCA event, and only half of that is coming back? And they expect income from PC sales as well?

It'd be easier to just all stand in a circle in the parking lot, pass a $100 bill around the circle, and then all go home without the expense, mess and wear-and-tear of cooking.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]

Last edited by Alexa RnQ; 02-15-2011 at 10:49 PM..
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #15
landarc

Interesting, I thought that comp had a larger prize pool than $5600. Sounds very uninteresting.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]