Pot Roast - Our Valentines Meal

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
With some of the restaurant restrictions we have, we knew our close friends would be stuck at home for Valentines Day. We decided to make a nice meal for them as well as ourselves. My wife’s favorite meal is Pot Roast so that was a no brainer to make. Plus, as good as the one I made for Christmas Dinner was, it’s now one of my favorites as well. The night before a diced up the onions, carrots and celery. (Small dice for the mirepoix)

I got this beautiful 3.56 lb. Chuck Roast on sale at my local Stater Bros. for only $3.99 a lb.

I trimmed most of the fat off.

I generously coated it with salt, fresh ground black pepper and then patted in a coating of flour. I then placed it out on my counter and let it come up to room temperature.

While that was happening, I gathered up most of the rest of ingredients. When the meat was ready, I melted 2 tbsps. of ghee and let it get smoking hot. I then placed in the roast and listened to it sizzle.

Once it had formed a crust, I flipped it over.

Next I browned the edges.

And it’s done.

I then removed it and poured in the mirepoix and let this start to sweat.

I then added some flour and mixed it in.

Now I poured a little Cabernet Sauvignon to deglaze the pot.

Once it at formed to a roux like consistency, I poured in the rest of the 750 ml. bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Next, I placed in the tomato paste, 2 tsps. of beef base, 1 cup of water, 2 cut up onions, 2 bay leaves, 6 sprigs of fresh Thyme and 4 sprigs of fresh Rosemary.

I then put on the lid and put this into my kamado preheated to 250 degrees.

After approximately 2 hours and put in the carrots, celery and potatoes and cooked this another 1.5 hours.

While this was cooking my wife gave me my Valentines gift. (She thought this was appropriate as I have a Red Weber)

I had giving her a dozen red roses.

She put the roses on the table and made it up real nice for our guests and us.

I check the meat to see if it was ready and it was. I removed the meat to a large platter.

I then scooped out most of the veggies into a large bowl.

Here is my plate served up with a nice dinner roll and some Stone Brewing - Zombie Love Potion.

This again was totally delicious. The meat was fall apart tender. (I served it up with tongs, no fork or knives required) The gravy was thick and beefy. The carrots were soft but not mushy. This may well be my new favorite meal!

Thanks for looking.

I can see why it's a favorite meal. Absolutely fantastic cook and you were able to share it as well. Win-win!

Back