Tasting Question

smokinit

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a client coming on Friday to do a tasting for their wedding in Sept. Their menu is Prime rib, Chicken and a pig they want to taste the Rib and chicken. Do I spend the money on the whole rib or try to be political about it to them. I am not sure if I could get a half a rib haven't tried to cut down on cost. Spending almost a C Note this time a year isn't what I particularly want to do.

Try for a 5 lb rib and enjoy the rest for dinner!

cook a really big prime rib, let them taste it, but not eat too much and bring the rest down to the opening of deer camp in Stanfordville........
do you have anywhere to get just a nice 2-3lb piece? I think Adams usually has something like that

Have they booked the job with you already? Just figure it into the cost of the job. :p

Other option:

1. Do a half rib roast.

2. Prompt them ahead of time and tell them you can do a larger rib roast and make them a good deal on the leftovers so they can take it home with them on Friday. "Hey guys, I got to thinking about the rib roast. Normally for a wedding I do a full rib roast. However for a tasting that's not too practical unless you wanted to take it home with you for the weekend. Heck, you can freeze and reheat for Thanksgiving. If you want to go that route, it'll give you a better idea what the rib roast will look like for your wedding and I can cut your a real good deal (cost) on what we don't use at the tasting...otherwise it might be a little tricky to cook up a single serving of a prime rib roast."

A lot of it has to do with your delivery. Having a rib roast this weekend might work out great for them.

cook a really big prime rib, let them taste it, but not eat too much and bring the rest down to the opening of deer camp in Stanfordville........
do you have anywhere to get just a nice 2-3lb piece? I think Adams usually has something like that

Have rib and gun will travel I like your way of thinking:biggrin: I can get a 5lber but will have to travel to get it. The special thing may work but business has dropped way off .I guess for a 4grand gig I will suck it up for now.:cool:

I have a different take on this than the others. My question is did you tell them they would have a tasting and it would include beef and chicken but not the pig for obvious reasons? If you told them that then I don't see how you have any choice but to serve them. This is your reputation.

Options

- cook a full one if you are doing a buffet style for them and carving the orast as part of the serving process. They see what it looks like and how impressive it is. Then you keep the leftovers and freeze and warm on Turkey day for the family.

- cook a small one (5 lb) like I am for dinner tonight. That's 2 bones. And you have leftovers for dinner for yourself or a great sammy for lunch tomorrow.

- don't offer to sell them the leftovers. Now if they say can we take them home with us tell them what it would cost and that's just the meat cost and nothing else. Make them happy.

Last comment - the gig is 4k and you're worried about one roast for tasting. Things must be pretty tough for you right now. And I do understand that part but never do anything to make you look cheap in their eyes. Everything you do should say we're top of the line and you want to book with us because we do all those little things to make it look perfect.

I have a different take on this than the others. My question is did you tell them they would have a tasting and it would include beef and chicken but not the pig for obvious reasons? If you told them that then I don't see how you have any choice but to serve them. This is your reputation.

Options

- cook a full one if you are doing a buffet style for them and carving the orast as part of the serving process. They see what it looks like and how impressive it is. Then you keep the leftovers and freeze and warm on Turkey day for the family.

- cook a small one (5 lb) like I am for dinner tonight. That's 2 bones. And you have leftovers for dinner for yourself or a great sammy for lunch tomorrow.

- don't offer to sell them the leftovers. Now if they say can we take them home with us tell them what it would cost and that's just the meat cost and nothing else. Make them happy.

Last comment - the gig is 4k and you're worried about one roast for tasting. Things must be pretty tough for you right now. And I do understand that part but never do anything to make you look cheap in their eyes. Everything you do should say we're top of the line and you want to book with us because we do all those little things to make it look perfect.
They asked for a tasting last week but not specific on what they wanted to taste. I cook on fridays at my vending site and was going to give them some fresh pulled pork,Brisket,ribs and chicken. I was going to offer some of each to them and they then sprung the rib on me this morning. I was going to explain to them that I do not cook prime rib unless it is ordered and would have to buy one just for your tasting so would the other foods be enough to give you an idea on our food quality.

Ford is right. Last February, I did a tasting for a wedding this past weekend. Originally, it was just going to be Tri-tip & Chicken and just a couple of days before the tasting, they called and asked for Ribs & Hot Links too.:shock: I thought to myself, 'Damn, these people just want to get some free food out of this'. Guess what? That wedding dinner was Ribs & Hot Links for 180 people.:-D They told me no one else would provide them a tasting for all that and they chose me, because I didn't try go cheap on them. I gave them half a Tri-tip, five chicken thighs, a slab of ribs and six hot links. I planned ahead and sold the other slab of ribs, hot links and chicken to people interested. I broke even.:biggrin:

If it were me they would be eating Prime Rib on Friday. Can't compare a good prime rib to any other BBQ you cook. Now if you think you already have this deal then maybe you don't need to but if they are doing other samplings and get prime rib from others it would hurt your chances.

I will chime in and support Ford's thoughts. I biaoytch and moan prior to every tasting. I may spend $50+ on average for a tasting and that goes with a paired wine I may already have. When I do tastings, I treat them like a competition; I go to win. Do not sweat the nickels and dimes when there is dollars to be made.
This is my philosphy on tastings. I may do 8-10 tastings a year and I will score 90% of them. This translates to about $5000-$8000 profit; please do the math. i.e. $500 a year in tastings - $8000 in wedding profits $7500 (after food and staffing has been paid).

The wine thing is a good idea never though of it. Looks like Prime rib it is Friday night. Thanks guy's!!!!

You could also smoke some frozen Steak-ums and let them try that.

I will chime in and support Ford's thoughts. I biaoytch and moan prior to every tasting. I may spend $50+ on average for a tasting and that goes with a paired wine I may already have. When I do tastings, I treat them like a competition; I go to win. Do not sweat the nickels and dimes when there is dollars to be made.
This is my philosphy on tastings. I may do 8-10 tastings a year and I will score 90% of them. This translates to about $5000-$8000 profit; please do the math. i.e. $500 a year in tastings - $8000 in wedding profits $7500 (after food and staffing has been paid).

I am fairly new to the catering world, opening this spring full blown legal and everything. I was wondering when you say spend $50 on a tasting, are you serving something that you cooked for another event? Seems to me if not then if I had someone wanting a tasting of brisket for a cooking I may spend 14 hours cooking a brisket for them to taste. Just wondering what you do in a case like that? Even a small flat would require 4-7 hours of time.

I am fairly new to the catering world, opening this spring full blown legal and everything. I was wondering when you say spend $50 on a tasting, are you serving something that you cooked for another event? Seems to me if not then if I had someone wanting a tasting of brisket for a cooking I may spend 14 hours cooking a brisket for them to taste. Just wondering what you do in a case like that? Even a small flat would require 4-7 hours of time.

I just cook what ever they want. I am thinking about getting the gig.
Just like a competition, brother. Go to win!:cool:

If that is the case then I must be way under on my idea of pricing. I wish I had a better way to get an idea of pricing.

Back