MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #556
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

The biggest issue I have seen for small places regarding selling whole briskets, is volume. Keeping and cooking a case or two of packers for every day starts to run into some serious space. And once you are doing that, folks will want whole racks of ribs, whole butts and pretty soon you are looking at keeping a large walk-in stocked and your smoking is going to be a 24 hour affair.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #557
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
The biggest issue I have seen for small places regarding selling whole briskets, is volume. Keeping and cooking a case or two of packers for every day starts to run into some serious space. And once you are doing that, folks will want whole racks of ribs, whole butts and pretty soon you are looking at keeping a large walk-in stocked and your smoking is going to be a 24 hour affair.
And it may cannibalize your sit down buisness
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #558
krek
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the pickle recipe and I can't wait to see the results of the first day with paying customers!

Old 12-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #559
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I've been keeping up with this thread here, and there, but just in case I didn't say it already, hat's off to you man! I know there are a lot of closet wanna be BBQ business opener uppers on this forum, myself included.

Kudos for you having the cahonies to make it happen, and best of luck to you. I hope you have embarked upon a flourishing business that will provide job satisfaction and financial security for you and yours.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #560
Riz58
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
My son has a BBQ food truck. Folks who want a whole rack of ribs, or a whole brisket, etc. are required to reserve one at least one day in advance. He currently has two customers with standing orders for ribs every Friday (One for two racks, the other for one). They pick up on the way home from work.

So I would suggest "bulk" orders for take-out must be made on minimum of 24 hours notice.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #561
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You know if I'm remembering correctly Superior coffee is one of the best ones available from most food service companies

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #562
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Thanks, everyone.

As for bulk orders, I already have a policy in place for placing them in advance. And for coffee, I'm a big coffee snob and there's no question I will only be serving coffee I want to drink myself. For now, I've just been grinding my own beans at home and bringing them to the restaurant. While that isn't a sustainable retail model, I will be seeking out the best bulk coffee I can buy.

And the butcher paper size is a non-issue now. Cut the sheets in half and they fit on the trays almost perfectly with just an inch or so overhang. I don't know why I had such a brain fart and didn't think of that ahead of time.

The local paper is coming tomorrow to take pics and interview me for a story, so that should drum up more interest. And my wife told me that people are talking and spreading the word at her office after Saturday's event, so that's good.

Now, I just hope the health inspector calls me back first thing in the morning and gives the OK to do the final inspection on Thursday, then I can make an official announcement to the masses that the grand opening will be on Friday.

Fingers crossed.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #563
aawa
Babbling Farker

Good luck and having a buzz about when you open is a wonderful thing!

I'm sure you will knock it out of the park with some hard work and dedication which you obviously have!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #564
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Ok, just because the brethren are so damn awesome, here's my pickle recipe. This is my home sized recipe that makes two quart jars or so.

Ingredients
• 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups white vinegar
• 8-12 cloves of garlic
• 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt
• A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
• 1 teaspoon coriander seed
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 2 Hungarian hot wax peppers

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.
THANK YOU!!!

Wifey is on board with this!

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #565
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats on a great opening.
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #566
bwood
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Marubozo,

Just wanted to say congrats on your journey. As many have said, you are going down a road that many of us have thougt and dreamed about, and wish you all the success and joy that your work and effort deserve.
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #567
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Way cool. Hope the HD guy gives you the thumbs up for Thursday!

And the recipe? Thanks! I'm trying this on whole okra and jalapenos too.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #568
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

Good luck (though I doubt you will need it) and all the best to you on the Grand Opening. I would love it if a place like yours opened up within driving distance to me. If I'm ever in the area, I will definitely be stopping in. The food looks great. This has been one of my favorite threads to follow and I can't wait to try the pickle recipe. You are a great example of where hard work and smart planning with get you and I have no doubt that you will be more successful that you imagine.

Keep the thread going. It's been great.

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #569
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

For the butcher paper you might consider getting these:
http://www.amazon.com/Boardwalk-BUTC.../dp/B004NEW93U
http://www.amazon.com/Bulman-A50018-.../dp/B004MDLZJQ

The dispenser can be mounted to the wall. You can even put a roll in the dining room with a stack of paper sacks so people can take leftovers home.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #570
papabill
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

You could try Paramount Coffee in Lansing Mi, They go all over. Congrats on
Your opening, you've had a long and hard road to get there. Hope to make it out to try out your Q soon.
papabill is offline   Reply With Quote