MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

They're garbage as far as I am concerned. I'm gonna buy a Weston and be done with Foodsaver and the like.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

These things aren't designed to seal liquids. Period. Anythign with a lot of liquid in it isn't going to seal well.

I swear I've read to freeze prior to sealing things with liquid in them, and things like berries or bread in the book that came with mine. Here is a link to the manual and an FAQ that discusses these suggestions.

http://www.foodsaver.com/Manuals/MAN...3_21960018.PDF

http://www.foodsaver.com/Faqs.aspx?fgid=487

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Some good advice in this thread. I also find when sealing anything that has moisture or liquid it helps to "hang" the bag off of a table. I place my unit on the edge of the washing machine so I can hang whatever I'm sealing vertically. Gravity does it's work and bags seal up fine.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

I use the rolls to make bags, after I put the meat and a little juice in I place the bags in the freezer for about an hour, this solidifies most of the liquid so when you vacuum and seal it doesn't pull liquid up to the seal area. At least it usually works for me, sometimes the vac sealer gremlins just don't suck, lol.
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Also, you can't seal bags back to back to back with the foodsaver. The sealer has to have time to cool down for whatever reason after a couple of times.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

Well it has a moist seal it runs the heat a little longer and make sure the texture is on the bottom so it get the full heat. And yes the over the sink and manual seal for really wet stuff.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #22
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

You can usually tell by the noise it makes if it is going to work good enough or not in the first 2-3 seconds, well before sealing. If it sounds bad stop, and start over. I went through the same issue a couple of weeks ago and wasted about 10 bags before I figured this out.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #23
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a 3880 and love it... It will suck liquid right into the sealing area and seals every time.... I have never had an issue... Bloody game or fresh meat to cooked meats and liquidy cheeses and fruits....I sealed them all in a variety of differnt bags...
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrbakcrzy View Post
I have a 3880 and love it... It will suck liquid right into the sealing area and seals every time.... I have never had an issue... Bloody game or fresh meat to cooked meats and liquidy cheeses and fruits....I sealed them all in a variety of differnt bags...
Then what the Fark am I doing wrong......
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Then what the Fark am I doing wrong......
have you tried leaving the moist button in the on position? I'm sure you have....just asking to make sure...
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I have an old cheap Kenmore one that I've had about ten-twelve years, with very few issues. I cut, seal, and freeze several deer and wild hogs every year, plus countless amounts of stuff like pulled pork, homemade sausage, bulk meat, fish, stuff out of the garden, cheese, and so on. We use it several times a week. The only time I've had trouble is when something is really, really full of liquid.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #27
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I had a foodsaver that lasted less than a year with no repair or parts available.

I bought a Weston and have had no problems. I use any brand bag, rival, foodsaver, ect. all work fine.

It seals chili or thick stews with no problems. Soups I just chill not freeze.

Not that I need them, but before I bought the Weston I checked availability of repair and ability to purchase parts for self repair.

Some people swear by foodsaver, some of us have had bad experiences. I was so dissatisfied with my foodsaver I used it for target practice. That way I could actually enjoy the product to the fullest capacity even if it was only one time.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrbakcrzy View Post
have you tried leaving the moist button in the on position? I'm sure you have....just asking to make sure...
Yup moist button on off still farked
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Some people swear by foodsaver, some of us have had bad experiences. I was so dissatisfied with my foodsaver I used it for target practice. That way I could actually enjoy the product to the fullest capacity even if it was only one time.
I hope you realize that sucking a bullet right into a target isn't worth as many points?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I was so dissatisfied with my foodsaver I used it for target practice. That way I could actually enjoy the product to the fullest capacity even if it was only one time.
That certainly is going to void your warranty.