MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
Smokin Okole
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Results of 1st brisket cook (pics included)

Well, since I got all that help from you guys, I guess it'd only be nice for me to give a recap as well as some pictures.

We went out to that Texas Spice Company (right down the road) and bought spices to make a rub. They had a prepared rub, so I bought one of those to test agaist the homemade one.

The first brisket is the homemade rub:

The second was slathered in apple sauce and then has their rub:

We decided to not put any rub on the fat of this one, just to see the difference.

My big mistake of the evening was not "marking" them with a toothpick or something, because I couldn't really tell the difference when I was done.

So now, I refer to them as "A" and "B", because I don't know which is which.

Brisket "A":

This one turned out GREAT! Cut great. Pulled apart easily, but not too easily. VERY GOOD!

Here's brisket "B":

This one was very juicy, yet tougher. It didn't pull apart nearly as easily. I don't know whether I just cooked it too much or whether it was a tougher piece of meat, or what.

Any tips on how to pick out briskets would be appreciated!

We cooked a bunch of fatties, since there were Jimmy Dean coupons in last Sunday's paper.

We cooked some normal ones and stuffeded others with Pepper Monterrey Jack along with diced jalapenos and diced red peppers. (one with just cheese/japs...another w/cheese/red....and one w/all 3)

I guess with all of these pictures, I should have labeled this thread NSFW.

I pulled em out at 170, foiled til 190 and threw em in a cooler. They were in there a little longer than I expected, because the cook was shorter than I planned.

I do have some questions, though, if anyone could help.

1. First, picking out a brisket. How do I get a good one? (This week was practice, and the big performance is Easter dinner)

2. My family likes their brisket "extra moist". Just cook it less?

3. In one thread, someone said they don't pull at 190, but when it "feels right". I have no idea what that means!!!
Smokin Okole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
bruno
Full Fledged Farker

Good detail. THe pics didn't load though. I would love to see the final results.

"That tastes like ****!"
bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
First, picking out a brisket. How do I get a good one
Pick one that's flexible in the package, and has a nice fat cap that isn't too thick.

Quote:
This is the tricky part of brisket, more done=more tender, less done=more juice. Finding that perfect balance is the trick, it's gets easier when you've done a few.

Quote:
3. In one thread, someone said they don't pull at 190, but when it "feels right". I have no idea what that means!!!
Some people feel how flexible the brisket is (floppier=doner), others use a fork to stab the brisket and see if you can twist the fork in the tender area of the meat. Still others use a thermometer probe to check how easily it inserts into the meat.

I recommend you try all of these when you cook briskets and you'll have the hang of it in no time.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

I see pics.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

First off- good looking' eats in anyones book!
Good job.

I do have some questions, though, if anyone could help.

1. First, picking out a brisket. How do I get a good one? (This week was practice, and the big performance is Easter dinner)

For "when it counts" try for Choice quality. Marbleizing will be a lot more consistent. Better quality in--better quality out.

Moisture is not a function of cook time (within reason). Texture is. For moisture, you need to inject or brine. Do a search here--lots of info on injecting brisket in particular. In addition, if your finish in foil (smart thing), save back the juice in the foil. Slice or chop the meat as desired and add back those YUMMY juices with rub and/or sauce as desired. Quickest way to moist brisket.

"Feels right" is a learned state. A thermo probe, toothpick, fork, or whatever, should go in with minimal resistance and it should feel like "butta". If you pick it up in the middle, it should freely droop to both sides without falling apart (good luck with that one). If you want to stick with temps--try 190 to 200 IN THE POINT for recreational Que. 190 to 195 IN THE FLAT will work at home, just fine

Exciting to do the first "big one" HUH?

good luck.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Smokin Okole
Knows what a fatty is.

ok...this all makes sense....so if the fam wants the brisket kinda falling apart, i should cook it more.....
Smokin Okole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Okole
ok...this all makes sense....so if the fam wants the brisket kinda falling apart, i should cook it more.....
Yeppers

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #8
Jersey BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Okole
Yep, and finish it in foil. Tender and juicy...

Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
icemn62
Babbling Farker

BTW, good looking meat. Congrats on the 1st brisket.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

For the fiirst time ever, I didn't foil my last one. The bark came out beautiful. Now I'm torn... because when I foil, yes, it stays very moist but the bark also becomes mushy. How do you guys avoid that when you wrap?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't worry about a slightly mushy bark for home cooking. If the fat cap is initially trimmed to like nothing, there's not a lot mush to deal with.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #12
Jeff_in_KC

TK, mine seems to come from the rubs I cake on top getting steamed in the foil and probably some spraying also.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #13
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ah - I don't cake mine with rub either. Sprinkle and pat mod.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #14
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
TK, mine seems to come from the rubs I cake on top getting steamed in the foil and probably some spraying also.
Me too, I reminded of this each time I do briskets, as I did last weekend. Here is how it goes:
  1. Start cooking the thing with a HEAVILY rubbed brisket that has been rubbed for a few hours or overnight
  2. Cook 5 ish hours and start getting impatient, intenral temps ~155-160
  3. At 5 30-ish hours, get really impatient and foil the damn things and put them in a hotter oven to finish cooking
  4. Remove, unrap, and enjoy a good brisket, with a mushy bark. :(
I always foil, and the 'bark' is always mushy. I have told myself, on my last 3 briskets, I WILL NOT FOIL THIS TIME. I always give in.

I think my mushy bark comes from the foil obviously, but also the fact that i really cake on the rub, too much I am sure. Interstingly, the bark on a butt prepared the same way is rarely mushy. this is almost certainly due to the sugar in my typical but rub. No sugar on the brisket...

So... next time ... I am going to NOT FOIL. i am also going to change up my brisket rub, and introduce ...sugar(gasp) to it.

next time...
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #15
Solidkick

Quote:
I always foil, and the 'bark' is always mushy. I have told myself, on my last 3 briskets, I WILL NOT FOIL THIS TIME. I always give in.
It's no sin to return to the cooker to let it bark back up....try it, you'll like it.....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote