MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Default Low temp experiment

I played around with a low temperature smoke gizmo today, and it seemed to work. I made a mini basket for my UDS. It is 4" in diameter, and about 8" tall. I only had galvanized hardware cloth, so I didn't cook anything, just did a trial burn. I loaded it with 3 briquets, then a chunk of hickory, some more briquets, and then another chunk. I lit it off with a propane torch on the bottom, and sat back to watch. I got 5 hours at less than 150 degrees. I'm thinking this would be a good set-up for jerky, and maybe fish. I could see having two of them, so if one dies out before the food is done, I could fire up the second one in a matter of minutes. I looked at the Smoke Daddy, but I want a little bit of heat to dry the jerky. Anyone try anything like this?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Not with a UDS. I've made jerky in a Traeger at about 170F and the assistance of the Traeger's convection fan constantly forcing air out the smoker. It still took 6 hours for the strips of beef I used.

If you're at less than 150 degrees, you're skating on the warm end of the "danger zone" in terms of bacteria growth. Anything lower than 141F, and you're promoting vigorous bacteria growth, especially in high moisture proteins like fish. Even if you're curing the meat with nitrites, I'd be wary of dipping less than 150.
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

I usually make jerky on a dehydrator, which I'm pretty sure is well below 150- it's barely warm. Why would 150 in a smoke-filled drum be any different? Fish is another story, although it is traditionally cold smoked at less than 100 degrees. I like my fish hot smoked, although not as high as my UDS runs- 225 to 250.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

I do fish at no more than 80 degrees

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2010, 02:55 AM   #5
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
I usually make jerky on a dehydrator, which I'm pretty sure is well below 150- it's barely warm. Why would 150 in a smoke-filled drum be any different? Fish is another story, although it is traditionally cold smoked at less than 100 degrees. I like my fish hot smoked, although not as high as my UDS runs- 225 to 250.
The difference is the convection fan. If the meat loses enough moisture fast enough, then it's not a problem. A UDS doesn't blow out the moist air out as fast as a dehyrdrator or a Traeger.

How long does jerky take in the dehydrator?
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Salt View Post
The difference is the convection fan. If the meat loses enough moisture fast enough, then it's not a problem. A UDS doesn't blow out the moist air out as fast as a dehyrdrator or a Traeger.

How long does jerky take in the dehydrator?

YEs, this is true, but the smoke itself is also an inhibitor. I'm interested in trying this myself, but would like some strict rules in this before I kill some-one.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

It usually takes 6-8 hours, depending upon how thick it is.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 AM   #8
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
It usually takes 6-8 hours, depending upon how thick it is.
Well, I'm interested in doing kangaroo fillets... so if you think about the thin end of a beef eye filllet, and about twice as fine in grain... that's about it.. Do you think that might be something I could do using your method? I'm thinking it might not take so long as that?

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Wow- Roo Jerky! I have no idea, of course. I slice the meat about 1/8" to 1/4" (3 to 6 mm). I would think at the same thickness, it would take about the same amount of time.