MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Grilling fruits?

Fruits have been discussed here by many as being grilled for a desert. I have done pineapple and peaches and don't believe I can remember doing any others.

I have noticed cantaloupe becoming more available and cheaper, had some the other day and it was very good. I have been thinking about grilling some which in it's self will probably work but was wondering about toppings.

Thinking a scoop of vanilla ice cream with maybe a splash of cognac. Any other ideas.
Dave

Old 07-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Sour cream mixed with light brown sugar and a dash of vanilla. Let it sit overnight so the sugar melts. I like to fill a half cantaloupe with blueberries and top with the sour cream sauce. It sounds weird, but it's AMAZING. Haven't tried the grilled cantaloupe, but I'd watch closely as it's pretty delicate. Might fall apart on you.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
redvert05
Full Fledged Farker

The only way I would grill cantaloupe would be if I was guaranteed that it would fall through the grates into the coals! Yeah, we like it that much!!

In fact, I may have to sell the Kettle afterwards!! But that's us!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post
Sour cream mixed with light brown sugar and a dash of vanilla. Let it sit overnight so the sugar melts. I like to fill a half cantaloupe with blueberries and top with the sour cream sauce. It sounds weird, but it's AMAZING. Haven't tried the grilled cantaloupe, but I'd watch closely as it's pretty delicate. Might fall apart on you.
This does sound good, as for it falling apart I will probably use skewers and larger cut sections or cubes, on skewers.
Dave

Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvert05 View Post
The only way I would grill cantaloupe would be if I was guaranteed that it would fall through the grates into the coals! Yeah, we like it that much!!

In fact, I may have to sell the Kettle afterwords!! But that's us!

I do love good cantaloupe but I understand your dislike for it, I have five children, all but one love it as much as I do and she absolutely will almost get sick to her stomach just looking at it.

On the upside if I new where you lived I could toss a cantaloupe on your cooker, when your not at home and buy it for cheap the next day.
Dave

Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

I grill bananas quite frequently. Most of the time just plain, once in a while I'll add some cinnamon. I've also done pineapple and avocado.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Mo-Dave

Avocado sounds good, they are on sale right now around me. My almost non cook wife loves them and really makes a great guacamole after discovering avocados and cilantro about the same time, I think she could just munch on cilantro all by it's self.
Dave

Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Agree with Bob. Bananas are a good choice for grilling. I've prepared a Bobby Flay dessert from one of his books that involves grilled bananas, an orange-juice based sauce and put over vanilla ice cream that has been a big big hit the two times I've prepared it.
Enkidu is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I'm going to do a few peaches tomorrow. Not sure how to tackle it though. I'm thinking of slicing down the middle. Removing the seed and grill.
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

You pretty much have it nailed with the peaches. halve em and on the grill. Only other way to get em to not fall in the grates is use a veggie mesh or skewer em. I actually have some nectarines, I might throw em on the grill tomorrow too.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
cameraman
Babbling Farker

you want to make sure you get freestone peaches if you want to remove the pit cleanly
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Watermelon on a screaming hot grill is pretty tasty.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote