MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #481
jon s
Knows what a fatty is.

I think lump has a higher burn temperature than briquettes. It also burns cleaner with less ash. Lumps are 100% coal while briquettes are made of composite materials.
jon s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #482
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcj3rd View Post
Why do they recommend lump over briquettes. It seems you would be able to control temps better with briquettes. Is there a problem if you don't use lump in this smoker? I ask because I just loaded up on the Kingsford charcoal sale HD had a couple weeks ago. Thanks
I have used lump and bricks. IMO they both work well.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #483
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

just pulled the trigger on one from gander mountain

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #484
ajmcedar
Full Fledged Farker

I don't believe you will regret it.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #485
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Well I broke down and bought a Char-Griller komado last night. Wanted to get one unassembled so I could put it together the way I wanted but they only had two in stock and both were assembled (the display and one they had assembled that day). We checked 3 other stores in the area and they had zero left in stock so I decided to pull the trigger as I was afraid they might get backordered and one might not be available for awhile.

Haven't yet seasoned it. Haven't even bought lump for it.

Should I go ahead and seal the air inlet with ATV Silicone before I season it?
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #486
Baggerhog
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Has anyone seen one of these in the Cincinnati Ohio area? I have checked Lowes, Meijer, and Ace and have not found one. For the money they look to be awesome.
Baggerhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #487
newpower
Knows what a fatty is.

I would just go ahead and seal it up. At the worst it will just make it easier to use and that ain't all bad!!

Ken
newpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #488
newpower
Knows what a fatty is.

All this talk about lump and briquettes! My thought is kingsford wants all the briquettes burning and ashed over. I assume that is to burn off the manufacturing gunk used in making them. I don't see how you could do that with a low and slow using the minion method. Maybe high heat briquettes, low and slow lump??

Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #489
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

One bit of new information I have learned about this cooker in my experience with it so far... It's easier to control your temperature, especially on the low and slow side of things, with Stubbs all-natural briquettes instead of lump. I cooked a couple butts the other day using Stubbs and instead of fighting to keep the temp lower, I actually had to open the vents a little to get it up to where I wanted it. I'll most likely be switching to natural briquettes in the future with this cooker when I'm targeting specific temps at 300 degrees or less... I'll use lump for hotter cooking...

Old 04-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #490
newpower
Knows what a fatty is.

So just the opposite of what I thought! Go figure!!
Ken

Old 04-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #491
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by newpower View Post
So just the opposite of what I thought! Go figure!!
Ken
Ashing over has nothing to do with any ingredients in the briquettes... it's just so the briquettes will be producing an even heating surface for your food.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #492
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Great info JM. I'm still waiting for a review of the B&B natural oak briquettes. Hoping for good news, low ash, clean burn, etc.

AustinKnight was supposed to do a cook with them, but haven't heard a peep...

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #493
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggerhog View Post
Has anyone seen one of these in the Cincinnati Ohio area? I have checked Lowes, Meijer, and Ace and have not found one. For the money they look to be awesome.
Check your local Kroger's, they may have some in stock. My local Kroger has the wooden shelves model for $299. YMMV
retired trucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #494
jon s
Knows what a fatty is.

Are there any other 100% natural coal briquettes? I thought all briquettes are made of composite materials...
jon s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #495
RoadHawgBBQ
Got Wood.

My local Lowes finally have them and i bought one initially.. i am gonna get up to 3 as a back up for my FEC 100 . Doing the initial burn and will get a tru temp temp gauge to replace the one furnished. Also missing some hex bolts and nuts for my side tables. The box was previously opened and retaped.
RoadHawgBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado