MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #361
cropduster
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I've made one of these out of expanded metal for my keg. I also used stainless hardware to fasten it together, however I'm going to work on a 2nd one soon and going to try to use stainless zip ties instead of bolts and washers. The biggest benefit IMO is keeping the lump closer together for more consistent burns, however the lump should be packed fairly tight. You won't be able to make different sizes, because you have limited room to work with, too tall and your diffuser will be sitting right on top of it. Too wide and you might not as well even use one.
Excellent points and the stainless ties are a better way to go. Easier for sure. I'm thinking this thing should be about 6.5" height and 11"- 12" diameter. I think that would be optimal for this cooker. I don;t know how much lump would fit into those dims. but I will weigh it after I build it.

My guess is about 3.5-4.25 lbs.
cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #362
cropduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfred View Post
So what is the consensus on this product? Seems like it's pretty good based on 24 pages of comments

Is it as good as a big green egg (or other ceramic) or a big steel keg? Or is it just another good cooker to add to my collection.
I was looking at BGEs when I came across this one online in mid-December. I have never used a BGE but have had food that was cooked on them before. Just from a practical perspective, I can't see how there could be much, if any difference as far as the taste of the food. I see zero difference in terms of function. I think these are going to be a huge success for Char-Griller and for Lowes. Mines been sitting on my deck since December and I only bought the cover for it about two weeks ago. I don't see any signs of rust or wear. Worst case is the interior shell lasts about as long as a Weber kettle lid. From my observations thus far with a decent cover, proper seasoning of the grate, this thing will serve you well for many, many years. I did some of the mods. to insure a tight seal at the top daisywheel damper and the lower damper. I'm not seeing smoke escaping when I close it off. The ash pan seal is tight. I like the design of the new lid damper better then mine but with a stronger spring and washer that I added plus the gunk from a few cooks, it's tight.

Last edited by cropduster; 03-19-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #363
LostArrow
Full Fledged Farker

The chargriller akorn has been taken off lowes site?
LostArrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #364
cropduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostArrow View Post
The chargriller akorn has been taken off lowes site?
It appears you are correct.

Very strange indeed.
Wonder why that is?

Has anyone called Lowes or CG to find out why?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #365
density524
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default $299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

If nothing else the Char-Griller Kamado got picked up by Ace for their 2012 BBQ assortment. Possible with Ace rolling it out, Lowes is switching to a different model - or making Char-griller change the packaging/name some more.

Of course Ace also added the Big Joe, and already had the regular Kamado Joe - so potentially you could see 3 different brand/size/price-point Kamado style BBQs in a bigger Ace store. But they're all going to hit a higher retail that Lowe's was selling the Akorn for.

The one I picked up has the newer black cast top vent, black/silver paint, but it's got a different box(without any mention of Akorn). Has wood plank side tables, and handle. Black body, and improved top vent like the Lowes version, Wood side tables like the 'Big Red' Menards version had.

Bottom vent still has the noticable(and easily cured with sealant) air-gap. They're also still putting the hard to remove(without solvents) sticker on the inside of the lid too(upside down to boot).

Dave
density524 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #366
cropduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
Just take a piece of expanded metal and make a cylinder out of it without a bottom and set in down on top of the fire grate. Put your lump into it and fire it up.

Your idea was a good one. I have not tested it yet, but I made it.
I was at the Lowes near me to get some painting supplies and I thought I'd pick up the expanded metal and stainless cable ties if they had the items. They did. The expanded metal was $10 for a 2'x1' piece of medium gauge. The ties were $3.

I have a pair of heavy duty shears so I measured the 6" mark and cut it to two 2'X6" lengths. I cable tied with some overlap and used a 5 gal. bucket as a "form" while I wrapped it and cable tied the other side. Expanded metal is not the easiest stuff to work with and gloves are a necessity unless you want your hands looking like pizza or hamburger.
Also, I tried to round the razor sharp points where I had cut, including the cable ties with my bench grinder and my drill with a grinding wheel on it.

I'll try it probably Sunday if it doesn't rain. I think it will distribute the heat a bit more broadly and evenly then the duct reducer which I believe had somewhat of a chimney effect. Although a decent diffuser would probably correct that. Bottom line, for sure it will serve my original intended purpose to allow for portion control of the lump and to contain it better.

Here are some pics. also, since it was so warm and sunny yesterday, I sanded and stained the wooden side shelves with some leftover acrylic deck stain. The original finish was kind of humble and was not holding up well. Density524, I believe mine to be the same color as yours and certainly not the jet black of the Lowes edition. I have the stainless damper. With an earlier mod (rtf high temp. sealant)and some gunk buildup, it works fine although the black cast metal on the more models is definitely a design improvement.

Do you think Weber will come out with a Kamado? They essentially already manufacture the main components. Would be a great addition to their range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0032 - Copy.jpg (81.3 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0034 - Copy.jpg (93.3 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0037 - Copy.jpg (81.7 KB, 565 views)

Last edited by cropduster; 03-21-2012 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Added info.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #367
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good Cropduster! Anxious to see how it works out for you. By the way, my local Kroger is selling the Acorn. It also has the wood shelves. Their price for it with a Kroger Card is $299. Don't understand why Lowes dropped It . My local Lowes had their Acorns on display as far from the other smokers (re: BGE and other Ceramics:) as they could and still be in the store. They had none on their outside display. Maybe has something to do with their contract with BGE? Just speculatin' here.
retired trucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #368
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

I've never seen a BGE in Lowes and I've been in quite a few of them lately.
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #369
cropduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
Looks good Cropduster! Anxious to see how it works out for you. By the way, my local Kroger is selling the Acorn. It also has the wood shelves. Their price for it with a Kroger Card is $299. Don't understand why Lowes dropped It . My local Lowes had their Acorns on display as far from the other smokers (re: BGE and other Ceramics:) as they could and still be in the store. They had none on their outside display. Maybe has something to do with their contract with BGE? Just speculatin' here.
Thanks retired trucker!
I'll post some follow up once i try it out.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #370
Elrik
On the road to being a farker

It is still up on the Canadian site. I wonder if they bought a lot and have already burned through them.
Elrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #371
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

I talked to a manager at Lowe's who said this was going to be a permanent addition to their inventory. Having said that, it's possible he didn't know what he was talking about though he sure seemed confident in his answer.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #372
PrinceofQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
I talked to a manager at Lowe's who said this was going to be a permanent addition to their inventory. Having said that, it's possible he didn't know what he was talking about though he sure seemed confident in his answer.
I was also told this at 2 of my local Lowe's stores. Also the Lowe's website used to have it listed twice, so I wonder if they are updating the site.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #373
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I wrote a nice long review of it on the Lowes site and they flagged it as a featured review (out of the 3 reviews that existed.) I hope that's not gone... lol

Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #374
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.lowes.com/pd_131712-49769...7C1&facetInfo=

"this item is no longer available on lowes.com"
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #375
lola
Knows what a fatty is.

I was told by the local store manager, and the customer service rep on the telephone that these were and will be available from the stores but they were not going to sell them via the internet any longer. They said there was an issue getting sufficient inventory to keep the store stocked and internet sales covered, so it will be an in store only item from now. Don't know how true this is, but it sounded logical when they told me.

lola
lola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado