Brisket UN-appreciation thread

Some guys don't like women either. Just sayin'.

120443565.jpg

I'm sorry... I started reading this thread and then got distracted... what were we talking about again?

I like waffles, pancake haters chime in

I'd put my fast smoked rotissiere tri-tips on the table next to most anyone brisket- no sauce or marinade or injections in either one?
betcha mines gone first

HI tim

Please keep in mind I am a Pork guy (^^^see my name^^^) from NC.

I have competed in KCBS events, and I have tasted brisket that some claim to be the best (certainly not mine), and the bottom line?

Fantastic Brisket is at best...mediocre.

Out of the 4 KCBS categories, brisket is my least favorite to eat, and my 2nd favorite to cook.

I couldn't agree more, I actually feel sorry for folks who live in the part of the country where this cut is considered king (read Texas) :heh:

Now don't be insulting our brisket down here. Just for that I will have to have an extra portion for dinner! I love brisket regardless of whether it is smoked, corned beef or pastrami:thumb:Don't even know what a Tri-tip is. Don't feel sorry for us, that just leaves more for us! I wouldn't be caught dead that side of the divide!

So what I gather from the couple of posts I read, this thread is for people who can't cook brisket?

It is not the cooking part I have issues with.
I've done ok on my brisket in comps (never walked on it, but never in bottom 1/3 either)

There is such better cuts of beef out there.

Just so happens I just picked up a 16lb packer, and am doing to it what brisket does best- Pastrami. :becky:

Just so happens I just picked up a 16lb packer, and am doing to it what brisket does best- Pastrami. :becky:

That is a fact right there, a brisket flats only good use.

Prime Rib > Lowly Tri-Tip.

I think you meant to post this in the Prime Rib UNappreciation thread :wink:

I'm confused, why does the United Nations have appreciation for one type of meat over any other? Won't that start a fight? Kinda the opposite of their mission. Shame on them.

Hmmm...we don't have tri-tip around here, but it sounds more like a steak to me...the way its cooked. I have however tried pastrami. Uh...nothing like a well cooked brisket without cure on it. No cure, no injection...just the beef ma'am. :hand:

I'm sorry. I'm just a northern boy who likes to dabble with smoke on his old weber kettle but I have to respectfully disagree with this thread. I have visited Texas numerous times and when I get my big old meathooks on a good brisket sammich it is something extremely special and can't be put into a "boneless, skinless, tasteless, chicken" category.

Behind my uncle's place there was a "party ranch" that used to be a working cattle ranch but had a subdivision spring up around it. So the owners turned their job into putting on parties for really rich folks. I would get to tour their massive pits and help them stack up cords of east texas pecan. If the brisket that came off those old-school pits wasn't special than I don't know what is.

I'm sorry. I'm just a northern boy who likes to dabble with smoke on his old weber kettle but I have to respectfully disagree with this thread. I have visited Texas numerous times and when I get my big old meathooks on a good brisket sammich it is something extremely special and can't be put into a "boneless, skinless, tasteless, chicken" category.

Behind my uncle's place there was a "party ranch" that used to be a working cattle ranch but had a subdivision spring up around it. So the owners turned their job into putting on parties for really rich folks. I would get to tour their massive pits and help them stack up cords of east texas pecan. If the brisket that came off those old-school pits wasn't special than I don't know what is.

I'm going to unconditionally forgive you, due to the fact you are probably a Vikings fan :crazy:

Back