MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #46
alamar
Found some matches.

I was able to get one packer per rack. The height is a little tight but they do fit. You may have to put the thickest one on the top rack for a little additional clearance.
alamar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #47
PWHiltz
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hey Al if that's all that fits we both might have buy another one then. LOL

Old 04-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #48
alamar
Found some matches.

My unit does not have the probe port but I have found you can run the wires in via the hinge side of the door so they do not get in the way when opening the door.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #49
alamar
Found some matches.

Perry, If I need to smoke more than 8 packers at a time, I will give you a call....LOL

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #50
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamar View Post
I was able to get one packer per rack. The height is a little tight but they do fit. You may have to put the thickest one on the top rack for a little additional clearance.
How big were the packers? I bought 8lb and 9lb packers last night. I forgot to test fit them. I have a small family so anything bigger and I have to cut them down the middle length-wise and smoke them individually.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #51
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamar View Post
My unit does not have the probe port but I have found you can run the wires in via the hinge side of the door so they do not get in the way when opening the door.
How many cooks have you done this on? I was wondering if that would eventually damage the cables? I don't have the probe port either. I never had an issue on my offset or vertical with the cables in the doors.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])

Old 04-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #52
Baptized in Smoke
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinGuitarPlayer View Post
Just for the record we now have 4 of these smokers in stock and I am getting quite used to running and cooking on them Lower temps are not a problem using a Guru as long as you start it slow and block off the 2nd inlet. I also made a mod to Kevin's Guru adapter to get a better seal and that is really working great. I have 3 Entertainers and 1 60" in stock. I am stocking mostly with the stainless water pan .... I 'll post some pics soon.
Can you tell us or show us what modifications you did to the GURU adapter to help the seal?

Last edited by Baptized in Smoke; 04-18-2014 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: Mis-spelling
Baptized in Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #53
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptized in Smoke View Post
Can you tell us or show us what modifications you did to the GURU adapter to help the seal?
Is it that bad that you have to make modifications for it to work?

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #54
pjtexas1

No. But we like to tinker with things. I'm trying a maze today. It's designed to use water but I'm not a big fan of using water. So I want to see how that works.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #55
Bigr314
Babbling Farker

Congrats on the cooker.
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 RF with warmer(Boss Hogg)

Tab Benoit- Must listen to this artist. A cross between southern blues,Stevie Ray, and Louisiana cajun. Great listening while having a brew and tending the stick burner.
Bigr314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #56
alamar
Found some matches.

I was able to put one 14-15 lb packer per rack....no need to cut them down outside of the normal trimming of the fat

Old 04-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #57
pjtexas1

I was able to get a 8lb & 9.5lb on a rack together. A little tight but they fit. The burn times are really good with a maze. I was able to go 8 hours with 2-3 chimneys of charcoal and 5 or 6 pecan chunks before it dropped below 250. Ran 250-300 the whole time. Ran it with water half way thru the cook. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get to 225. No preheating.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #58
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
No. But we like to tinker with things. I'm trying a maze today. It's designed to use water but I'm not a big fan of using water. So I want to see how that works.
In addition to moisture, the water is a big heat sink. Replace the water with sand, that should give the heat sink benefit back to you. IT will also cut down the risk of grease fires with dripping fat hitting the hot bare plate of the water pan.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #59
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinGuitarPlayer View Post
Just for the record we now have 4 of these smokers in stock and I am getting quite used to running and cooking on them Lower temps are not a problem using a Guru as long as you start it slow and block off the 2nd inlet. I also made a mod to Kevin's Guru adapter to get a better seal and that is really working great. I have 3 Entertainers and 1 60" in stock. I am stocking mostly with the stainless water pan .... I 'll post some pics soon.
Fred's got lots of great toys in his shop, highly recommend a trip there for anyone in driving distance.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #60
TurnerBBQ
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Can't wait till my Abe's 48" get to me looking forward to cooking on my smoker
TurnerBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote