• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS 7 Bone Chuck Roast

Joe Steel

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'm having a great time playing around with the UDS.

A week or so ago, I was on-call and anchored to the house. Perfect excuse to play on the UDS.

Found this 4 pound piece of meat labeled as a "Beef Chuck 7 Bone Pot Roast". Looked more like a slab of beef to me than what I would call a "roast". When I hear "roast", I think of a large hunk of meat shaped more like a football than a steak, but... I'm fairly new to this.

I knocked out a little research here on this forum and here's what I came up with.

Rubbed the meat down with some Montreal Steak seasoning that I had on the shelf. Then got 'er on the smoker.

Here's the "Chuckie" (is that right?) after about 4 hrs in the 220 - 240 range. (For some reason it came from the butcher with the slice down the middle)
IMG_1065.jpg

Went into foil after that. I tried monitoring the internal temp of the meat with the probe through the foil. But when it read 205 I brought it in for inspection. Seemed not ready and I was getting different temps when it was unwrapped (lower, and all over the board depending on where I probed it). So I threw it back on and just let it go.

After about 3.5 hrs in the foil I pulled it and stuck it with the temperature probe. That is when the lightbulb went off. "Slides in like buttah". I knew it was done without even reading the gauge.

IMG_1068.jpg

Easily pulled apart for shredded beef sandwiches. Here's the yield off a 4 pound roast. Total cook time about 8 hrs.

IMG_1071.jpg

Thanks for this great resource of information and a place to share my pron :)

Back