MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #46
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Thanks, guys. There are some nice looking brethren entries in this one, for sure. Lot's of tough competition; but, there always is at this site.

Kevin, I'd love to hear about those tortillas.
Trying not to hijack here but, if you have left over Masa that you have prepared for Tamales with mucho lard, DO NOT attempt to make tortillas with this in a heated tortilla press. Just sayin' It will explode, all over your kitchen walls. I laughed my arse off and when my bride wasn't keeping an eye on me, did it again to prove the theory. Dang was she pizzed.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #47
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Big Al, BoShizzle, great entries guys!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #48
ljh34465
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow, Bo - those look like huge tostadas I don't know if I could pick one of those up even with flexible tortillas.

Too bad you are not into presentation - love the table with the condiments and the veggie shot on the grill - well done. Would guess they all tasted at least as good as they looked.
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #49
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard
Default Kobe Beef Carne Asada Tacos On Homemade Tortillas

OK, this is not really Kobe beef, but with all of the rich marbling it had, it sure looked the part! So for the record, this is actually USDA Choice Skirt Steak I cherry picked from Costco.

Here's a close up:

Time to prepare the marinade. I assembled orange juice, sliced onions, cilantro:

Here is the meat, seasoned on both sides ready to go into the marinade:

Your eyes do not deceive you - that IS a bottle of Lawry's and McCormack BBQ seasoning behind the meat. Besides the other marinade ingredients, this is my secret. I lightly season each side of meat with the Lawry's and then a liberal coating of the BBQ seasoning before I throw it in with the other marinade ingredients. If you're wondering if this is authentic or not, it most certainly is, and is very similar to what many Mexican carnicerias use on their carne asada.

So once I put the meat in with the other ingredients in a ziploc bag, I put it in the fridge to marinate overnight.

The following evening, I set up my Kingsford oval for a reverse sear with a few chunks of oak, and set the meat on the indirect side to cook slowly and take a nice smoke bath:

After about 20 mins, I moved the meat to the hot side for the final sear:

After I pulled the meat, I let it rest for about 20 mins. meanwhile, the missus got her tortilla press out and cranked out a bunch of homemade tortillas.

As I cut into the meat, it was perfectly medium rare and plenty juicy.

Here's two tacos plated, topped with homemade pico de gallo and extra hot salsa roja:

I can honestly say these were the best tacos I have ever eaten, due largely to the fresh tortillas and the amazingly richly marbled meat I lucked out on scoring!

Please use the above photo for the throwdown.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #50
deguerre

Taco Salad With Prime Rib.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taco salad.jpg (136.0 KB, 122 views)
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #51
leanza
Babbling Farker

This thread is like a taco extravaganza!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #52
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

Bo...homemade tortillas? Awesome!
Moose...sort of kobe beef? Very nice!
Nards! Guess I'll have to cheat to win. Anyone who votes for me can split 50% of my winnings. We do get one of those giant Happy Gilmore style checks if we win right?
Big_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #53
Boshizzle

Moose and deguerre, looks good!

Thanks, Big Al! A giant check would be good!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #54
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Trying not to hijack here but, if you have left over Masa that you have prepared for Tamales with mucho lard, DO NOT attempt to make tortillas with this in a heated tortilla press. Just sayin' It will explode, all over your kitchen walls. I laughed my arse off and when my bride wasn't keeping an eye on me, did it again to prove the theory. Dang was she pizzed.
That sounds like fun! The best part seems to be the wife's reaction. That alone will make me try it.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #55
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh34465 View Post
Wow, Bo - those look like huge tostadas I don't know if I could pick one of those up even with flexible tortillas.

Too bad you are not into presentation - love the table with the condiments and the veggie shot on the grill - well done. Would guess they all tasted at least as good as they looked.

Thanks, bro. I ate that taco within two minutes of taking that photo. No problem picking it up. It was one tasty meal!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #56
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Bo, that is one of the finest looking fish tacos I have laid my eyes on! Bravo!

Question: What did you use to season the Pork and Beef? I'm dying to know!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #57
Boshizzle

Moose,

Thanks! I rubbed the pork with Yardbird and cumin when I BBQ'd it. The beef was rubbed with sea salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion power, and chipotle, if I remember correctly.

I mixed both the beef and the pork with about 2 TBS of adobo sauce, one pureed chipotle, and some salsa for the taco filling. The chipotle made it a bit spicey for some of my guests. I believe I had some lime juice in the mix too. I squeezed a lot of limes for that meal.

Those tacos of yours look so good. If I was a betting man, I'd bet Costco packaged up prime beef as choice.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #58
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Tacos a Plenty.

Here is a link the the thread about these 4 different Tacos; Including
a great Dessert Taco.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...95#post1326095

Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #59
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

HOLY TACO GRILLMAN! Those look crazy good! Nice work!
Big_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #60
Starstripes
Found some matches.

The wife and I were having a pleasant dinner outside on Monday night, until I realized that I had made tacos.... a chance to enter my first Brethren Throwdone! Don't have any grilling photos since I was already through my first helping before I grabbed the camera.

Starstripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Tags
Fold your own tortilla, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread