Grilled Filet Mignon Pizza! - Tons of Pr0n

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I love pizza. Love, love, love, LOVE IT. And obviously I love to grill. Ironically, I don’t do that many grilled pizzas. Well, my OCD kicked in on this subject and I went all out with some pizzas. Smoked salmon pizza, pear and prosciutto pizza, and pesto fresh mozzarella pizzas are a few that we’ve made recently along with this grilled steak pizza. We did this pizza on a local TV station in a live grilling demo in a piece about skipping burgers and brats for Labor Day and doing a pizza bar around the grill. I’ll put the video up soon, so check back.
Grilled Steak Pizza Ingredients
6 ounce filet mignon/beef tenderloin, grilled rare
Coarse salt and fresh black pepper to taste
2 tsp Andria’s Steak Sauce
1 tbsp flour or 2 tbsp corn meal
16 ounce fresh pizza dough ball
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1/8 cup Andria’s Steak Sauce (yes, we will be using Andria’s twice)
8 oz, fresh grated mozzarella
4 oz fresh grated asiago
4 oz Gorgonzola cheese crumbles (this is based on taste. Go less if you want it a little less pungent)
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-009.jpg
Ingredients

Let’s get to the meat of the recipe. Get the filet mignon out of the fridge and hit it with some coarse salt and fresh cracked black pepper on both sides and let it come up to room temperature for about 30 minutes:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-022.jpg
The Filet Mignon

Prepare the grill for high heat grilling and sear on one side:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-028.jpg
Mmmmm, Steak on the Grill

Sear for a couple minutes, depending on the heat of the grill (this was a Char-Broil TRU Infrared, so it was cranked up to about 700), rotate 45 degrees and repeat for a couple minutes and then flip to reveal the cross hatch grill marks:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-036.jpg
Cross Hatch!

Then put a teaspoon of the Andria’s Steak Sauce on the side that was seared and spread it around:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-039.jpg
Spread the Andria’s

Then sear on the other side and then hit it with the Andria’s again:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-045.jpg
Seared on the other side

Grilled-Steak-Pizza-053.jpg
Sauced

I flipped the filet mignon over a few times, letting it sear for maybe 60 seconds at a time to help caramelize the Andria’s onto the meat. I did not bake this on the other side of the grill like I normally do to continue grilling it. I pulled it off the grill and went inside to get the crust ready and turned the grill down to about 500 degrees and closed the lid.
Spread corn meal or flour on a cutting board, in this case flour:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-025.jpg
Spread the flour

Before removing the dough from the bag (I bought a premade one from Tader Joe’s for something like $1.20), put your palm in the flour so the dough does not stick to your fingers too bad and set in the middle of the flour and let come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Looking back, I should’ve done this before I cooked the steak.
Roll and kneed the dough ball into something resembling a pizza crust:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-057.jpg
The raw crust

This is as pretty and symmetrical as the crust will be so don’t get too attached to it. The crust will wind up a little misshapen, but that adds to the charm
Now spread 1 tbsp of olive oil over the crust with a pastry brush. 1 tbsp may not be enough, add more as you need, making sure to cover it edge to edge:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-059.jpg
Hit it with the oil

Grilled-Steak-Pizza-061.jpg
Oiled

Now most people think they need one of these to make a grilled pizza:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-011.jpg
Pizza Stone

I used to make all my pizzas on one of these, and still do from time to time, but this method rocks with fresh dough. I was worried that since my cast iron grates on the Char-Broil TRU Infrared are not all that clean, that I would wind up with a bunch of gunk on the dough. I did give the grates a good once over with a wire brush after I grilled the steak, but that was about it. Then I picked up the dough form the two far corners farthest for me, lifted it up and placed it oil side down on the hot grill:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-064.jpg
On the grill

How hot is the grill?
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-102.jpg
The bottom number is the current temp

Don’t go anywhere. This doesn’t take very long. It starts to bubble almost immediately:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-068.jpg
Bubbling

Normally I leave the bubbles but that’s a huge bubble so I popped it because too much of the middle of the crust would not cook as much as the outer edge. After about three minutes on the grill, I rotated it 45 degrees then hit it with the other tbsp of olive oil:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-075.jpg
Bubble popped and oiled

Don’t worry that it looks a little mangled on that side. You’ll understand in a minute.
After three more minutes, I took it off the grill and put it on the cutting board:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-081.jpg
Yes, I cross hatched my pizza crust!

Now hit it with the 1/8 cup of Andria’s Steak Sauce. Don’t coat it heavily. Just a glazing of the side which might be a little more or less than the 1/8 cup depending on the size of your dough:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-083.jpg
Mmmmm, Andria’s

Grilled-Steak-Pizza-088.jpg
Sauced

Now for the 8 ounces of mozzarella:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-089.jpg
First layer of cheese

Then the 4 ounces of grated asiago (you can substitute fresh parm or romano)
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-090.jpg
Second layer of cheese

We can’t have grilled steak pizza without steak:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-092.jpg
Filet Mignon

Grilled-Steak-Pizza-095.jpg
Steak on the Pizza

Now for the Gorgonzola. I’ve made this a couple times. Once with some blue cheese from a specialty cheese shop that was quite pungent. It overpowered the pizza. This is a Gorgonzola made by my local grocery store. It was a lot less pungent and made the pizza very well balanced in terms of flavor. If you go with the heartier blue, you might want to go lighter.
I tried to get a little crumble of the Gorgonzola on most of the chunks of filet mignon as well as in and around the steak:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-097.jpg
Third layer of cheese

Back on the grill:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-099.jpg
Almost done!

Keep checking the bottom to tell when the grilled steak pizza is done. If you only judge by the cheese on top, you can easily burn it. When the crust is golden brown on the bottom like this, pull it:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-103.jpg
Golden Crust

I pulled the grilled steak pizza and put it on the cutting board:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-111.jpg
Ready to serve

Plated:
Grilled-Steak-Pizza-114.jpg
Plated

My wife and children both loved this pizza. My wife called it a steak sandwich on a pizza. Makes sense. Bread (dough), cheese, steak sauce. But most steak sandwiches don’t use filet. And it seems a little much for pizza right? Well, if I used strips of sirloin, and you bit into one and didn’t slice clean through, you’d wind up with some hot cheese on your chin. With the uber tender filet mignon, that doesn’t happen. That and we like to go over the top here on GrillinFools.com. This is one of my favorite pizzas.

Also, you can follow the Grillin’ Fools on their Facebook page where you can post your grilling pictures, share a grilling recipe or two, or join the general grilling conversation. You can follow them on Twitter @GrillinFool

Nice pie brother! I love it, except now I have to go order some of that sauce!

Back