MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Default Is the Mobile Food truck business a fad or here to stay?

Just curious what y'alls thoughts are on the food truck business and its future. It seems to me it is nothing more than glorified roadside vending that's been going on for umpteen years. But for whatever reason it is now the latest craze across the country. Thoughts?

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

i think it's here to stay. it's such a great alternative to running a full size B&M establishment, considering the potentially lower start-up costs and flexibility one has with it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
gtr

I think here in SoCal the fad part is over and now it's just another way of buying or selling food and it looks to me like it'll be around for a while.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

It's here until the B&M guys get them regulated out if existence. Here in Des Moines the city council is cracking down on the mobile food business. Most of them serve Mexican food and I am of sure how many of them are licensed, and the council is trying to put then out of business because they don't look good on the corner vacant lots where they are set up.

I think it comes down to a regional thing. Here they would be open about 8 months out if the year. For it to succeed, I feel you need to be open every day.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It's a big deal in D.C., but the B&M joints hate them, and are trying to put the screws to get them
put in some zone where it's inconvenient. Politics.
In NYC, you walk down Wall Street or lower Manhattan and get a dog or pizza
and it's GOOD. They are vending carts, not roach coaches.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

all depends on where you live. If there's festivals, or a reliable place to park it and do consistent business. It's going to stay. Up here on Long Island. I think it's part fad, part something we'll see for a long time. Out by me there's 50 vineyards, most of which are very receptive to the idea of a food truck(as long as they don't already have food). There's also 2 annual food truck festivals, and there are a few guys running roadside food trucks who do consistent business. Its a tough call. I think ultimately it's a great add on to a B&M, as a stand alone there's a lot of hoops to jump thru.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Was just recently reading this,

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2014/05..._truck_era.php

In NYC it is really expensive to get into the food truck space. That coupled with regulatory hoops and the winter months, a lot of guys are figuring out that the money just isn't there. There is a link to a Crains article in that post.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Never in a million years could I have thought about opening a restaurant but for the investment of the average cost of a new car I started a mobile food business and have been very successful. I think it's here to stay.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree that they are here to stay in one form or another. They may end up being more regional due to over regulation in some areas. The point made by others regarding the lower overhead compared to a B&M is very valid and imho this is what will keep them around.

A B&M has some advantages but a food truck has advantages over a B&M. With a truck you can "serve" multiple markets. We have friends in the BBQ biz that have one and they use Twitter and FB to inform their customers where they will be on any given day. In rural areas like ours the ability to "move" your business around increases your sales and ups your gross which would be near impossible out of a B&M that is anchored in one small town.

Personally, I hope they do stick around. The B&M's need some healthy competition.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
landarc

I agree with Greg, they were a fad, but, at some point, fad becomes another reality. And that is what they are now. We have many options to dine out here, but, the food trucks offer a wide variety and are popular for many reasons. One of which is not about costs, as many trucks end up costing more than what you would get at a B&M. It is about how many people socialize now, with a preference for group activities and with a tendency to 'want what you want'. We see the "Off-the-Grid" events out here, attended by thousands of people. They end up being the event itself, with people hanging out all day, drifitng from truck to truck, 'noshing' throughout the evening.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

They aren't super popular around here. there are a few but not many. In my town B & M's are petitioning to put a limit on local licenses via ordinances. In my opinion, a decent parking lot with 20 food trucks would be an excellent "food court" where picky families could satisfy everyone's food cravings. When my kids were younger we went to the food court at the local mall, everyone was happy.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

HBMTN - DO you just pick and choose your venues, do you just do weekends, or everyday? Or somewhere in between?
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
FlavorSavor
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
Never in a million years could I have thought about opening a restaurant but for the investment of the average cost of a new car I started a mobile food business and have been very successful. I think it's here to stay.

Where you located?

Old 05-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #14
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorSavor View Post
Where you located?
Just south of you in Rockbridge County, Fairfield to be exact.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
HBMTN - DO you just pick and choose your venues, do you just do weekends, or everyday? Or somewhere in between?
I mostly cater these days but sell road side sometimes along with a few festivals. I am available for catering 7 days a week but usually vend on Saturdays when I do vend. I work full time for family so I can take off work to cater anytime. I will most likely go 100% BBQ in the next year.