Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Barn Burner Libertyville IL

So, bad news is that I won't be competing. I agreed to judge the event but will look to see some of these legends before I step into closed sessions.

Good luck to all...I know it's going to be a great competition!

For anyone planning on showing up tonight, Kathy just called, and despite earlier e-mail and calls telling me that power would be available tonight, it WILL NOT be available until tomorrow morning.

When did arriving on Thursday become an option? Had I known we would have been there with our generator. Could have taken yesterday off and been out there at noon today.

Website said nothing about early arrivals. Said they'd be open at 8 am tomorrow.

Been waiting 2 years to get back....it'd be nice to have the same info as other teams?
Do we need to know a secret handshake or something?

When did arriving on Thursday become an option? Had I known we would have been there with our generator. Could have taken yesterday off and been out there at noon today.

Website said nothing about early arrivals. Said they'd be open at 8 am tomorrow.

Been waiting 2 years to get back....it'd be nice to have the same info as other teams?
Do we need to know a secret handshake or something?

I asked. We did it two years ago.

Sorry RonL

Having been through too many "exceptions" at comps, you should NOT need to ask if you can set up earlier than the posted times. EVERY paying entrant should be informed of that, perhaps with a time restriction.

As of now, it's just total BS . . . Please define who's so much more "special".

If everyone is not notified of the opportunity to arrive when it bests suits their schedule, it automatically creates an unfair advantage and a sense of entitlement.

I don't think its an unfair advantage or any sense of entitlement. All it takes is to ask. I do it at just about every contest. I'd rather get my rig in before the cluster starts in the morning. East peasy

Having been through too many "exceptions" at comps, you should NOT need to ask if you can set up earlier than the posted times. EVERY paying entrant should be informed of that, perhaps with a time restriction.

As of now, it's just total BS . . . Please define who's so much more "special".

If everyone is not notified of the opportunity to arrive when it bests suits their schedule, it automatically creates an unfair advantage and a sense of entitlement.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I certainly don't feel entitled. When I saw the site layout that Kathy sent out a couple of weeks ago I figured that it would be tight getting parked with the trailer so I asked it it was possible to drop off on Thursday night. It's really that simple. No special treatment or entitlement involved.

Just would have been nicer had it been posted. As I said, had we known we'd be set up as well.

Missed a couple years but didn't recall being able to do this in the past. But then again, early set up of the pop up wouldn't have been an option.
Its all good....maybe we'll see you on 294 this morning. :).

You guys crack me up. If you ever need something from me it is best to ask. The organizers can not guess every possible scenario. I bet they have actual day jobs.

I'm going to try to stop by tonight. I can bring anything but heat, so let me know if anyone needs anything.

Just would have been nicer had it been posted. As I said, had we known we'd be set up as well.

Missed a couple years but didn't recall being able to do this in the past. But then again, early set up of the pop up wouldn't have been an option.
Its all good...year you on 294 this morning.OTE]

They didn't have it listed. When I actually emailed Kathy, she didn't have a clue what I was talking about (rookie organized) and had to check. I explained that is how I usually did it in the past and she said OK. The only year that I didn't drop off and/or stay for the night was last yesrand I pulled in at 7:30 am on friday so I could pull my RV in without getting blocked

I thing you're right Scottie, my bad for not asking. It was her first one, and with no band Friday, no food vendors, a DJ and the band they had Saturday, guess it was obvious.

Hopefully they do better next time, and I'll ask ahead if I can either do early drop off or just arrive Thursday.

We took our time getting out Saturday evening as we had a lot of folks in front of us. One team left behind 1 and 1/2 22" WSM's, a folding table, and a huge fire pit. :shock:

The cleanup guys asked me if it was mine....should have said yes, but instead told him no, but if nobody contacted them about picking up I'd be happy to do so! Gave them a card. It'd be an add from the perfectly good Weber OTS one of my neighbors left on the curb a couple of weeks ago!

Kind of a tough year for us, only 1 call in 6 comps. But after only 3 or 4 in 2011 because of trailer/truck issues, and 2 last year before C diagnosis, I can't complain. I think we've got our timing back now, and are used to the new trailer, and have it more organized. So with the help of a class in the off-season, maybe we can start hitting more often

Had a lot of fun with our next door neighbors Yellow Card BBQ, who were doing their first contest.

Had a lot of fun with our next door neighbors Yellow Card BBQ, who were doing their first contest.

We had fun as well...learned some lessons and got some experience Definitely have some ideas of what we need to change up for next season, but we knew we had to crawl before we, er...well, it will be awhile before we walk :).

The lowlight was coming home and having my wife tell me I'm smoking brisket for a party next Saturday...after we finished D.A.L. in brisket.

"Ugh, can't we do ribs??? We were respectable there...."

I'm still ticked...I know I can make a better brisket than that. :)

Til next year!

We had fun, not the finish to the year we wanted, things we could have done differently. Bought too big a butts, time line was off.

OIFMarine it was nice to meet ya.

Overall good time.

It was great seeing every one for the last time before winter sets in and I lock myself in the garage for a month or two. Hi Hi Ho its off to build I go ! Corey understands any ways !

Back