MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
daven8844x
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default UDS Weber Lid and Flange Mod

Hi, I recently completed my UDS and cooked some of the best chicken I have ever had using the UDS. This board and the plans I found are really wonderful. Just have one question regarding the flange mod. The Weber flange that I cut from a 22.5" kettle fits over the rim of the drum and sits on top of the rim so the rim of the flange touches the rim of the drum. There are some areas, however, of slight space where the diameter of the drum is slightly larger than that of the flange. Smoke will definitely leak through the space.

What I am wondering is if I put a Weber lid on the flange, will that typically cover any such space? In other words, are we just trying to make sure the flange sits on the rim of the drum (and does not fall in)?

I would try it, but I beat my lid to crap trying to bend it to fit around the drum before going with the flange mod. The drum was a tad too big for bending the lid and now my Weber lid is completely useless. I got it from a heavily used kettle I picked up for $10, so no biggie, but I want to know whether the lid will cover the space before I go out and locate another Weber (and drop another $10).

Also, I do not have pics, but I made an enhancement to the flange mod that may benefit some. I basically cut three 1" tabs into the flange and bent them upwards to form brackets for the top grate. This way I only have the brackets (and indeed I only need the brackets) for the upper grate when I use the Weber lid (if I can get the Weber lid to fit :). So no need to drill more holes in the UDS only to have brackets that get used with the Weber lid (for those that swap lids). Thought I would share.

Thanks,
Dave
daven8844x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
webegrubbin
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daven8844x View Post
Hi, I recently completed my UDS and cooked some of the best chicken I have ever had using the UDS. This board and the plans I found are really wonderful. Just have one question regarding the flange mod. The Weber flange that I cut from a 22.5" kettle fits over the rim of the drum and sits on top of the rim so the rim of the flange touches the rim of the drum. There are some areas, however, of slight space where the diameter of the drum is slightly larger than that of the flange. Smoke will definitely leak through the space.

What I am wondering is if I put a Weber lid on the flange, will that typically cover any such space? In other words, are we just trying to make sure the flange sits on the rim of the drum (and does not fall in)?

I would try it, but I beat my lid to crap trying to bend it to fit around the drum before going with the flange mod. The drum was a tad too big for bending the lid and now my Weber lid is completely useless. I got it from a heavily used kettle I picked up for $10, so no biggie, but I want to know whether the lid will cover the space before I go out and locate another Weber (and drop another $10).

Also, I do not have pics, but I made an enhancement to the flange mod that may benefit some. I basically cut three 1" tabs into the flange and bent them upwards to form brackets for the top grate. This way I only have the brackets (and indeed I only need the brackets) for the upper grate when I use the Weber lid (if I can get the Weber lid to fit :). So no need to drill more holes in the UDS only to have brackets that get used with the Weber lid (for those that swap lids). Thought I would share.

Thanks,
Dave
I have the exact same question as you. Did you come to any conclusion? I read that some people put fireplace gasket around the flange to fill in any gaps. If you have any additional information on how you got your lid to fit, please let me know. Thanks
webegrubbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I used a Rutland flat stove gasket which works great.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...mple+stainless

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
webegrubbin
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I used a Rutland flat stove gasket which works great.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...mple+stainless

where can i find flat gasket? i've only been able to find round

Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by webegrubbin View Post
where can i find flat gasket? i've only been able to find round
Search ebay for Nomex big green egg gasket. There is a guy on there that sells it by the foot.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I got my gasket at the Ace Hardware here in Vermont. If it isn't in stock, I bet they can order it for you.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I think this is the one. Your gap is probably different than mine however.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=52785895124

Old 10-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
webegrubbin
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daven8844x View Post

Thanks,
Dave
Instead of the Weber Lid I got the BBQ Pro Lid, which is the same size as the Weber Lid, and the flange comes with groove which holds the grate in place, so no need for any additional holes/bolts for holding the extra grate. I got the entire BBQ pro grill set at Kmart for $30, which includes the grilling grate and charcoal grate which can be used to make the charcoal basket.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
swamprb

I'm gonna get you all for Patent Infringement.

Take a look at this post:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...90&postcount=7

I just use some Permatex High Temp silicone gasket to build up the ring if it doesn't happen to fit correctly. None of mine are a permanent mount as I really feel that the drum lids work better than the Weber lid, but I like using the rotisseries and cook a lot of beer can chickens and like the added height the Weber lid gives me.

One thing to remember when using the Weber lid is to rotate it during the cooks, because meats cooked directly under the vent will cook faster and hotter.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I just glued a BGE replacement gasket onto mine and problem solved.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I just glued a BGE replacement gasket onto mine and problem solved.
Great idea!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
I'm gonna get you all for Patent Infringement.
Don't you have to have a Patent to have it infringed on?
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote