• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pot Roast

AUradar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
okay, not que but a question has arised. Cooking for a church supper and someone wants to do a roast but doesn't know how much is needed. So when doing a roast, in a crock pot, does anyone know how many servings a pound of raw meat will yeild?

The yield of meat will be the same as if you were cooking the same cut of beef in a smoker. Thus, if you cook a chuck, no bone, and expect a 60% yield (40% loss, dry wieght), reasonable, then you would expect the same of meat done in a crock pot. The difference being, of course, you end up with gravy and veggies. Assuming you would feed 1/3 pound, dry weight of meat, then you need to start with somewhere around 2/3 pound of meat for ease of math. I still think 1/2 pound of meat is a decent number for a mixed crowd, thus 1/2 pound +/- per person.

I agree with Landarc.I would figger roughly 1/2 pound raw meat weight per person----
However this statement needs to be clarified--if the pot roast is cooked World War II style or depression style it has 50 pounds potatoes and 25 pounds of carrots per one pound of meat. Grandma made it that way--she would use bone in chuck and then we'd eat soup for two more days by boiling the bone

Pot roast is a braised beef dish. It is typically made by browning a roast-sized piece of beef to induce a Maillard reaction, then slow-cooking in or over liquid in a covered dish. Thanks!

okay, not que but a question has arised. Cooking for a church supper and someone wants to do a roast but doesn't know how much is needed. So when doing a roast, in a crock pot, does anyone know how many servings a pound of raw meat will yeild?

Hey,

Place roast in crock pot. Add all ingredients in bowl; mix up well. Pour over roast. Cook on low for some time or until it tender. If you serve each person 3 oz of meat, you will be able to get 42 servings out of a 20 lb. whole roasted beef.

Back