MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Are you looking for smoked sausage to cook on the pit, or fresh sausage?
To cook on the pit.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a grinder and I have ground pork through here all the time. My wife is Filipino and uses it and anchovies in a lot of her dishes. I can flavor the pork the way I like, I even have mixed in ground lamb before. Its getting it in the casing the F's me up each time.

Closest butcher that is of any quality to me is a little on the expensive side; but if I am cooking for just friends and family I am all over it. This is more for when I'm cooking for groups of people. IE Scuba buddies when I teach a dive class or at a church function or something. I do not like to serve anything that I do not myself like.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
gsmith
Full Fledged Farker

slovaceks jalapeno & cheese is awesome
gsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I'm right there with ya GMDGeek. Just when I'm okay with eating a store bought sausage, I bite into a nasty piece of gristle, and then think why am I eating these when I have a Kitchen Aid with all the necessary attachments to make sausage?!?! I just need to commit a day to making some and get going.

By the way checked out your blog- cool stuff. A Triple D fan myself, diggin the avatar photo lol!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

The grinders do not work that well for stuffing the casings. One of the old fashioned stuffers works much better, and they are cheaper.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #21
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
I have a grinder and I have ground pork through here all the time. My wife is Filipino and uses it and anchovies in a lot of her dishes. I can flavor the pork the way I like, I even have mixed in ground lamb before. Its getting it in the casing the F's me up each time.

Closest butcher that is of any quality to me is a little on the expensive side; but if I am cooking for just friends and family I am all over it. This is more for when I'm cooking for groups of people. IE Scuba buddies when I teach a dive class or at a church function or something. I do not like to serve anything that I do not myself like.
if you already have a grinder than you are almost there.

I have a 5 lb vertical stuffer. Makes stuffing sausages a breeze.

Get one and you will be all set
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
gruene smoke
Got Wood.

Check out the Old Town Meat Market in Lewisville. Not too far from you. I don't know what their prices are nowadays but when I grew up in Lewisville they were pretty reasonable
http://oldtownmkt.com/index.html
gruene smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

If you really want to pay a premium price Hebert's Specialty Meats will ship anywhere. This is a real deal Cajun specialty meat market with all kind of sausage and stuffed meats. They created the original Turducken over 25 years ago. They run there internet business from a store one of the family members opened in Tulsa, OK.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #24
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks everyone ... much appreciated. I am currently looking at a old fashioned stuff and also looking at a few sites for the bulk sausages. Thinking though that I can make a mess up, vacuum seal it and store for a bit.

Still want a solid alternative to home made for larger events. Example I have a church cook for 150 people next month and a Boy Scout cook in May. Boy Scouts eat a ton so cooking pulled pork and sausage is a no brainer.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...d.318-925-6915

Down Home Meats in Stonewall, LA

They make some of the best smoked sausage I've put in my mouth. We use it to sample our BBQ sauce in some of our tradeshows. They have my company's approval no doubt.

Call and ask for David Terry. I know him quite well and let him know that you got his number from David at Double D's BBQ. He might give you the employee pricing per case which I believe is $2.00/lb. Don't quote me on that but it's close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
I'm looking for a place to get some good sausage for smoking. I've tried several from Sam's and Costco and needless to say I'm not impressed.

Anyone have any recommendations for the Dallas area? I am even willing to have some shipped to me ...

Thanks,
Gerry

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #26
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

oh ok

I thought this was for personal use

yeah, for feeding an army like that, I would not want to make that much sausage!!!
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #27
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Check out Kuby's Sausage House http://www.kubys.com/. I believe their retail store is in Snider Plaza.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #28
Mrdeville
Full Fledged Farker

I think Johnsonville is pretty good. I always smoke those. I tried a brand at BJ's wholesale club and wasn't impressed at all.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #29
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Road trip it south and stock up. I would strongly recommend Kaspar meat market in Weimar, TX, which is about an hour to hour and a half west of Houston. I have had sausage from all over the state and theirs is about the best. Chapel Hill and Slovacek is just barely okay for Czech style sausage. Another great place is Prause Meat Market in La Grange. The smaller, lesser known meat markets do a better job of it than the big well known sausage companies.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
Rockin W Smokers
Got Wood.

If you are up for a day trip try Fisher's Meat Market in Muenster,Tx. They still make the original German smoked sausage as made in 1927 when it opened along with many other varieties.
Rockin W Smokers is offline   Reply With Quote