PBC temp

F

Friscoag

I lighted a chimney with kingsford comp. I let about half the briquettes light in the chimney before dumping into the fire box with at least half unlit coals. I've got the lid on and my temp probe leveled out about 360. Did I light too much in the chimney? I'm letting it sit and see if it'll come down before I put my chicken on.

Just got my PBC today :)

7E230F0A-B5CD-4F79-9170-7F0DBBEFAD25-28211-000015A1991CAB27_zps07739113.jpg

I think kingsford comp runs a bit hotter than regular. I'd use a little less next time.

I lighted a chimney with kingsford comp. I let about half the briquettes light in the chimney before dumping into the fire box with at least half unlit coals. I've got the lid on and my temp probe leveled out about 360. Did I light too much in the chimney? I'm letting it sit and see if it'll come down before I put my chicken on.

Just got my PBC today :)

7E230F0A-B5CD-4F79-9170-7F0DBBEFAD25-28211-000015A1991CAB27_zps07739113.jpg

Here is another Pit Barrel Cooker thread that I am following with Live temperature updates and His seemed to level out about 360 also...Must be the Nature of the beast !

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153461

Others are reporting temp in that same range. Mine ran at about 330 with Rancher hardwood briquettes. I actually prefer temps in that range for chicken.

Hell I'm at 415 now, rigged it to close the bottom vent a little

My guess is he will say, use blue bag and lighter fluid. I'd prefer to stay away from lighter fluid.

I'm hoping the chicken juice falling on the coals will cool it down.

FC6984E3-4287-46A3-882F-C2E3FE587317-28211-000015A7B6CABCC6_zpsaa637234.jpg

I did blue bag and light fluid. Mine didn't have that much lit after 40 minutes (20 minutes lid off and 20 minutes lid on). It surprised me. I expected with the lighter fluid, the whole basket would be lit. Now I'm concerned about the lighterfluid, but the chicken was pretty tasty and the juiciest I've ever had. So, I'm not going to let it bother me.

Also, John aka Patio Dadio has a photo on his review of what his looked like when he put his chicken in.

My suggestion is to do blue bag and lighter fluid once or twice and see how it behaves. Then experiment away. That is my plan.

I didn't do fluid at all. Just can't do it. I went with KF Comp and went Minion.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152483&highlight=PBC&page=4
I was able to catch temps on the way up and level em out with the meat. Also, keep peeking to a minimum. The more you open the lid, the coals take off on you. It will level out. Have faith, Grasshopper! I need to get some more cooks in and experiment with lump and a few other variables.

I overcooked them. I checked it with my thermapen at hour and a half and they were 180 in the breast. They were pretty just overcooked.

Picnic, chickens, shrimp, salmon and spares etc have all been great on my PBC. at Sams today I picked up three racks of baby backs for 18$. Gonna do those tomorrow. In Amarillo at 3600 above sea level with winds from 8 to 80 mph and the same humidity extremes the "normal" time and temps mean nothing. Pay attention, drink beer, enjoy the patio and the smoke and cook whatever meat till its done. Oh, forgot to mention, drink beer. jwh

Wow, from what I read lately about the PBC SHEEPLE is that once someone of significance in the bbq world endorses a product, everyone goes and buys it! What ever happened to just doing the research, seeing how something g operates in real life and if it fits your budget, buy it. This is how I grew up bbqing. Burning down wood to coals in large fire pits, cooking for hundreds of people, if you can manage this his amount of coals, you can manage any pit. Any good pitmaster knows a good pit has to have an adjustable intake and exhaust to learn to regulate the temps depending on their geographic location and type of fuel for heat and if the situation warrants different wood for smoke. Whatever happened to the true pitmasters that learned from trial and error, And did what worked for them, not what everyone else says to do. IMO when the new shiny wears off PBC, they will just be another shadow.
1755ABD8-A6FC-49D6-91B8-4379B4A94E9A-1957-0000029A55F2B09A.jpg

CC8292C5-8BBE-46FB-90D0-F0DC94B731D6-1957-0000029E8B694917.jpg

And we didn't burn one bit of the chicken!
CC8292C5-8BBE-46FB-90D0-F0DC94B731D6-1957-0000029E8B694917.jpg

You gotta cook by feel, that's the only way you can call yourself a true pitmaster. I dont wanna put words in any particular members mouth, but I have a feeling they will agree with this underlying message.

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it, it will just take some experimentation.

At two hours, mine read 164* and 171*.

Well I'm also home alone with all the kiddos, 5 & 6 year old girls and a 7 week old baby, so it's not as easy to keep an eagle eye on it.

Jmoney, get off your high horse. Not everyone claims to be the best. Some people just want to enjoy themselves and learn to cook good food.

Back