MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
AMROCKS
Full Fledged Farker

Default The Stoker now has WiFi AKA "The Black Box"

Just seen this from Rocks BBQ. I'm not trying to sell or promote the stoker I just thought this was a nice added feature to an awesome controller. They are having software issues but they are working on getting it right.

"NEWARK, Ca., July 5, 2011 -- Rock’s Bar-B-Que, the creator of the Stoker Power Draft System, today announced the release of their new WiFi control unit, The Stoker Black Box. The new WiFi Stoker control unit allows users to easily monitor and control their cooker from anywhere with network access. This is the first power draft controller with WiFi capabilities, making it the most advanced controller on the market.
Rock’s Bar-B-Que strives to create innovative BBQ products that enhance everyone’s cooking experience. Over the last 5 years, they have developed the most versatile power draft system for barbecues and smokers, the Stoker. The Stoker can support multiple cookers, multiple probes, and is a fully networkable device with its own web page to allow control and monitoring from anywhere with network access. Now they have taken innovation to the next level by building WiFi capabilities directly into the Stoker.
The new “Black Box” Stoker system features:
Built-in WiFi capabilities to improve integration into your home network.
Rugged and sleek Black powder coated exterior.
New 2-piece design with front hood helps improve weather resistance.
Additional 6th port to accommodate even moreStoker devices.
The new Stoker Black Box power draft system is great for backyards BBQ enthusiast or competition cooks. Easy integration, coupled with the temperature stability of the Stoker, allows you to spend more time entertaining guests than hovering over your cooker. You can watch football and keep an eye on your cooker temperatures all from your couch. You can even share your BBQ experience with friends and family all over the world by sending them the link to your Stoker web page.
Presale for the “Black Box” power draft controller is currently available on the company website at www.rocksbarque.com. Units will be in stock and ready for shipment July 25, 2011. Due to an unexpected software bug, WiFi software for the “Black Box” units will not be available until September. We strongly believe in the quality of our products and will not release a product that we are not fully confident in.
The “Black Box” units are still available and will be fully functional with the current version of the software. The units can be converted to WiFi by simply updating the software using an Ethernet cord and standard PC when it is released. The software update will be available through our website for free, and units can also be updated at our shop. Prices are currently discounted until September to reflect the delayed release of the WiFi Software. Single cooker packages start at $295 and dual cooker packages start at $385. If you already own a Stoker system, the control

Old 07-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
AMROCKS
Full Fledged Farker

the control unit can be purchased for $215. Prices will increase in September when the WiFi Software is released."

Old 07-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
suprfast
Take a breath!

They just released something stating there will be a short delay. Some SNAFU in the software I guess. I had an older stoker and miss it dearly. Cant wait for wifi.
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice, i guess I lost my stoker at the right time.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
BasicPatrick
Full Fledged Farker

Roll over in the bed of the RV...turn up the temp in the WSM...roll back over and get some sleep....very appealing!!!!!!
Yoder YS640 & Traeger Texas 075
26.75 Weber OTG & 22.5 WSM
Camp Chef Pro 60
Wicked Pissah Super Fast Basic Blue Thermapen
30' Puma Palomino Toyhauler & 10' SGC Cargo Trailer.
NEBS, KCBS, KCBS CBJ, KCBS CTC, ICP
"Rub Some Sunshine on Your Face"--Richard Pryor
BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #6
suprfast
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicPatrick View Post
Roll over in the bed of the RV...turn up the temp in the WSM...roll back over and get some sleep....very appealing!!!!!!
To be given the gift of sleeping. My wife does that stuff too. Wake up from a power nap, goes right to sleep. How I envy you people
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
AMROCKS
Full Fledged Farker

I would like to see one. They say its different but their site still shows the same old one. I emailed rock to see if they could provide some pics. we will see...

Old 07-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my BBQ Guru, but the thought of seamless WiFi is quite appealing.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Is there is a market of people that want to adjust their pit temp over wifi? I know technology geeks will want it but other than them is who i am thinking about.

When i set the pit temp on my cooker, i don't really care about anything but it staying at that temp. I am geek (software engineer) but i haven't even hooked up my guru to a computer, because i just don't understand what you can get out of it. If i tell my guru to stay at 250, I expect to walk out there in 5 hours and it is at 250 and so far it always is.

Please enlighten me because maybe i am missing out on something great.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
AMROCKS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Is there is a market of people that want to adjust their pit temp over wifi? I know technology geeks will want it but other than them is who i am thinking about.

When i set the pit temp on my cooker, i don't really care about anything but it staying at that temp. I am geek (software engineer) but i haven't even hooked up my guru to a computer, because i just don't understand what you can get out of it. If i tell my guru to stay at 250, I expect to walk out there in 5 hours and it is at 250 and so far it always is.

Please enlighten me because maybe i am missing out on something great.
Well with my stoker being controlled/monitored from my computer it will alert me if there may be a problem in the middle of the night. Also the log is nice to see for studying and perfecting your cooks. but mostly bells and whistles are FUN!
You could get plane potatoes if that's what you like but I like mine loaded

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
OneHump
is one Smokin' Farker

Overpriced wireless bridge. Growing tired of Stoker overcharging for everything. It makes Guru a more attractive option.
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
AMoore
On the road to being a farker

While the thought of going wireless is great, the price is not. If you already own a STOKER and want to update it you have to buy a new one and have the other as a back up. It makes no sense to me. You should offer for a small fee the option of sending our unit back and sending out the new one. A lot of people have a good deal of money invested in your product already and it would cost you very little to upgrade the one's we own.

People, if you own a STOKER and want to go wireless just buy a wireless bridge for a lot less than what they are selling their new STOKER. A wireless bridge goes for $99.00 or less depending on where you search and buy it from. $215.00 vs. $99.00...you do the math and it still works like a charm.
AMoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

I just re-read this. So they aren't available yet, and even when you do get it, the wireless function is not there because of a software bug?

I've seen the problems with Stokers (faulty cables, bad fans, etc)... Broadcasting you've got software bugs and trying to sell pre-orders with non-existent features (Wi-Fi) seems like a strange way to build trust with potential buyers.

I planned on doing another YouTube video/test with the new CyberQ from BBQ Guru on my Klose Pit, I'd love to do a head-to-head with a Stoker but I'm not very confident with what I read.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Seems like a good price compared to the cyberQ. I know both are great products. Happens with a lot of products you buy. Later on they have something better come out. I just happened to buy mine to soon.
Just like if you bought a DigiQ and then the CyberQ came out after you purchased the digiQ.
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
AMROCKS
Full Fledged Farker

well they did say that it has some new features other than the addition of WiFi:

"The new “Black Box” Stoker system features:
Built-in WiFi capabilities to improve integration into your home network.
Rugged and sleek Black powder coated exterior.
New 2-piece design with front hood helps improve weather resistance.
Additional 6th port to accommodate even more Stoker devices."