MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
liluau joe
Found some matches.

Default anybody ever cook a whole lamb?

I'm doing a Christmas party and they want a whole lamb. I've done lots of pigs but never a lamb. any sugestions?

Joey Dee
liluau joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

PM seldneck and get his attention to this thread(send him a link to it so he responds publicly and we can all learn)/. .. he does them often.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Are you spit roasting it?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Didn't Don Marco roll one?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=LAMB

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Ohmigosh, I would love to smoke a whole lamb. I raised sheep years ago and I know for a fact that home grown lamb is a whole lot better than the store bought stuff. Good lamb, cooked correctly, is wonderful! Too many people have had bad lamb that was not cooked well, so it is not very popular. Do not overcook it and do not let it get dried out!

MMMnnnnn, now I am craving a rack of lamb!

And P.S.
Rosemary and garlic with lamb = Yes!
Mint jelly = gross!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I never smoke them I only spit roast them. I build a small fire in the front and the back of my spit under the thickest parts. I season with sea salt an thats it. .Every half hour the lamb gets a half a bottle of beer. Some people like to rub a lemon over it and greek seasoning etc buy IMHO the meat itself cooked with this method is enough without any of that other nonsense I now use an electric rotisserie as you can see in the first pic below but when I was a kid we turned them by hand. The beer worked like this, 1/2 for the lamb and half for the cook. Was an easy way to get beer when I was kid otherwise we were only allowed to drink wine. GO figure that one. In the 2nd & 3rd photos below it is how we do it "back home" in Croatia. Over logs.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Sledneck; 02-27-2009 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #7
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by liluau joe View Post
I'm doing a Christmas party and they want a whole lamb. I've done lots of pigs but never a lamb. any sugestions?

Joey Dee
we do one every Greek Easter..on a rotisserie. Although our setup is slightly different than Slednecks we follow the same procedure as far as fire.
We do season it lightly with a little salt and pepper and every once in awhile spray it with a salt water solution while cooking.

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yet another thread I have to watch... I have a gig for New Years at a Greek Household....

Question, anyone do just the Leg of Lamb on a smoker???
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Yet another thread I have to watch... I have a gig for New Years at a Greek Household....

Question, anyone do just the Leg of Lamb on a smoker???
did one once but didnt think it measured up to grilled or rotisserie..

Don't those Greeks know how to cook lamb? Im wondering how you ended up with that gig..it could be a tough crowd to please

Alveron Cooker

Old 12-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post

Don't those Greeks know how to cook lamb? I'm wondering how you ended up with that gig..it could be a tough crowd to please
I have done lamb on many ways and nothing measures up to a spit roasted one. I have cooked hundreds of lamb that way. The Croatian church I go to in NYC has land in Boonton NJ where picnics/soccer tournament are held each summer. They have a chain driven setup where about 60-70 lambs are rotisseried at the same time.I have been looking for pics but just cant seem to find one

Old 12-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

Don't those Greeks know how to cook lamb? Im wondering how you ended up with that gig..it could be a tough crowd to please
It was, I catered one of the kids birthdays this summer and by the end of the day they were asking about new years... Talk about a tough crowd, two or three of the families either had or have restaurants...

They've already got me doing brisket, PP, Chicken, and Apps (ABT's, Spinich Balls, & Burnt Ends)...

I know that they are going to ask about the lamb... They did the grilled thing the last couple of years and I think are looking for something a little different....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #12
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Never done a lamb but have helped cook goats with a buddy of mine who's done it for years. http://www.goatroast.com I'm guessing lambs would be similar. He used to do them whole but has taken to quartering them and cooking them like you would a pork shoulder in a stick burner for the past several years.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2008, 04:32 AM   #13
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I have done lamb on many ways and nothing measures up to a spit roasted one. I have cooked hundreds of lamb that way. The Croatian church I go to in NYC has land in Boonton NJ where picnics/soccer tournament are held each summer. They have a chain driven setup where about 60-70 lambs are rotisseried at the same time.I have been looking for pics but just cant seem to find one
Sledneck - when I say rotissierie i mean spit roasted or whatever ..whatever you want to call it..we have a very large rotisserie thats turns over a large bed of coals....

Alveron Cooker

Old 12-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Sledneck - when I say rotissierie i mean spit roasted or whatever ..whatever you want to call it..we have a very large rotisserie thats turns over a large bed of coals....
I understood you and my answer was to agree with you that nothing compares

Old 12-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Never done a lamb but have helped cook goats with a buddy of mine who's done it for years. http://www.goatroast.com I'm guessing lambs would be similar. He used to do them whole but has taken to quartering them and cooking them like you would a pork shoulder in a stick burner for the past several years.
Or a cow
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41953