MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #16
ChiefOsceola
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
We have a salvage drum at work just like that. I have been hounding the upper management for it. He said NO. I told him that as soon as he retired it was MINE!
Just saw where online these things brand new cost $185!

Thanks for the pics and tips swamprb. What size vent holes on the top are those? They look bigger than 1/2".

Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #17
ChiefOsceola

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalls65 View Post
Sweet!!!! Can't wait to see what you cook on it!!!
You and me both. haha. The question is whether I CAN cook on it. Never smoked a thing in my life so this ought to be an experience!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #18
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOsceola View Post
You and me both. haha. The question is whether I CAN cook on it. Never smoked a thing in my life so this ought to be an experience!
Piece of cake......even a caveman can do it!! .

Tips:
catch your target temp on the way up....
start with 8 to 10 lit coals only
don't open lid until done (really hard to do)
when it's don it's done
enjoy your good eats
start simple, a fatty and some chickens and MOINKS

By the way, we go through Douglas on our way to Jacksonville to hunt.

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #19
adam12
Got rid of the matchlight.

ChiefOsceola,
Looking good, I am picking up a couple of drums this weekend and on a side note I will be about 30 miles from you this weekend at an arrowhead show in Homerville.
Adam
adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #20
Toploader

Very nice, gotta love those 85'ers Just wondering if you can get the bottom grill in without trimming one or two of your bolts shorter? I only ran 3 in mine and ended up cutting one just a bit to sneak the lower grate in.
Post up some pron on your maiden voyage.
Toploader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #21
ChiefOsceola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
catch your target temp on the way up....
start with 8 to 10 lit coals only
don't open lid until done (really hard to do)
when it's don it's done
enjoy your good eats
start simple, a fatty and some chickens and MOINKS

By the way, we go through Douglas on our way to Jacksonville to hunt.

Paul B
SS UDS
Thanks for the tips Paul. What are MOINKS?

Good hunting up around Jax near the river. Got some buddys in a club up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam12 View Post
ChiefOsceola,
Looking good, I am picking up a couple of drums this weekend and on a side note I will be about 30 miles from you this weekend at an arrowhead show in Homerville.
Adam
I'm kinda wishing I hadn't taken the free shipping route on my 24.5" grates. Ready for them to be here so I can fire this thing up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toploader View Post
Very nice, gotta love those 85'ers Just wondering if you can get the bottom grill in without trimming one or two of your bolts shorter? I only ran 3 in mine and ended up cutting one just a bit to sneak the lower grate in.
Post up some pron on your maiden voyage.
Yeah...the bolts didn't look as long in the store. Figure I might be downsizing. No way I can get the bottom grate in/out with food on it. Figured I might be able to angle it empty. When the grates get here I might be making some adjustments.

We'll see what it looks like. Hopefully I won't be too ashamed to post up some pics!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #22
Toploader

I can get my lower grill out with 3 slabs of ribs without a problem on most cooks. Its the pork butts that want to roll away on yah when its fallin apart. I just leave the grill in and grab the grub.
Also, I like the bottom grill for a water/juice pan, but on the 85's you could add a third and keep the upper two for cooks.
Just remember, no bad food comes out of a uds. Trust in the drum gods and you will have happy taste buds.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #23
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice looking beginning!
Don't worry about cooking on it,you're gonna do just phine!
Do a search on MOINK balls,enough info and pics around here.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 05:04 AM   #24
OcalaScott

If you want the single exhaust, go to an electrical contractor and talk to them. They have hydraulic knock-outs that they use to punch holes in electrical panels so they can install conduit. I bet you can get somebody to do it for you for a trade. Cook them a couple beer can chickens. That is a good way to season the drum anyway. You both win and you don't spend a bunch of money for a "one time" tool.

Just a thought, Scott
OcalaScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #25
ChiefOsceola

The electrical contractor idea is a great thought. One lives right across the street. Good call!

Phubar- Did a search and they look like frozen meatballs wrapped in bacon. What does the MOINK stand for though...it's not on the acronym page.

Toploader- It was basically a guess on the bolts since I didn't have the grates yet (got confirmation from Amazon that they shipped though!)...I was just anxious to get this thing rollin. About the drip pan/water pan, I thought the benefit of the UDS was to have the direct smoke cooking (not to mention it's cheap!)? I have room for a third if I wanted though...my bottom rack right now is 25" above the coal grate.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #26
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOsceola View Post
Phubar- Did a search and they look like frozen meatballs wrapped in bacon. What does the MOINK stand for though...it's not on the acronym page.
There is a story on this site somewhere about how it started, but the short story is cows go MOO (frozen beef meatballs) and pigs go OINK (bacon) so MOO + OINK = MOINK

Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #27
Toploader

My bad, I looked at your pics again and re read what grill size you ordered. I thought for a second you had the taller 85 version. You can probly sneak another rack in there just under the lower one. My pan is an old aluminum pizza dish thats only 1-1/2 to 2" tall. Only time I really use it is for longer overnight butt cooks, or MOINK cooks to keep flare ups from happening. Cooks just as good once that "convection heat" builds up in the drum.
Fire that biotch up allready....were waiting!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #28
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

If you're looking for a step bit, try Harbor Freight... I got a set of 2 (small + big) for $15 after I printed a coupon off the internet.

That's a BIG UDS... I just started cooking with my regular UDS and so far absolutely love it!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #29
ChiefOsceola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
There is a story on this site somewhere about how it started, but the short story is cows go MOO (frozen beef meatballs) and pigs go OINK (bacon) so MOO + OINK = MOINK
Oooohhhh. Makes sense now. I'll search it some more and try to find a recipe to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toploader View Post
My bad, I looked at your pics again and re read what grill size you ordered. I thought for a second you had the taller 85 version. You can probly sneak another rack in there just under the lower one. My pan is an old aluminum pizza dish thats only 1-1/2 to 2" tall. Only time I really use it is for longer overnight butt cooks, or MOINK cooks to keep flare ups from happening. Cooks just as good once that "convection heat" builds up in the drum.
Fire that biotch up allready....were waiting!
You & me both! Those grates can't get here quick enough!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
If you're looking for a step bit, try Harbor Freight... I got a set of 2 (small + big) for $15 after I printed a coupon off the internet.

That's a BIG UDS... I just started cooking with my regular UDS and so far absolutely love it!
I'd never even heard of Harbor Freight and certainly didn't think we had them in south Georgia...but I just googled it and sure enough, theres one about an hour away. Saturday plans are taking shape.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #30
capri man
is One Chatty Farker

there is one in valdosta. is that the one you were talking about?
brinkman smoker
big azz upright smoker
really ugly UDS
kingsford kettle grill
weber smokey joe platnium
big gas grill (sorry!)
capri man is offline   Reply With Quote