***VOTE - BBQ Brethren "Carnival Food" Throwdown - VOTE***

Who should win the BBQ Brethren "Carnival Food" Throwdown?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My zero to win ratio is still 4 to 2 Mr. dog and I can't remember how many times I ALMOST got another zero.:becky:

Ok, I think it's time to start making my move. Are you with me Bill? I think one of us can take this thing!

Deguerre

I just had more grilled chicken than a man should eat and those gyros are making me hungry all over again. Nice

Sorry Gore... I keep trying to hack this site wide open and rig this thing so you can win and I can get my first Zero... so far... foiled at every turn!!!!!:becky:

Alright, Bill doubled his vote total since my plea. If he can do that just four more times, he'll have a winner! Beautiful MOINKs and it even appears like his son has a part-time job in the haunted house. If that's not a carnival entry, I don't know what is!

Drat! I didn't get to vote for ecode! "Poll is closed". I was really hoping she would close in so we could have a tie. I love ties even more than Zeros. Or wins.:-D

Hmmm.....I leave you guys all alone for 10 days and Guerry wins again?:loco:

Who's leg do you have to hump to get get a win around here? :rolleyes::laugh:

CD

Who's leg do you have to hump to get get a win around here? :rolleyes::laugh:

I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm just guessing based on the outcome of this TD ... Redhot's? :becky:

Last edited:
In spite of my hasty vote, I have been researching tzatziki and lamb since this TD. It flung a serious craving on me! I am going to give this a go with ground lamb first (fatty/loaf style) for convenience after some reading. Perhaps I have been ignoring the "gyros" offerings, because I don't ever remember seeing it in any carnival settings (hence my snobby vote :icon_blush:). I would blame it on my location, but then again, I am in the next town up the river from Deguerre's former location.

So... does one really need to strain the yogurt or just whip it up like there is no tomorrow? Use mint and/or dill? If only we had a good Greek place around. In typical fashion, lots of outside-the-box (for me) inspiration here in the TD with all the entries.

In spite of my hasty vote, I have been researching tzatziki and lamb since this TD. It flung a serious craving on me! I am going to give this a go with ground lamb first (fatty/loaf style) for convenience after some reading. Perhaps I have been ignoring the "gyros" offerings, because I don't ever remember seeing it in any carnival settings (hence my snobby vote :icon_blush:). I would blame it on my location, but then again, I am in the next town up the river from Deguerre's former location.

So... does one really need to strain the yogurt or just whip it up like there is no tomorrow? Use mint and/or dill? If only we had a good Greek place around. In typical fashion, lots of outside-the-box (for me) inspiration here in the TD with all the entries.

There's a huge Greek population here in Memphis and they have a festival every year.:-D I just Buy the Fage brand of Greek yogurt - it's pre-strained - and go to town. I much prefer using the dill, fresh is best, and letting it "marry" overnight is good too. The ground lamb would be a great start but just don't overcook it. I feel pretty safe with the lamb even if ground and have no problem going medium rare on it. Pull it at 140 IT and you should be OK. Enjoy!

I'm with Guerry, find the Greek Yogurt if youo can. Otherwise the best you can do is get regular yogurt (not lowfat or nonfat, you want the fat) and strain it. It's not hard, and it makes a huge difference in flavor, texture, etc. Tatziki is not right with thin American style yogurt, it's much too thin and lacks flavor.

These TDs are all in fun and that's as good a reason as any not to vote for someone. It's almost impossible for me to choose and I have to resort to some silly methods sometimes. I almost voted for Bill this time, simply because his son was in the picture! :icon_blush: Remember that these TDs are for entertainment purposes, at least the most enjoyable ones are. I really am posting here to second what Guerry and Chris are saying. Get the Fage full-fat yogurt. It is the best stuff I've had in this country. Do NOT use raspberry flavored Yoplait, strained or unstrained. :becky: If you check out the lamb throwdown I posted a lamb fattie. Sliced and browned in a frying pan, this made pretty tasty gyros. Recipe is here along with a recipe for some Nova-Scotia style Donairs from Millsy on page 2:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101278

Gentlemen, Mr. Bigabyte is right about the flavor thing! But I did not see anyone mention how to strain the yogurt.

Strained yogurt is allowing the whey to separate out. You put the yogurt is a wire strainer lined with a paper towel, then put it over an empty bowl in the fridge and the whey will drip through.

What is left is a very thick yogurt.

You can do all sorts of things with it then.

It makes a very good lowfat cream sauce or gravy. But if you intend to thicken it with something like flour later in a sauce you should mix the flour in the yogurt first. If you don't it will probably break.

Excellent points Gore and Campfire Girl. I've been using "real" food for so long now I forget how the vast majority of people use fake yogurt that is thickened with food starch or corn starch and has added sugars to make it taste better than the crap it really is.

If you are going to strain your yogurt, make sure it is real yogurt. Look at the ingredients and it should be quite obvious. It should just be milk and cultures. That's it. Otherwise you're buying some sort of yogurt flavored pudding. You don't want to strain pudding.

Last edited:
Back