• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Clarification requested from Board Quick Notes

SlugBug

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
On the KCBS website, in the Quick notes from the last board meeting, the following was posted: "The Board discussed the issue of preparing pork (slicing, pulling, parting etc.) after it has been cooked and putting it back in the smoker with sauce to re-heat. The Board stated this is a violation of the rules."

Does the same go for brisket and chicken? Is the issue slicing/chopping/pulling? So you can't even reheat for 5 min so the judges get food as warm as possible? Anyone have any real answers?

Just want to make sure I play within the rules. I will be sending email to the board as well requesting clarifiation. Regards

I suspect they are falling back to the rule that says a pork butt must be cooked in whole and not parted. Once pulled, sliced, etc, then you can't put it back on the pit.

Whatever.

Would like to know this also as have been told that it is ok to put it back in to set sauce.

Kind of official response - secondhand

Hi, On another forum a cook said at a contest last weekend the reps instructed the cooks that for pork, once the butt is parted in any way, none of it could be put back on to the cooker. No exceptions. This rule applies only to pork because of the "don't part" rule for pork (as was in one of the responses here). If I find anything more, I'll post the info. Regards.

I was one of the ones who posted.The rep said once its parted in any way it or the parts can not go back into the cooker.It will be the same rep in DeForest this week you may ask him if it changed,Only applies to Pork.

Skippy, you should have seen Myron cram the Whole Hog into the 9x9! :icon_bugeyed

Cook butt, break it up or slice it, turn it in? Most cooks have been doing it this way for years and it's legal.

What am I missing?

Does this include the warming box of your smoker? No smoke goes into our meadow creek.

Well it doesn't include anything if you are in the northeast or, as i found out this weekend, in Pennsylvania. Seems no one out there knows or cares about this. Most i have found don't even know it took place.

Although its always good to ask the rep when they come to inspect the meat.

Where is the popcorn?

So you're saying there was cheating in NH?

Nope I am saying that the rep was asked their interpretation. I've just been asking every rep I see for the first time what their interpretation is and whether or not they have received the rep advisory that was supposedly being sent out.

As I've said before our team doesn't employ their cooker to keep pork, or any other meat, warm before turn ins. We wish we had that coordination. I've just seen it done by teams with a lot of experience.

Well it doesn't include anything if you are in the northeast or, as i found out this weekend, in Pennsylvania. Seems no one out there knows or cares about this. Most i have found don't even know it took place.

Although its always good to ask the rep when they come to inspect the meat.

Where is the popcorn?

Wasn't Tana Shupe a rep? So you're saying these Reps knew nothing of this rule? If that's the case, it's amazing, as she had sent me a response to my email to the BOD last month....

Back