MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #31
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I emailed my wife the link to Academy. It is just so much cheaper than anywhere else right now. Looks like a great deal.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #33
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjenkins1 View Post
Going to be ordering a grinder myself... best price I found so far is here:

www.academy.com

Jeff
Grinders

Wow I am scratching my head over this deal. The #8 LEM with .35 h.p. motor is $249.00 and the #8 with .77 h.p. is $99.00. I realize the more expensive unit has a stainless steel head and the cheaper is die cast aluminum. 2 year warranty on the more expensive unit and 1 year on the other. But the cheaper is twice the h.p. Thier must be something I am missing

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #34
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Yeah. That is exactly the problem when shopping for these things. I think there is a lot more to it. Probably differences in metal gears or plastic gears. Maybe it is a difference between Peak hp and continuous hp. I've found with items like these, you just can't rely on the specs.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #35
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

I think I will be ordering the #5 from Academy. I got that link from an Amazon review .

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onexchef View Post
Grinders

Wow I am scratching my head over this deal. The #8 LEM with .35 h.p. motor is $249.00 and the #8 with .77 h.p. is $99.00. I realize the more expensive unit has a stainless steel head and the cheaper is die cast aluminum. 2 year warranty on the more expensive unit and 1 year on the other. But the cheaper is twice the h.p. Thier must be something I am missing

The main difference isn't just the aluminum / stainless construction, but size and design as well. The more expensive unit is heavy duty and weighs almost twice as much.

According to reviews the cheaper one has plastic gears, while the heavy duty has metal gears.. Review

I do not know as I do not have the cheaper model. Personally I would spend the extra for the heavy duty model.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #37
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by onexchef View Post
Grinders

I have the cheaper LEM and love it. The body isn't stainless, but I have not found that to be an issue. The most I have ground is 10 lb at any one time and that has been effortless. You can get up to 1/2" plate size and two grades of stainless ones if you want.

I have only used it since Christmas so have no long term experience with it.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 03-29-2013 at 10:33 AM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #38
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Yeah. That is exactly the problem when shopping for these things. I think there is a lot more to it. Probably differences in metal gears or plastic gears. Maybe it is a difference between Peak hp and continuous hp. I've found with items like these, you just can't rely on the specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
The main difference isn't just the aluminum / stainless construction, but size and design as well. The more expensive unit is heavy duty and weighs almost twice as much.

According to reviews the cheaper one has plastic gears, while the heavy duty has metal gears.. Review

I do not know as I do not have the cheaper model. Personally I would spend the extra for the heavy duty model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I have the cheaper LEM and love it. The body isn't stainless, but I have not found that to be an issue. The most I have ground is 10 lb at any one time and that has been effortless. You can get up to 1/2" plate size and two grades of stainless ones if you want.

I have only used it since Christmas so have no long term experience with it.
Thanks guys I knew I was missing something.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #39
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Update:
LEM #8 3/8hp Big Bite Grinder is in the house! This thing is a beast! I'm in awe of the size and heft of this monster. It makes the KitchenAid mixer and grinder attachment look like a toy. It is definitely heavy duty. I did not expect it to be this big and heavy. I'm not sure where I'm going to store it.

With having only assembled it and plugged it in, I'm very happy I stepped up to the LEM Big Bite. I see this thing just going and going. But, I'm guessing I could have been very happy with the slightly less expensive LEM #5.

I'll probably pick up a couple butts next weekend for some sausage. I'll provide a full update then.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #40
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Update:
LEM #8 3/8hp Big Bite Grinder is in the house!
Awesome, did you get it from Academy?

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #41
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako
Talking

Quote:
Update:
LEM #8 3/8hp Big Bite Grinder is in the house! This thing is a beast! I'm in awe of the size and heft of this monster. It makes the KitchenAid mixer and grinder attachment look like a toy. It is definitely heavy duty. I did not expect it to be this big and heavy. I'm not sure where I'm going to store it.

With having only assembled it and plugged it in, I'm very happy I stepped up to the LEM Big Bite. I see this thing just going and going. But, I'm guessing I could have been very happy with the slightly less expensive LEM #5.

I'll probably pick up a couple butts next weekend for some sausage. I'll provide a full update then.

Congrats!! I told you in my earlier post you'll be amazed how well built and a nice unit it is plus u cant beat the Academy price. Now wait until you use it.

Quote:

Ditto MadMan
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #42
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Update:

wow thats great. They had the #8 next to the #5 when I bought mine. One reason I did not get it is because I did not want to lug that thing up and downstairs to the basement where I store it LOL

The #5 is heavy enough!!!
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #43
IamMadMan

Quote:
Update:
Sounds like it's time to set-up a second kitchen like the rest of us have done. Use the basement or garage, to make a counter top with enough space for the grinder, a sausage stuffer press, a small sink, and work space.

Now that you have the grinder you will find that it would be in your best interest to purchase a good sausage stuffer.

Grinding, then mixing spices, and then trying to stuff it with the grinder stuffing attachment will get the job done, but consumes a lot of time. Using a meat tub to catch the meat and mix the spices, then transfer to a crank-down stuffer makes child's play of the sausage making activity.

You can buy bulk sausage spice blends at the sausage maker, click this LINK and get a $10.00 coupon for your first order of $40.00 or more.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #44
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjenkins1 View Post
Awesome, did you get it from Academy?

Jeff
Yes. Right now, with free shipping the price just can't be beat. Much appreciation for pointing me to their site. Since we don't have their stores around here, I never shop their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
They had the #8 next to the #5 when I bought mine. One reason I did not get it is because I did not want to lug that thing up and downstairs to the basement where I store it LOL
I wish I had seen the #5 next to the #8 prior. I probably would have made the same decision you did. I think this thing has to be stored in the garage or the crawlspace. Our kitchen is just way to small.

Quote:
Now that you have the grinder you will find that it would be in your best interest to purchase a good sausage stuffer.
Totally agree. I actually got the 5# stuffer from Northern Tool last year. I used the Kitchenaid grinder two or three times to stuff sausage. Pain! A real stuffer makes the job so much easier. I think mine was $90 and worth every penny.

Now to decide what to make first. ... I've made lots of the Italian recipe from the Great Sausage book and always been happy. I've also made the polish, which is good, but never knocks my socks off. Same with the simple andouille recipe I've found on the net. The internet has so many recipes it always gives me analysis paralysis! I also got a Sausagemaker.com kit for bologna, polish salami, and pepperoni (already made the summer sausage and regular salami - both were good, but didn't knock my socks off. Everyone preferred the summer sausage using the recipe that floats around here).

Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #45
IamMadMan

Quote:
Now to decide what to make first. ... I've made lots of the Italian recipe from the Great Sausage book and always been happy. I've also made the polish, which is good, but never knocks my socks off. Same with the simple andouille recipe I've found on the net. The internet has so many recipes it always gives me analysis paralysis! I also got a Sausagemaker.com kit for bologna, polish salami, and pepperoni (already made the summer sausage and regular salami - both were good, but didn't knock my socks off. Everyone preferred the summer sausage using the recipe that floats around here).
If the spice mixes were not that good for you you can always add other spices to your liking.

Buy a good used (or new) refrigerator or upright freezer and you can buy an external controller for it to make dry-cured sausages.