First Cook on the WSM (Brisket & Butt)

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It's about time I fired up the new 22.5" wsm. Not sure what the heck I'm doing as I've always smoked with my offset for years. I have a 6lb brisket flat on there now. I'll be putting in the small butt on in a few hours. The brisket is rubbed with Big Rons Hint of Houston. The butt is rubbed with Simply Marvelous Cherry. :thumb: The temp is dialed in at about 270-275. Hopefully I can maintain this temperature throughout the day.

DSCN4539.jpg

The charcoal ring with K & comp K, apple chunks.

DSCN4541.jpg

This was when the temps were climbing up. Amazingly their is no smoke coming out of the door or the side of the lid now that it is dialed in.

DSCN4542.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the brisket before I put her in. Sorry fellas.

DSCN4546.jpg

2.5 hours in to place the butt. Looking good thus far.

good.jpg

5 hours in and everything is going great according to my pit master.

Last edited:
Don't get your hopes up fellas. I've NEVER had a good brisket turn out. At least I'll have some butt pron to share, as I can never screw that up. :thumb:

For some reason the temp has went from 275 to 290. I closed completely two of the bottom vents. Left the third about 10% open if that. Hopefully that brings her down back to 275. Any idea on why the temp spike since it has been keeping at 275 for two hours consistently?

For some reason the temp has went from 275 to 290. I closed completely two of the bottom vents. Left the third about 10% open if that. Hopefully that brings her down back to 275. Any idea on why the temp spike since it has been keeping at 275 for two hours consistently?

No idea, but I personally wouldn't worry too much about it unless temps really skyrocket. Looking forward to the pron & as far as the brisket goes - probe tender - that's what you want. Don't be looking at any thermometer - you may want to try this one without ever checking the IT - the meat will tell you the story. I've only done a few briskets but they've all turned out pretty good & I've never known what temp they've reached. Good luck!

No idea, but I personally wouldn't worry too much about it unless temps really skyrocket. Looking forward to the pron & as far as the brisket goes - probe tender - that's what you want. Don't be looking at any thermometer - you may want to try this one without ever checking the IT - the meat will tell you the story. I've only done a few briskets but they've all turned out pretty good & I've never known what temp they've reached. Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not going to check IT until 4 hours in. Once it gets to 175-180 is when I'll just check by probing it. Thanks again!!

Not sure why your temp went up but you could have had an air pocket in your coals or if you opened it up it can cause a temp spike.

Not sure why your temp went up but you could have had an air pocket in your coals or if you opened it up it can cause a temp spike.

Me neither. I didn't open it up. I'm guessing some chunks must have ignited. Now that I dropped the butt in, the temp has went down to about 275 again. I think I got this. :cool:

I think Butts is right on. It's amazing what a little air will do to a WSM. I pack my charcoal down with a small shovel to make it as tight as possible. The next thing you will want to do is get the big fire ring from C&C Grillin.

Me neither. I didn't open it up. I'm guessing some chunks must have ignited. Now that I dropped the butt in, the temp has went down to about 275 again. I think I got this. :cool:

You may be right about the chunks. Dropping a cold butt in there may have brought your temp down a bit so keep that in mind. Enjoy the new WSM and the yummy meat it produces...them things be good :thumb:

Is 275 considered HH brisket? If so, should I foil it at 170? If so, with apple juice or nothing? :thumb:

Is 275 considered HH brisket? If so, should I foil it at 170? If so, with apple juice or nothing? :thumb:

Well, back up to 290-295. Closed all 3 vents. Top vent is closed about 40%. If it stays at this temp, that's just the way she's going to have to cook this time. I've learned my lesson and will add less lit charcoal to start her up. :thumb:

I think Butts is right on. It's amazing what a little air will do to a WSM. I pack my charcoal down with a small shovel to make it as tight as possible. The next thing you will want to do is get the big fire ring from C&C Grillin.
It's amazing how little air it takes me to maintain 250 deg. C&C Grilling has a special going on right now for the WSM. You get the SS high air flow ring, SS Door and a pair of 1/4" removable sensor gromets for $65.00.
I'm seriously considering the all out Cajun Pimp Kit but that list for $199.00 which isn't really that bad considering everything that comes with it.

Back