MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Go buy a wsm 18" and an one touch gold...and some kingsford. Seriously.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

The Kamado Joe is great. Well worth the money. You can't go wrong. I know I didn't.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
Nomo4me
On the road to being a farker

I own both and KJ is every bit as good as BGE in all but dealer network. Given the savings you are looking at the KJ would be a no-brainer for me.

Do be aware that those recommending a Weber over Primo, KJ or BGE very rarely have any experience using ceramic cookers.

I have a Weber performer - not close to the same league in terms of temp control and using briquettes blows.

Nomo4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

Get the Kamado

Old 12-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #20
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Definitely get the KJ. I have an akorn and love it but if I could afford it I would have gotten a KJ

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomo4me View Post
I own both and KJ is every bit as good as BGE in all but dealer network. Given the savings you are looking at the KJ would be a no-brainer for me.

Do be aware that those recommending a Weber over Primo, KJ or BGE very rarely have any experience using ceramic cookers.

I have a Weber performer - not close to the same league in terms of temp control and using briquettes blows.

I beg to differ... there are many here who have ceramic, insulated, Weber, and offset cookers... for mastery of the bbq craft. Hence the name pitmasters... its not just mastery of one pit; but mastery of several styles of pits. That is why we say 'It's the cook (skill), not the cooker.'

OTOH: There are several less expensive options which you have already noticed and have been well-reviewed here.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 12-26-2012 at 05:18 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

How much are you going to use the cooker you choose? As you can see from my signature, I own quite a few different cooking utensils. I have used them all with great success. If you are just learning to smoke I would go with the Akorn to start. This will give you an idea if you want to continue. Most people start with low cost equipment. If you continue with this hobby, you may want a bigger smoker than an BGE or KJ. I have an Akorn, and am using it at the restaurant. I cooked a brisket over night and it came out great. Then I turned around later that night and cooked a couple pizzas for our Christmas party. I was looking at a ceramic grill for the restaurant, but went with the Akorn because of the features on it. The best feature is the clean out, you remove the bottom and dump it. All the seals are just like the material used on oven doors. I may buy a couple more to get me through the winter. I am honestly surprised by the quality of the Akorn. I was expecting some on the order of their offset grills and smokers. This is constructed of better material and easy to assemble. This is just my opinion.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #23
SimcoBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Take a look @ Primo . They are made in Georgia and are more versatile than other ceramics

Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #24
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimcoBBQ View Post
Take a look @ Primo . They are made in Georgia and are more versatile than other ceramics
Aren't they priced similar to the BGE? The OP said he didn't have that much to spend.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote