Attended My First IBCA Event......

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This weekend I went and hung out at the Smokin Oldies cookoff in Port Allen, LA. I had only experienced KCBS prior to this, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. What I found was a really great bunch of folks, some of which I had already met at KCBS events.

As far as the differences between the two, I found IBCA to be a more laid back environment. Things I loved were the fact that they get an hour between turnins, no garnish, and the significantly smaller entry fee!

I would have to say that my favorite difference is the style of Q being done. I like BBQ to be really tender(not mush), juicy, and full of flavor. I got to try the samples of several cooks, and I found them to be alot more like what I make for myself than what I have had at KCBS events. Not dogging KCBS, just a preference by my taste buds.

All in all it was a great family type atmosphere. Almost all the teams know each other really well because they see each other all the time at these events. I got to meet Jeff, who goes by Yokeup on this forum, and makes all the youtube videos for us to enjoy. Really great guy and super hospitable. As were all the other cooks.

Also there is a cook that many of you have probably never heard of because he mostly cooks IBCA, but this guy has been on FIRE this year! He just seems to keep on taking GC week after week! He's headed to the Jack this year. His name is Sean Hebert, and this guy has apparently got his product dialed in right on target!

Had fun hanging out with all this folks, and hopefully I'll be cooking my first IBCA next month in Ponchatoula!

Last edited:
aaahhhh, no garnish!!! I wouldn't know what to do with myself having a hour between turnins.

Many people like the no garnish rule, long time between turn ins and relative ease of cooking meat that is to eaten with a knife and fork.

Others dislike that you get no scoring detail, you have no idea where you finished in the field unless you make the final table in any category and there is no creativity allowed in presentation of your entry.

We prefer KCBS but others prefer IBCA.

Many people like the no garnish rule, long time between turn ins and relative ease of cooking meat that is to eaten with a knife and fork.

Others dislike that you get no scoring detail, you have no idea where you finished in the field unless you make the final table in any category and there is no creativity allowed in presentation of your entry.

We prefer KCBS but others prefer IBCA.

I agree there were some things I didn't like as well. Truth is they both could probably stand to learn a few things from each other

Careful, or you'll get called on the carpet by DRBBQ because, in his words, KCBS is the swinging **** <only he didnt use astorisks>. :)

The garnish allowed in KCBS came from the founders (who've since passed) who wanted it (the garnish) to differentiate and separate KCBS from the other sanctioning bodies. I'll agree with them, it does, but I'm of the opinion that KCBS is far beyond a fledgling sanctioning body and this differentiation is unnecessary. It's my opinion.

Yeah, I like the no garnish sanctioning bodies, and most dont allow that creativity that Vision talks about. I understand his opinion, but I prefer the others where your meat has to look enticing without the presentation creativity.

There are pluses and minuses to the 1 hr vs. 30 minute turn-in window. I like both, for different reason. I probably prefer the 1 hour, because if you're in dire straights it gives you a tad more time to un-cluster the situation. Then again, there's more time to make a silly decision, too...

I like that some sanctioning bodies have a finals. They each do it a little different. I like MBN, but honestly would prefer finals in a blind box, not on-site. GBA probably has the best of this, IMHO.

I just marvel at the amount of really great cooks that there seems to be in IBCA that the general BBQ public never hears about. I guess that goes to KCBS being seemingly more organized. That is one area where they seem to have an edge.

Well, smack me upside the head! Q-Dat, I'm sorry I didn't say hi - I kept glancing at you and thinking "I know that guy, that's...that's..." and finally gave up and chalked it up to another senior moment! Stop by the judging area sometime if you're not busy with a contest! Hope to see y'all in Ponchatoula!

Lynn H.

IMO I think the garnish takes it up another level, although I personally dislike dealing with it.

I mean, in any fine restaurant, how the food is presented is evidence of a professional at work. Not to say that someone else out there can't make a fine risotto but the garnish and presentation is what separates the pros from the non pros, not just a great meal.

Not knocking any other barbecue association of course but I like the additional challenge of garnish.

I do think granish makes the meat look nice. I just really hate dealing with it. I guess that is why I "let" my wife do it.

I just marvel at the amount of really great cooks that there seems to be in IBCA that the general BBQ public never hears about. I guess that goes to KCBS being seemingly more organized. That is one area where they seem to have an edge.

I guess that depends on what is considered the "general BBQ public". If you cook IBCA, you know who they are and there are quite a few of them who have had success in KCBS as well and vice versa.

I like the longer interval between turn ins and I like the half chickens. What I don't like, was mentioned in Vince's post with regards to scoring.

Jump on in Q'dat, you'll have fun, IBCA is a good organization to cook in.

I guess that depends on what is considered the "general BBQ public". If you cook IBCA, you know who they are and there are quite a few of them who have had success in KCBS as well and vice versa.

I like the longer interval between turn ins and I like the half chickens. What I don't like, was mentioned in Vince's post with regards to scoring.

Jump on in Q'dat, you'll have fun, IBCA is a good organization to cook in.

I was thinking the same thing. Q-Dat, I think it's just because you've been hanging around a KCBSesque crowd, and that probably has as much to do with KCBS being the largest sanctioning body. We didnt have KCBS around here until the past few years, so up until then it was more MIM which became MBN. Same with these, some of these teams are AWESOME and other than a few like Pete and Melissa of Yazoo's Delta Q, very few are known in KCBS land... Doesn't mean they can't barbecue though.

Oh! I think I would go mad if I didn't get a scorecard. :icon_shy

Again an internet bulletin board baffles me, I'm not sure if your serious or not.

Data received via the scorecard helps one to determine if it is really the mean old judge /s or if you just missed the mark.

Lots of good things about IBCA, but no feedback is a bit of a pisser.

Classic!

Take a deep breath, enjoy the weather, friends, family, etc.

Anything but, yell.."WHICH ONE IS THE RIB BOX FOR TURN INS,WHERE IS MY ELECTRIC KNIFE, DO WE NEED TO UNWRAP THE PORK, IS THE BRISKET IN THE CAMBRO, JESUS, IS IT ALMOST 1230", etc.

YMMV of course

Oh! I think I would go mad if I didn't get a scorecard.
Or go mad when you do get one ;0)

Yes I do like getting a read out and comment cards

Back