MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
MoGreen
On the road to being a farker

Default Isn't this supposed to be fun?

I have a terrible cold. Got home from work at 1AM last night and crawled into bed around 2. Self-medicated with a healthy dose of Jack Daniel's. The wife woke me up at 8AM because she looked at my schedule and thought it was Tuesday instead of Thursday. Now she's left me with the kids, and I HAVE TO PREP CHICKEN for a comp that I'll have to leave before turn-in's in order to make it to the kid's first tee-ball game. So, somebody... ANYBODY...remind me that this is what we do for fun!!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
DavidLSI
Knows what a fatty is.

Sorry to hear your sick. When my kids were young enough to play t-ball and little league I would not have been able to afford the time or the costs of this smoking hobby. I can see where the balancing act you are putting yourself through could suck the fun out of it.

Actually the activities I do now are replacement for the fun I had when my kids were young and needed me. Coaching, Chauffeuring, Camping, Paint-ball, Science Fairs and just being a dad took all of my non working hours. I really miss that stuff.

My wife just bought a new kitchen table and last night we had a wistful moment while tossing the old one out. All of the cuts and stains in the wood from all the projects and meals we enjoyed on that table, it was kind of like painting over the growth marks on the wall.

Your are correct it is supposed to be fun and the fact that you are questioning it may be your indicator that you are focusing on the wrong fun.

Trace sings it better than I can express the thought.....
YouTube - Trace Adkins - You're Gonna Miss This

Last edited by DavidLSI; 04-14-2011 at 11:30 AM..
DavidLSI is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
MoGreen

You're right. It is a balancing act. But I'm only bitching because I'm feeling like crap. (And chicken prep is a pain in the ass!) I can only do a handful of comps each year, so it's a very inconvenient time to come down with a cold. I guess there's no such thing as a good time to catch a cold though, is there? I'm really bummed because we just finished 17th overall in Mobile last month out of the toughest field of 69 teams we have ever faced. 9th in pork and 3rd in brisket. Don't ask about chicken! Anyway, I was really liking our chances in Winchester this weekend even with me leaving before turn-in's. I'm sure I'll still have a good time, even with this stinking cold. My kids are the best thing about my life and I love spending time with them, but these comps are my chance to get away and unwind. I used to play golf, but I gave that up for BBQ! Anyway, thanks for letting me rant and reminding me what's really important. Wish me luck. And the kids, too, on their first game!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

And when your kid rounds third coming for home, you'll remember!
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Smoker'sLoungeBBQ

Explain to your son that you'd like to be at his tee ball game, but it's just not as fun as the comp. Also explain to him that this will be the first of many disappointments he can look forward to over the next decade or so.

As you may be able to tell, I have no children. All kidding aside though, feel better man!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

hey Mo,
two of my favorite expressions are "leave it all on the field" and "suck the marrow out of it". when this passes you will have done both! good luck and enjoy the game!!!
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
MoGreen

I'm feeling better already. Chicken prep is done and the cold meds are kicking in. Keep in mind these are 4 year olds playing tee-ball. They don't even know what 3rd base is! It should be funnier than hell, though, and I'll be proud to be there. I'll only be real upset if I miss the walk for our first Grand.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Sorry to hear you're sick, but glad you're feeling better.

The last comp I did, my usual partner couldn't make it up from Charlotte. So I enlisted my wife and kids to be my Sous Chef and clean-up crew. The kids did a fantastic job of clean-up, but the wife kept asking, "With the wind, rain, the cold weather and not getting ANY sleep... tell me why this is "fun" again??"

Some people just don't get it.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGreen View Post
these are 4 year olds playing tee-ball. They don't even know what 3rd base is! It should be funnier than hell, though
I remember those days! OMG, I would laugh until my pants were in danger, and I didn't even have a thermos of mojitos!

On the other hand, we've left before awards just once, and had phone calls made to us between each category. It turned out just fine

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah if don't worry if all the planets align and some how we get a GC I will call you from the stage

Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

Hey Mo, stay away from me and my lighter fluid this weekend. Don't need any germs. Just kidding. Look forward to seeing guys again. We are in space 46.

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

we are over right next to the water at 40 or next to it

Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitnfat View Post
we are over right next to the water at 40 or next to it
Allen is staying at the trailer tonight and Jared and I are at a hotel. See you tomorrow.

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
MoGreen

Looks like Mick is going to have to cook this one without me. Although I feel better, my little girl was just diagnosed with bronchitis, an upper respiratory infection, and an ear infection. Cooking and drinking beer wouldn't be much fun if all I could think about was her. She's pretty pitiful, and all she wants is her daddy. Guess that makes me her Grand Champion, and that's all that matters to me. Good luck to all y'all competing this weekend, and give 'em hell, Mick!