MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
Jainagirl
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Jaina
Default BBQ Rib Problem on Traeger Bronson 20

Hi, everyone

I have a question about pork ribs and the Traeger Bronson 20 pellet smoker/grill. This has happened a couple of times. When I make ribs, they come out almost too cooked, falling off the bone in shreds. The flavor and smoke are great, but they seem to be overcooked, according to what I see on TV. You can't just pick up a rib and take a bite -- the meat just falls off. Anyway, I think I need to adjust my cooking times. Presently, I'm doing 3 hr smoke, 2 hr wrapped and 1 hour glaze. I add some apple juice and seasonings to the wrap. I don't really know which times to adjust. Your help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I usually make a single rack, in the 3 to 4 pound weight range. Using Williams Rib Tickler rub and Traeger Sugar Lips glaze, membrane removed. Was thinking of possibly 2.5 hour smoke, 1.5 hour wrapped, 1 hour glaze. What do you think? TIA

Jaina
Jainagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

What ribs are you cooking? Spares or BB's?

Baby backs will cook a little faster than spares.

You are definitely overcooking them.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

What temp are you cooking at? I cook at 275-300 and find that any longer than an hour wrapped is going to be overcooked.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

I will say that if you are cooking them with your current timed methods, you should be down around 225-250. If you cook hotter, cut back on the first stage by 30 min to an hour, wrap and check after 30-45 min. Final sauced, uncovered stage needs to only be a few minutes to set the sauce. You can adjust accordingly, but this should get you to a better finished product.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Eric In STL
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Big E

One hour wrapped for spares or baby backs is plenty for either, ribs will be tender but won't fall off the bone
Eric In STL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainagirl View Post
Hi, everyone

When I make ribs, they come out almost too cooked, falling off the bone in shreds. The flavor and smoke are great, but they seem to be overcooked, according to what I see on TV. You can't just pick up a rib and take a bite -- the meat just falls off.

Anyway, I think I need to adjust my cooking times. Presently, I'm doing 3 hr smoke, 2 hr wrapped and 1 hour glaze. I add some apple juice and seasonings to the wrap. I don't really know which times to adjust. Your help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I usually make a single rack, in the 3 to 4 pound weight range. Using Williams Rib Tickler rub and Traeger Sugar Lips glaze, membrane removed. Was thinking of possibly 2.5 hour smoke, 1.5 hour wrapped, 1 hour glaze. What do you think? TIA

Jaina

You're another victim of the 3-2-1 method nonsense that's preached by people who have no clue what they are doing.

Nothing wrong with your original cook time of 3-4 hours (depending on rack size). It's the wrap that's killing you. 2 hours wrapped is way too long and will result in mushy ribs every time. Start checking them after about 30 minutes. In my experience longer than 1 hour results in mushy ribs.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #7
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Like said above. Limit the wrap time or eliminate the wrap time.

If I wrap it is usually about 30 minutes. This is what makes them tender but too much time will make them fall off the bone.
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SoCal

Had the same problem. Was trying to get fancy with 3-2-1...just run them straight and watch your time with respect to the ribs your doing. Mine come out better now.
AWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #9
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

What the other folks have said. After I learned my WSM I'm more of a 2-1.5-.5 guy now. Always bend test before and after wrapping. Great indicator on how much longer to go. I've had to forego the last .5 hour to let the sauce set because they are done when they are done on some racks. Sauce still sets fine if you plan on adding any while they are resting. That's Saint Louis cut spares at 275*F.

Good Luck!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote