Making Chicken Sausage Weekend w/ pron

Mad Max

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Decided to try my hand at making homemade chicken sausage. Looked in my "Home Sausage Making" book, by Susan Mahnke & Charles G. Reavis, for some chicken recipes. I came up with two, that interested me- Chicken Bratwurst and Chicken Sausage with Apple and Chardonnay. First, we cut up and deboned about 11.5 #'s of thighs.
IMG_0075.jpg

Use the KitchenAid with the grinder attachment to grind the chicken the 1st time.
IMG_0077.jpg

The grounded up chicken...
IMG_0078.jpg

Weight and divided the grounded chicken into two portions. One about 3#'s for the apple and chardonnay, the other about 6 #'s for the Bratwursts.
I mixed one batch, while my wife mixed the other. Here is a close up of the Apple and Chardonnay, after a 2nd grind.
IMG_0083.jpg

Now, a few test patties to taste the seasoning...
IMG_0080.jpg

Start the stuffing process...
IMG_0084.jpg

The first roll...
IMG_0086.jpg

Making the links...
IMG_0090.jpg

The lovely Mrs. Max....
IMG_0092.jpg

Grilled on the indoor grill, just because we finished up a bit late. These are the bratwurst and they were very tasty and incredibly moist. Can't wait to try the Apple and Chardonnay, soon. Some veggies to make it all healthy!
IMG_0095.jpg

And the close up....
IMG_0097.jpg

Thanks for viewing, tomorrow I start the pork sausage, can't pass up the .84 / # on pork butts, sale at RD.

You guys have the perfect equipment and did an outstanding job with the sausagemakers tie job on those links.

The wine recipe sounds really good. I use a lot of fresh vegies in chicken sausages, like chopped onion, garlic, peppers, parsley etc., and serve with salsa.

One thing with most grinding, but especially with chicken is to set pans in the freezer following the deboning and cubing. Your ground chicken will be much less mushy, it will mix easier and stuff better too. I will use a plastic dish pan full of ice, and an empty metal bowl in the center of it. When my icy meat comes out of the grinder it falls into the ice packed bowl. I chill it again before stuffing. Also ice down your water or wine before adding it in.

You guys have the perfect equipment and did an outstanding job with the sausagemakers tie job on those links.

The wine recipe sounds really good. I use a lot of fresh vegies in chicken sausages, like chopped onion, garlic, peppers, parsley etc., and serve with salsa.

One thing with most grinding, but especially with chicken is to set pans in the freezer following the deboning and cubing. Your ground chicken will be much less mushy, it will mix easier and stuff better too. I will use a plastic dish pan full of ice, and an empty metal bowl in the center of it. When my icy meat comes out of the grinder it falls into the ice packed bowl. I chill it again before stuffing. Also ice down your water or wine before adding it in.
Thanks, for the tips. We actually did a quick 30 minute freeze, before grinds. I thought it was more of a safety precaution, with the meat. I was under the assumption that the heat from the grinder, could put your meat in the danger zone for possible contamination. That is why, I love this forum. :-D

I appreciate you posting pics. It all looks fantastic!

I have a cabela's grinder and always put the metal grinding parts in freezer for 1/2 hour or more prior to grinding to help with any heat prob. Sausage looks great by the way! I love chicken sausages after making a big batch a few months ago. I added some pork fat to help with the juiciness.

+1 on the ice water.
Keep the meat cold as you can in between grinding and stuffing.
Makes life easier.

Your Chicken Sausage looks very delicious.

Every time I read a thread like this I get the itch to go buy the equipment to make sausages. Very nice work. Vince

Getting ready to do the pork sausage. Cut up about 16 pounds of pork butt and getting ready for the grinder...
IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

This time, I am going to try this maple flavor seasoning, that I picked up at Bass Pro shop. I'll post more pictures later....
IMG_0103.jpg

thanks for the pics! We have a kitchen aid just like that. I guess i need to get my butt get the attachements! Nice looking sausages!

You guys always get me in trouble hahaha now o have to explain why I need to make my own sausage because after those pics I now have to go buy the equipment. The pics look great I can almost taste the sausage from here. Great job!

thanks for the pics! We have a kitchen aid just like that. I guess i need to get my butt get the attachements! Nice looking sausages!
Thanks, it took me a while to get the grinder attachment, but now I really use it a lot.

You guys always get me in trouble hahaha now o have to explain why I need to make my own sausage because after those pics I now have to go buy the equipment. The pics look great I can almost taste the sausage from here. Great job!
That is how it all starts. Thanks for the comments.

Back