HOW TO: Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya! Pron Heavy

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I love me some Jambalaya. Being in South Louisiana naturally its one of the things I grew up eating. Sometimes I will see someone on TV cooking or eating something that they call "Jambalaya" and I will just shake my head just like every time a movie is set in Louisiana, yet every character sounds like they are from a Georgia plantation.

Jambalaya is one of those classic Louisiana dishes that came about from a combination of cultures. However the culture that probably contributed the most to its creation were the Spanish that settled in South Louisiana. Some might argue this, but it most likely came about when the Spanish set about to make Paella, but could not get exactly the ingredients that they would normally use. So they substituted as best they could and through their ingenuity, and many many years of the dish's evolution we have what we now know as Jambalaya.

Jambalayas fall into two main categories Cajun(Brown) and Creole(Red) I will do my best to explain the difference.

Brown or Cajun Jambalaya is normally what you will find outside of the New Orleans area. It typically does not contain tomatoes or seafood although it could and normally people in the Cajun areas of the state such as Houma, Lafayette, Opelousas, Gonzales, Lake Charles, etc prefer this style.

Red or Creole Jambalaya is what you are most likely to get if you visit a restaurant in New Orleans that has Jambalaya on their menu. It will be heavy on the tomatoes, and will most likely have seafood of some kind, usually shrimp, but may also include sausage or some other meat.

All that being said, there is no right or wrong way to make Jambalaya, because it came about as a result of people using what they had. This is "a" Jambalaya recipe, not "the" Jambalya recipe. Whatever your personal preference is its all good!

Now lets get started. This Jambalaya is going to be a Brown with a touch of Red. I'm not making it very hot like I would for just myself. If you want it hotter just add some cayenne. A cast iron pot is best for this, but any good heavy pot with a good fitting lid will do. At the very least you want the bottom of the pot to be heavy.

First get your ingredients ready

Cut up 2 lbs of your favorite smoked sausage.
uploadfromtaptalk1299559424589.jpg

Then cut up 1 lb of chicken. I just used boneless skinless breasts for convenience.
uploadfromtaptalk1299559583202.jpg

Then the veggies.

Finely dice 1-1/2 medium onions.
uploadfromtaptalk1299559716605.jpg

3 ribs of celery.
uploadfromtaptalk1299559783363.jpg

1/2 of a bell pepper.
uploadfromtaptalk1299559849917.jpg

About a half head of garlic.
uploadfromtaptalk1299559911334.jpg

You will also need three bay leaves, one 8oz can of tomato sauce, two 14oz cans of chicken broth, and 1-1/2 tbsp of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning.
uploadfromtaptalk1299560246098.jpguploadfromtaptalk1299560308398.jpguploadfromtaptalk1299560384715.jpg

And three cups of long grain rice. You can use par boiled which I actually prefer, but the cooking time will be longer.

Start off by coating the bottom of your pot with bacon grease or other oil. Heat it until it begins to smoke then add the Sausage and onions.
uploadfromtaptalk1299560618015.jpguploadfromtaptalk1299560663691.jpguploadfromtaptalk1299560733698.jpg

Over medium/high heat, saute until the sausage is browned and the onions are tender, then add the chicken.uploadfromtaptalk1299560880710.jpg

Saute about five minutes and then add the celery, bell pepper, garlic and bay leaves.
uploadfromtaptalk1299561048419.jpg

Saute about another 5-10 minutes until the celery, pepper, and garlic are tender. Then add the tomato sauce and the Tony C's.
uploadfromtaptalk1299561292463.jpg

Yeah its alot of steps but it is sooooo worth it!

Cook this mixture another 5-10 minutes or until the liquid is a gravy consistency, then add the rice, and mix well.
uploadfromtaptalk1299561567720.jpg

Stir while cooking another five minutes then add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
uploadfromtaptalk1299561749099.jpg

ATTENTION!!!!! This is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!

After it comes to a boil, turn the heat as low as it will go, and put the lid on as tight as possible. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT REMOVE THE LID AT ALL!!! until the right amount of time has passed! If you are using regular long grain rice, you can take the lid off after 25 minutes if you use par boiled rice let it go for 45 minutes before checking. But dont touch that lid too early unless you want crunchy rice and dont let it go too long unless you want it mushy and gummy.
uploadfromtaptalk1299562326519.jpg

When the right time has passed shut off the heat and open the lid. There may be some liquid sitting on top, this is fine give it a good stir and this is what you should have.
uploadfromtaptalk1299562434065.jpg

It sounds like alot of work, but it really isn't that bad. And when its done you will have some "real" Louisiana Jambalaya!
uploadfromtaptalk1299562661184.jpg

Well there it is. Hopefully I didn't come off as a know it all, about Louisiana food, because I certainly don't. This is just my way of sharing one of my favorites with those of you who may not be as familiar with it.

Hope you all enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't find the Tony Chachere's seasoning locally here is the recipe.

26 ounces salt
1 1/2 ounces black pepper
2 ounces ground red pepper
1 ounce garlic powder
1 ounce chili powder

Thank you for the education. I've always wondered. I'm thinking I need to try this for myself. By the way, cool dutch oven too.

I made a pot for superbowl a few weeks back. The only difference between our recipes is that I used thigh meat instead of breast. Always a big hit at my Elks lodge parties and darts matches.

Well Done Sir!

Browned tha sausage...
utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTItMjAxMTAyMDYtMTU0My5qcGc.jpg

Browned tha Chicken...
utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTMtMjAxMTAyMDYtMTYxMy5qcGc.jpg

Together with onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper, and some creole seasoning...
utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTQtMjAxMTAyMDYtMTYxNS5qcGc.jpg

Added a can of crushed tomatos, stock, and more spice, after a slow boil, came the rice...

Booyaaa!!!
utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTktMjAxMTAyMDYtMTY1Ny5qcGc.jpg

MMMMMMMMMMMMM.....that looks great.... :thumb:
Nicely Done :-D

You have me wanting some jambalaya. I guess that will be this weekends cook. I like to smoke the chicken and sausage to give the jambalaya some smoke flavor.
I also prefer par-boilded rice. Doesn't stick or clump like regular rice.

Well Done Sir. Every time I see a Cajun/Creole dish makes me miss Bayou Lafourche. I love me some Jambalaya and I also love my seafood gumbo. I'm ready for a pot of both. Thanks for the post, recipe and pron.

I made a pot for superbowl a few weeks back. The only difference between our recipes is that I used thigh meat instead of breast. Always a big hit at my Elks lodge parties and darts matches.

Well Done Sir!

Browned tha sausage...
utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTItMjAxMTAyMDYtMTU0My5qcGc.jpg

Browned tha Chicken...
utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTMtMjAxMTAyMDYtMTYxMy5qcGc.jpg

Together with onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper, and some creole seasoning...

Added a can of crushed tomatos, stock, and more spice, after a slow boil, came the rice...

Booyaaa!!!
utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTktMjAxMTAyMDYtMTY1Ny5qcGc.jpg

Nice Joe! Yeah I normally use thigh meat, or even better cut up pork butt, but I went with what was on hand.

Alot of times I will smoke all the trimmings when I make St Louis cut spares, and use them in a Jambalaya. Honestly I have probably never made it the same exact way twice.

Excellent tutorial, love the jambalaya and gumbo from down that way.

WOW! I have never cooked or eaten Jamabalya. It looks pretty easy to make with your tutuorial, thanks!
Question, can you use Med. Grain Brown Rice? In Hawaii we use the Med. grain, we like the sticky rice here. Brown rice only because I'm trying to watch my carbs.
The end product is a more dryer consistency than soupy?

Thanks again!@

WOW! I have never cooked or eaten Jamabalya. It looks pretty easy to make with your tutuorial, thanks!
Question, can you use Med. Grain Brown Rice? In Hawaii we use the Med. grain, we like the sticky rice here. Brown rice only because I'm trying to watch my carbs.
The end product is a more dryer consistency than soupy?

Thanks again!@

Yes alot of people here make brown rice Jambalaya. I have never made it myself. My advice would be to make a small batch first and see if the moisture comes out right. And adjust the cooking time accordingly for the brown rice.

Yes alot of people here make brown rice Jambalaya. I have never made it myself. My advice would be to make a small batch first and see if the moisture comes out right. And adjust the cooking time accordingly for the brown rice.

Ok, normally Brown Rice use 1.5 water to Brown Rice (med. grain)

This is going right on my to do list, thanx! Looks great!

Back