Indirect chicken on the bge

Zedsdead

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Gonna try indirect chicken on the bge tonight to see the difference, if any (only done chicken direct). Do I do the platesetter legs up or down? And how long should it take for boneless breasts if I do it at 375? Any other tips for indirect chicken on the bge are appreciated

Platesetter legs up holing the grate. I'm not sure on cooking time, I would guess 45 min. I'm sure a more knowledgeable Brethren will chime in...

That is about the right time. Keep the lid closed until the last 15 minutes, then toss a slice of pineapple and a little more of your seasoning on top the chicken when you inspect. Close it back up and let it go until done.

I'm on a bit of a pineapple kick lately.....

PS: Don't remove the Black Iron Egg topper and set it on the ground close to the grill where if you are barefooted and have a flareup you could accidently kick the topper and break your little toe on your right foot.:sick: I'm just saying......

c7f37fd5.jpg

Yep, platesetter legs up, foil or a drip pan on it, cooking grate. I can tell you that skin-on bone-in thighs take about 40 minutes when cooked indirect around 400°. Since I take them into the 180°+ range, I would expect breasts would not take any longer since you will pull them off at 160° to 165°.

Things to consider would be:
1. Brining the breasts
2. Marinating them
3. Basting with a liquid that has a little oil in it
4. Doing a sauce finish​

c7f37fd5.jpg

Yep, platesetter legs up, foil or a drip pan on it, cooking grate. I can tell you that skin-on bone-in thighs take about 40 minutes when cooked indirect around 400°. Since I take them into the 180°+ range, I would expect breasts would not take any longer since you will pull them off at 160° to 165°.

Things to consider would be:
1. Brining the breasts
2. Marinating them
3. Basting with a liquid that has a little oil in it
4. Doing a sauce finish​

Nice looking chicken. Why do you take them to such a high temp? I would think that they would dry out, but since it is YOU doing it, I know that's not the case. If I did it, I'm not so sure.

PS: Don't remove the Black Iron Egg topper and set it on the ground close to the grill where if you are barefooted and have a flareup you could accidently kick the topper and break your little toe on your right foot.:sick: I'm just saying......

LOL, this is good to know as I previously authored the saying "lit lump looks an awful lot like unlit lump" when walking barefoot on the patio!

Gonna try indirect chicken on the bge tonight to see the difference, if any (only done chicken direct). Do I do the platesetter legs up or down? And how long should it take for boneless breasts if I do it at 375? Any other tips for indirect chicken on the bge are appreciated

I'd like to know how it comes out and how you like it. I'm doing the same thing tonight for the first cook on my BGE. Thighs 375-400 with a platesetter.

Back