help with outdoor wedding

mikerobes

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Need a little advice Brethren. We are being ask to cook a wedding (yikes), on sight with our trailer in the Brides Parents backyard.Never did one before, but pretty sure I can pull it off on time and great quality. They're wanting pulled chicken, pulled pork and pulled beef as of now, they may go to just the pork and beef. Sides will be Cole slaw and smoked beans. I may offer cheesy potatoes too. How much meat per person with 2 meats and maybe three. Same with full pans of those sides, She is expecting 300 guest, which will include women and children of course. How much will one pan of beans feed, same with slaw and cheesy potatoes. Im thinking the slaw may not go as well if the other two are available. Thanks

Hey Mike- we just did one outside for 300 people. it was pretty crazy but we got through it. let me chat with the wife and I'll get back to you with some ideas on how much she bought. We did pulled pork and then a bunch of other fancy things but the vibe sounds about the same as what you are doing. The one thing we did that really made it workable was we did the pork a day ahead reheated sous vide in a 50 gallon cooler with an annova immersion circulator. I'm not a big reheat guy but this worked like a champ. The pork was money and everyone raved over how good it was. The wedding was 200 miles away so we were forced to do it this way. By having all this done, we were able to cook and assemble everything else on site. We served 300 people in an hour with 4 people!

If you are tight for time and staff, the sous vide bath can work wonders to keep food at peak freshness for many hours.

I'll get back to you with meat amounts etc here in a bit.

Good luck- it is a ton of fun but you will be wiped out after serving 300 people.

Come by and buy me a beer and i'll answer all your questions brother. ;)

Hey Mike- we just did one outside for 300 people. it was pretty crazy but we got through it. let me chat with the wife and I'll get back to you with some ideas on how much she bought. We did pulled pork and then a bunch of other fancy things but the vibe sounds about the same as what you are doing. The one thing we did that really made it workable was we did the pork a day ahead reheated sous vide in a 50 gallon cooler with an annova immersion circulator. I'm not a big reheat guy but this worked like a champ. The pork was money and everyone raved over how good it was. The wedding was 200 miles away so we were forced to do it this way. By having all this done, we were able to cook and assemble everything else on site. We served 300 people in an hour with 4 people!

If you are tight for time and staff, the sous vide bath can work wonders to keep food at peak freshness for many hours.

I'll get back to you with meat amounts etc here in a bit.

Good luck- it is a ton of fun but you will be wiped out after serving 300 people.

Would you mind giving some details of the workflow, time, temps on the sous vide process you used?

Would you mind giving some details of the workflow, time, temps on the sous vide process you used?

Yep- I did all this on 2 LBGE's. I did 8 butts the day before (obviously 4 on each). I pulled them and vac sealed them, and threw them in an ice bath to rapid cool.

I also smoked 2 venison shoulders and 20 duck breast. All vac sealed and ice bathed.

We also made Tomato basil soup and bagged up in food saver bags.

Once we got to the venue I poured about 5 gallons of boiling hot water into a large 50qt cooler. I filled the rest up with hot tap water and set the annova to 140. I couldn't believe how well it held such a large bath. I put the pork butts, venison shoulders, and soup in the big bath 3 hrs before service (2hrs for the venison as it was an appetizer (we made venison "carnitas" street tacos out of this).

We also have a Sous Vide Supreme and we warmed the 20 duck breasts in that for an hour before serving it as an appetizer as well.

once the apps were served (before the ceremony at a cocktail reception) we set out all the chafing dishes and started building our entrees. We did pulled pork sammies, fried chicken and waffles, and tomato basil soup with cheese crostini.

We pulled the pork from the bath and added to a steam tray behind the scenes and built sammies and put in a steam tray out front as people showed up. They literally walked right from the ceremony to the table. It got real hot, real fast at that point.

We had 2 people building sammies and 2 building the chicken and waffles and it was balls to the wall for an hour straight. They were going through a tray every few minutes (like 20 sandwiches a tray) and we had 4 people handling it all. Not recommended but I'll get in to that in a minute.

The sous vide really saved the day. we were able to plan ahead, keep things warm and fresh for hours and it was good. Not the way I would normally serve but the situation dictated it. It was my nieces wedding and we did it for cost of food (and didn't even cover all that). We were upfront about what we were going to have to do and how we had to do it to keep costs down (that was key). My sister planned for 150, my wife knew better and planned for 300. We estimate 350 showed up. It was insane.

So my sister planned the wedding and had 8 people that were supposed to show up to help. I think (know) money got tight right at the end and she couldn't pay them so 1 person showed up and my other sister jumped in to help. This could have been a disaster but my wife and I owned a very busy restaurant for a few years and had been in the weeds many times. It was chaos but we pounded out a good service and everyone raved about the food.

The real issue was that most of those 8 people were supposed to clear tables and haul trash- none of that got done and it created a bit of a mess. some of the kids pitched in for them and got it all cleaned up quickly though. I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of $20's being handed out by good Samaritans to light a fire under the teen boys (including mine) to bust out the trash and bus tables. Problem solved but not as elegant as you would want. Not sure many people noticed.

We would normally control everything from setup, service, staff and breakdown but we were doing it because we love them and wanted to help them out. It's always tough to get between the bride's mother and her wedding plan but it's impossible when it's your sister :grin:. It was the most chaotic event we have ever done and would never do it again without full control of the event.

Like I said, this event was 200 miles from me in the country with no commercial kitchen. The wedding was at their house so we couldn't be banging pots and pans around for a 300 person service anyway. i don't have a trailer so I had to work with what I had. I would have cooked on site and Cambro'd the meat for service if my setup allowed it but it didn't.

As you have gathered by now, I'm a huge proponent of Sous vide when the situation calls for it. I have no idea why more commercial kitchens do not use them.

Phew! let me know if you have any more questions. That was actaully cathartic

Centex, that was a great read,
and I'm kinda worried I gotta feed 6 people this Saturday!
GREAT JOB!

Yep- I did all this on 2 LBGE's. I did 8 butts the day before (obviously 4 on each). I pulled them and vac sealed them, and threw them in an ice bath to rapid cool.

I also smoked 2 venison shoulders and 20 duck breast. All vac sealed and ice bathed.

We also made Tomato basil soup and bagged up in food saver bags.

Once we got to the venue I poured about 5 gallons of boiling hot water into a large 50qt cooler. I filled the rest up with hot tap water and set the annova to 140. I couldn't believe how well it held such a large bath. I put the pork butts, venison shoulders, and soup in the big bath 3 hrs before service (2hrs for the venison as it was an appetizer (we made venison "carnitas" street tacos out of this).

We also have a Sous Vide Supreme and we warmed the 20 duck breasts in that for an hour before serving it as an appetizer as well.

once the apps were served (before the ceremony at a cocktail reception) we set out all the chafing dishes and started building our entrees. We did pulled pork sammies, fried chicken and waffles, and tomato basil soup with cheese crostini.

We pulled the pork from the bath and added to a steam tray behind the scenes and built sammies and put in a steam tray out front as people showed up. They literally walked right from the ceremony to the table. It got real hot, real fast at that point.

We had 2 people building sammies and 2 building the chicken and waffles and it was balls to the wall for an hour straight. They were going through a tray every few minutes (like 20 sandwiches a tray) and we had 4 people handling it all. Not recommended but I'll get in to that in a minute.

The sous vide really saved the day. we were able to plan ahead, keep things warm and fresh for hours and it was good. Not the way I would normally serve but the situation dictated it. It was my nieces wedding and we did it for cost of food (and didn't even cover all that). We were upfront about what we were going to have to do and how we had to do it to keep costs down (that was key). My sister planned for 150, my wife knew better and planned for 300. We estimate 350 showed up. It was insane.

So my sister planned the wedding and had 8 people that were supposed to show up to help. I think (know) money got tight right at the end and she couldn't pay them so 1 person showed up and my other sister jumped in to help. This could have been a disaster but my wife and I owned a very busy restaurant for a few years and had been in the weeds many times. It was chaos but we pounded out a good service and everyone raved about the food.

The real issue was that most of those 8 people were supposed to clear tables and haul trash- none of that got done and it created a bit of a mess. some of the kids pitched in for them and got it all cleaned up quickly though. I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of $20's being handed out by good Samaritans to light a fire under the teen boys (including mine) to bust out the trash and bus tables. Problem solved but not as elegant as you would want. Not sure many people noticed.

We would normally control everything from setup, service, staff and breakdown but we were doing it because we love them and wanted to help them out. It's always tough to get between the bride's mother and her wedding plan but it's impossible when it's your sister :grin:. It was the most chaotic event we have ever done and would never do it again without full control of the event.

Like I said, this event was 200 miles from me in the country with no commercial kitchen. The wedding was at their house so we couldn't be banging pots and pans around for a 300 person service anyway. i don't have a trailer so I had to work with what I had. I would have cooked on site and Cambro'd the meat for service if my setup allowed it but it didn't.

As you have gathered by now, I'm a huge proponent of Sous vide when the situation calls for it. I have no idea why more commercial kitchens do not use them.

Phew! let me know if you have any more questions. That was actaully cathartic

I can empathize with you on feeding that many people offsite and being undermanned, I run my tailgate parties on a shoestring labor-wise and regularly feed 250-350 in a parking lot, lol. Thanks for the info.

As for why more commercial operations don't use sous vide, to put it simply, health regulations. A lot of health departments really give a hard time or pitch a fit over it, and haccp plans have to be done.

I can empathize with you on feeding that many people offsite and being undermanned, I run my tailgate parties on a shoestring labor-wise and regularly feed 250-350 in a parking lot, lol. Thanks for the info.

As for why more commercial operations don't use sous vide, to put it simply, health regulations. A lot of health departments really give a hard time or pitch a fit over it, and haccp plans have to be done.

Yeah- good times!

The SV regs have subsided quite a bit. NYC really cracked down on them a few years ago and everyone else panicked but it's lightened up now that more agencies understand it. Still a good amount of people using them for fancy cooks around here but the real value in commercial kitchens in my mind is holding for service.

Back