Pellet grill/smoker poll

Have you owned one in the past, own one now, or plan to own one in the future?

• Own one in past but no longer do

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Own one now

Votes: 107 57.5%
  • Plan to own one in the future

Votes: 32 17.2%
  • Do not plan to ever own one

Votes: 36 19.4%

• Total voters
I owned a WSM and kettle at the time. First pellet pooper I bought was an impulse buy. It had little temp control if at all. Sold it a month later and bought another. It had great temp control, but little to no smoke flavor produced, so I sold it after a year. Finally did my research and found that the problem wasn't pellet smokers in general, just particular pellet smokers.
I finally zeroed in on a MAK and bought it. I love it...control and smoke flavor. I may add a Yoder in the future as well.

I have the yoder and experience everything you listed. I do understand from others that the Mak has great smoke flavor. It would be awesome if you got a yoder and reported the differences in flavor profile to all of us!

Even though I am a pellethead, I’ve gotta admit, I like guys like you. Low tech, old school will always be cool to me! Perhaps one day when my kids are grown and gone, I’ll start shining my shoes, sharpening my own knives and start my bbq by rubbing 2 sticks together. [emoji41]

Iv got friends with the pellet smokers and I have NO Problem eating the grub they cook on them. :)

I think as i get older (38now) I am getting further and further away from ease. I am working on my open fire grilling so when i put in my outdoor kitchen (something that shoudl be super nice and updated), i can put in a Santa Maria grill and be forced to build fire.

I just LOVE this stuff.

rb

No pooper here, never will. Have friends and family that have them. I have tinkered with them on and off while visiting. The ones that I know that have them need them. They have kids, busy lives, wives and daughters don't like real, smoky BBQ, or they like to sit around on their ass playing video games "while they BBQ", etc.

I'm nearing retirement and am old school, smoking is a fun thing for me, something about tending a lump or stick fire and monitoring temps, a few tweaks here and there, drinking bourbon, smoking cigars and BS'ing joking and telling tall stories with friends while BBQ'ing. It's an event for me and friends.

No pooper here, never will. Have friends and family that have them. I have tinkered with them on and off while visiting. The ones that I know that have them need them. They have kids, busy lives, wives and daughters don't like real, smoky BBQ, or they like to sit around on their ass playing video games "while they BBQ", etc.

I'm nearing retirement and am old school, smoking is a fun thing for me, something about tending a lump or stick fire and monitoring temps, a few tweaks here and there, drinking bourbon, smoking cigars and BS'ing joking and telling tall stories with friends while BBQ'ing. It's an event for me and friends.

We should hang out :yo:

I recently got a pooper and I don't need it, but I've been using it 3-4 times a week. It was the passion for learning new things and a Black Friday sale that got me pooping; I'm having a blast experimenting with it! Drinking bourbon or beer and hanging out on the deck while Q'ing doesn't have to stop because you're using a pooper. I still love cooking with fire and my WSM and Performer are not being neglected, but my family and friends are loving the food that comes off the Daniel Boone. I said I would never get one but I'm glad I did.

Definitely not in the foreseeable future... I'm putting allot of effort into mastering bbq and would get zero enjoyment out of the process of a pellet...

I make my own roux, sharpen knives with a stone, shine my shoes by hand and bbq without the use of electricity. Iv been told I was born in the wrong generation..

But to each his own.

Rb

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have a stickburner, kettle, WGA, wood-fired oven and several ways of cooking on open fire. I also have a pellet grill because sometimes it is just way more convenient to use than any of the other tools. I LOVE sitting around, drinking beer and playing with fire but there are things that I much prefer doing on the pellet grill than any of the other cooking tools. As long as they produce good food, I'm ok. I have done ribs on pellet, stickburner and kettle, they were all very good. But the pellet allows me to cook some l&s ribs on a weekday without having to look at them.

Back