MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #8056
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQboy View Post
I have seen them advertising around here on Craigslist - when you get it, can you give us a review as inquiring minds would like to know about the craftsmanship and its versatility.
I plan on doing a full review from start to finish. It's the least I can do for this community.

If it helps I started a thread that is documenting everything from start to prob my first cook. I plan on posting pic.. <cough> I mean Pr0n.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=108013
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #8057
YankeeBBQboy
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
I plan on doing a full review from start to finish. It's the least I can do for this community.

If it helps I started a thread that is documenting everything from start to prob my first cook. I plan on posting pic.. <cough> I mean Pr0n.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=108013

Thanks - look forward to reading it.
YankeeBBQboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #8058
mnmgri4
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My second UDS and it's first cook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010780.jpg (75.2 KB, 1112 views)
File Type: jpg P1010782.jpg (48.3 KB, 1107 views)
File Type: jpg P1010783.jpg (47.7 KB, 1106 views)
File Type: jpg P1010784.jpg (55.8 KB, 1107 views)
File Type: jpg P1010803.jpg (109.3 KB, 1108 views)
mnmgri4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #8059
flyweed
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy-Meat View Post
Tomorrow I am going to get my nipples welded to the drum then I am going to burn it out.

Maybe it's just me..but this sounds like it is really gonna hurt!!!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #8060
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmgri4 View Post
My second UDS and it's first cook.
Looks terrific!
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #8061
bbq_noobie
Got rid of the matchlight.

Another in Alabama - Carter Oil Co. in Sheffield (256-383-0914). NEW for $20. Used are $10, but I wouldn't buy a used one from an oil company.
bbq_noobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #8062
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq_noobie View Post
Another in Alabama - Carter Oil Co. in Sheffield (256-383-0914). NEW for $20. Used are $10, but I wouldn't buy a used one from an oil company.
Actually used oil drums are not that bad. If you do a good burn, and then powerwash it out, they work great.

Most people talk about food grade drums like they are a good thing. The liner in a food grade drum is way harder to get our AND more toxic than the mineral oil residue in a drum. No carcinogens in motor oil..........its organic. Look up an MSDS sheet for motor oil. Worst thing you can get a minute trace of oil left in a drum is a laxative effect.
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #8063
huaco
Got Wood.

I seasoned my UDS and had a few problems. I did not have a very large fire. I was able to get the UDS to well over 230 for several hours. But... to do that I had to open all three bottom vents. I did not have an exhaust stack on it at the time (Since then I got a 10" pipe and screwed in the 2" bung). Could not having an exhaust stack cause back draft and smoke come out of my bottom vents?
huaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #8064
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaco View Post
I seasoned my UDS and had a few problems. I did not have a very large fire. I was able to get the UDS to well over 230 for several hours. But... to do that I had to open all three bottom vents. I did not have an exhaust stack on it at the time (Since then I got a 10" pipe and screwed in the 2" bung). Could not having an exhaust stack cause back draft and smoke come out of my bottom vents?
Yeah, without an exhaust hole, you would have a problem. You need draft to get the intake air to fuel the fire. Did you have just the bung hole opened at least? Having the pipe wouldn't make a difference, as long as you had some sort of exhaust port.

With your 2" pipe in there, you should be fine. Try it again. You should be able to get to 300+ degrees with all three vents open and enough hot coals to start out.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #8065
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Finally got some pics........

Finally got some pics uploaded of the drums I have made. Sold a few so far, and I hope to make 2 or 3 more. Very simple design with magnets over 7/8" draft holes.

Found some great barrels.....higher gauge steel. I cut the bottoms out, and use the open top w/bolt ring as the bottom. So far I have had a little trouble with drippings coming out of the bolt on bottom, might try some RTV around the groove in the lid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBQBarrel3.jpg (62.8 KB, 1030 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0006_2.jpg (117.0 KB, 1026 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0012.jpg (31.9 KB, 1018 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0014.jpg (78.9 KB, 1022 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0038.jpg (50.5 KB, 1019 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0035.jpg (55.1 KB, 1020 views)

Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #8066
Spicy-Meat
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice job Smokindave. I have to try the casters. Did you weld or screw them on?
Spicy-Meat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #8067
dozenmonkeyz

Finally got my first UDS to operable and decent looking condition so thought I'd follow up on my earlier post and give some details.

Stuck with a pretty basic and simple design. Cut the flat top out leaving a slight rim inside the edge ring in case the lid may need it. Drilled 3 evenly spaced 1" dia holes at 2" from the bottom of the drum. Burned the drum out; it's previous life was a container for a water soluble machining lubricant and I think the drum had the clear rust resistant liner... plus, why not BURN

After the burn I washed off the entire barrell with water/tide to clean off the burn residue. Next I hit the exterior with grinder and sanding disc, and softened the sharp edge with the grinding wheel.

Next, hit it with 2 cans of high heat rustoleum and rubbed the inside with crisco.

Picked up a cheap kettle for parts, so I hinge mounted the lid after pounding out and fitting the rim on the drum. Also, slapped on some cheap frig magnets for air control.

Used 1/4" tapered head bolts backwards through the drum with a double nut and washers, 3 equally spaced at 2 different grill heights starting at 24" +/- from the bottom of the charcoal basket.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #8068
dozenmonkeyz

Default Charcoal Basket

The charcoal basket cost me almost nothing and was nearly all salvage material. The grate was a junk yard find of an old gas grill grate for $1. The expanded metal was out of a steel shop leftover pile and cost me $5 for 13"x52". The bolts and tie wire were leftovers from an old project.

I simply cut the grate to square with the angle grinder. Bent the expanded metal into a square and wire tied it to the grate. Twisted a pair of wire for a handle and bolted the legs on.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #8069
dozenmonkeyz

Default First Burn

Lit the basket with 14 hot KF coals on 5-6 lbs with apple chunks. Seasoned for a couple hours full bore and topped out about 450^.

Throttled back down to about 350^ by closing 2 1/2 intakes over about 1 hour. Control seemed nice but magnets were sort of a hassle.

Threw on a fatty stuffed with green pepper, onion and cream cheese, and some split chicken.

With an hour or so left, put some corn in. I guess I hadn't rolled the fatty very well. It split apart but stayed intact enough to make it thru the cook.

And cooked meat.

This was my first ever smoke and the trial run on the UDS... both came out fantastic! The fatty was over done but delicious and the chicken was great

Thanks for all the advice and tips and trial & error this thread and posters have offered This was awesome and I'll share my experiences as I explore more smokin!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #8070
stglide
On the road to being a farker

Look'n good! The ole drum is quite the smoker for now more than what you put in one!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker