MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #121
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Gonna be doing to "non-hanging" cooks this weekend on the PBC, and I am already anticipating they will be 2 of the best I have ever done (not to mention the easiest). Gonna grill chicken kabobs on day 1, and hot-smoke a meatloaf the next :)
Looking forward to Your report on the Grilling,I am anxious to see How it turns out !!There hasn't been much said on the grilling aspect of the Cooker.That is one reason I have yet to buy one !Maybe John could jump in and clue us in on the Grilling procedure !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #122
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbob View Post
Maybe John could jump in and clue us in on the Grilling procedure
Grilling Procedure: Light coals, add supplied 17" grate, wait 20 minutes, grill (with the lid off).

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #123
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Grilling Procedure: Light coals, add supplied 17" grate, wait 20 minutes, grill (with the lid off).

John
Thanks John,I was not sure how low in the Barrel the grate sits,and whether that was a drawback or not...thanks for the input !! I believe I am gonna go ahead and Pull The trigger !! Thanks again for all the input You have given on the Pit Barrel Cooker....all made in the USA and a Veteran...that is a good Combination to me!!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!

Last edited by Oldbob; 01-19-2013 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #124
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

I'm happy to help. You're gonna dig it!

John

P.S. And he's a Navy combat vet (corpsman).
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #125
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

Trust me you'll enjoy it immensely!!
Nate749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #126
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate749 View Post
.. I get that the wsm guys will say wsm is the way to go and won't even think about a PBC. But do think about options, I remember when Apple wasn't cool to own.. Or even heaven forbid I own a luxury Hyundai
i own a wsm 22 (and wsm mini in process) and i'm gonna pull the trigger on a PBC today.

it is a similar but different cooker (especially if you use it as directed by the manufacturer).

dont think you could really go wrong either way..... and that is why i shall own both!
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #127
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

I got my PBC in on Tuesday afternoon. I fired it up at the office today. I lit coals as instructed. I am cooking 4 chicken halves. The chicken has been on the pit for 1 hour 20 minutes. The pit temp right below the rebar in center of pit is 253. The internal chicken temp right now is 148. I would think the chicken will be done in about 15-20 more minutes. So far I couldn't be happier.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #128
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcj3rd View Post
I got my PBC in on Tuesday afternoon. I fired it up at the office today. I lit coals as instructed. I am cooking 4 chicken halves. The chicken has been on the pit for 1 hour 20 minutes. The pit temp right below the rebar in center of pit is 253. The internal chicken temp right now is 148. I would think the chicken will be done in about 15-20 more minutes. So far I couldn't be happier.
thats great news... i just got done placing my order

Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #129
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

If I am spending my money, I would buy a WSM.

If I am looking to save money, I would build a UDS. Bigger version of a PBC.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #130
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Yup! I love that about it. It's usually ready by the time I get the meat ready.

John
The Weber Performer will beat a Pit Barrel Cooker for the after work cooks every day. Easier to start charcoal (w/ propane burner) and easier to clean out the ashes and a nice table to set my beers on.

I am not using lighter fluid to light my charcoal. I question any cooker which has instructions to use the nasty stuff.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #131
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcj3rd View Post
How was lunch? Also how many peeps did you cook for?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #132
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
With lighter fluid, per the instructions.

John
Lighter fluid? Really?

Mmmm... Nothin like meat with a little naphtha flavor on the backside!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #133
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

My initial reaction to the PBS is that it is a small UDS that you could probably make yourself for fifty bucks or less, that retails for 329 bucks. I don't know how it is finished, but it doesn't look like porcelain enamel.

I got my first Weber kettle in 1995, and still have it and use it -- and it looks good, too. I expect to have my WSM until I'm in the ground, myself.

I'm sure you can cook good Q on either one.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote