MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty
Default Superbowl menu question

Every year I do a themed party with foods from the two teams cities. Looking for ideas to be added to the menu.
Any help would be appreciated.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Baltimore? Crab cakes. Pit beef. Or heroin

San Francisco? Tofu. Or something a little light in the loafers?

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Otak Otak & a bucket of beer.
John

Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Make some rice-a-roni, it's the San Francisco treat

Kidding, when I think of San Francisco, I think of sour dough bread bowls down by the fisherman's wharf. At least that's what I did....

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Do Mardi Gras the SB is in Na Lanes
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

When I think of SF I think of Chinatown.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
landarc

Foods I associate with SF:
Cioppino
Dungeness Crab
Sourdough bread
Salmon
Chinese food

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
BobM
Babbling Farker

I'm going to my BIL's house for the Super Bowl. He is getting a 6 foot hero (no BBQ).
It's better this was, I'll be too farked up to cook anyway.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
Otak Otak & a bucket of beer.
John
We make the Otak Otak every Christmas as one of the starters. We get the kids to do the wrapping & BBQing. It is the most popular dish (even though I serve turkey, hot smoked salmon, gravlax etc). My recipe is below (sorry it is in metric):
Southeast Asian Otak Otak
(Smaller quantity)
(Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia)

375g white fish
375g peeled green prawns
250ml thick coconut cream
2 small red onions
4 cloves garlic
25ml fish sauce
12g shrimp paste
12g palm sugar
12g ground coriander seeds
8 g turmeric powder
20 candlenuts (or macadamia nuts), freshly roasted and pulverised
fresh red chilli to taste
galangal (thai ginger)
lemongrass
lime peel
Pieces of fresh banana leaf about 12cm by 25cm (soaked in hot water or place on hot BBQ to soften)

Take all the ingredients and mix in a blender, or pound to a paste in a mortar and pestle. Spread a good tablespoonful of the paste lengthwise in the centre one-third of a piece of banana leaf, leaving a space all around. Fold the sides over. Encase this again in another leaf folded similarly (a singly-wrapped one will burn and insides will stick to the outsides). Staple the ends or attach with toothpicks. Barbeque over coals for about ten minutes. The outside layer can blacken in parts, it only adds to flavour and presentation.

Substitutions: This can be made with fish or with crab (all quite authentic), and if you have some form of Thai curry paste (red may be best. You can also add an egg if you think that the mixture is not thick enough.

John

Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

Definitely crabcakes and a few Natty Bohs for Balmer Hon
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
caseydog

Even though they will tie my Steelers with six Super Bowl wins, I have nothing against the 49ers, and couldn't cheer for the Ratbirds with a gun pointed at my head, so just make something really good for SanFran. Maybe a SanFran Cioppino. You should be able to get some fresh seafood in Florida now, even if it isn't 100-percent authentic. Cioppino is good eats.

For Baltimore, boil some pigeons, AKA: Ratbirds. Boil them in used bath water, feathers and all, and toss them in the gutter, where they belong.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

San Francisco has a wide range of food options for a Super Bowl party. Probably the best known, as mentioned above, would involve crab and sourdough. Crab melts on sliced sourdough are a standard dish. Or crab cioppino with crusty sourdough for dipping. You could also go more ethnic with Mission-style burritos, or Vietnamese banh mi from Little Saigon (in the Tenderloin). We've also got a huge Italian population, so you could go with deli sandwiches (again on sourdough) using any of the many Italian cold-cuts made here (Molinari, Gallo, and Colombus are three traditional local companies for salami, sausage, etc). There's also a million and one Chinese dishes you can make. (I think it was Landarc who put up a char sui recipe this summer that was great.)
If you're more BBQ focused, you can stick with the California staple of tri-tip. Serve it on sourdough bread, and you're in business.
I think you're gonna want to have some SF dishes on your menu, because the Niners are going to CRUSH the Ravens.
GO NINERS!
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Even though they will tie my Steelers with six Super Bowl wins, I have nothing against the 49ers, and couldn't cheer for the Ratbirds with a gun pointed at my head, so just make something really good for SanFran. Maybe a SanFran Cioppino. You should be able to get some fresh seafood in Florida now, even if it isn't 100-percent authentic. Cioppino is good eats.

For Baltimore, boil some pigeons, AKA: Ratbirds. Boil them in used bath water, feathers and all, and toss them in the gutter, where they belong.

CD
You beat me to it. Let's face it, they aren't Raven's for gosh sake. They are just noisy irritating crows. I could shoot a couple here and send them out to you.

I really think sourdough and clam chowder kinda fits the area although cioppino is my favorite thing in the world (guess I have quite a few of those...)

Have fun!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
bbqbull
Watching over us.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18055

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Steamed crabs and granola bars.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system