MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Default Selling @ Farmers Markets & Smoke Control. Help, please

Hey All,

I just scored a great gig at a large farmers market. 25 Saturdays at a market that had 60k visitors last year. I get a 20x40 space.

They have concerns about smoke from my rig. I have a 12'x30" Cookers and Grills Trailer. Does anyone have any solutions to minimize smoke....outside of the rig, of course..... I thought maybe extending the stack would help.....don't know. Thinking outside the box.

Here is my rig......

http://www.hoosierculinarysharpening...b/DSCN5200.JPG

All advice and ideas are welcome. Please help me solve this, as it will be a big score for my fledgling catering biz.

Have a good one.
Hoosier Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

make sure you have a clean burning fire and there shouldnt be much of an issue. Where is the market, im about an hour south in columbus, I might have to make it up there one day.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Now that's a nice rig!

You might want to hit up Big Mista. He's the farmer's market bbq star in Southern California.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
jestridge

Sometime smoke can be good for business. Maybe precook and have a small fire to keep it warm
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
make sure you have a clean burning fire and there shouldnt be much of an issue. Where is the market, im about an hour south in columbus, I might have to make it up there one day.
Carmel Farmers Market, starting May 21st. Come see me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Now that's a nice rig!

You might want to hit up Big Mista. He's the farmer's market bbq star in Southern California.
Thanks. I'll look for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
Sometime smoke can be good for business. Maybe precook and have a small fire to keep it warm
They are mainly concerned about other vendors. This is an upscale market.....all organic and local. I'm guessing the vendors would revolt if they are being covered in my smoke. I don't think it will be an issue, but I need to try to minimize it....or at least look like I am trying to minimize it.

I hope the customers can see and smell my smoke before they get out of their cars.........it is the other vendors that will be next to me that they are concerned about.

It probably isn't even an issue, but these people have never even seen a rig like mine, let alone let it into their market. I don't blame them for having concerns. I just wanted to see if there was an easy solution from you farkers....

Old 02-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
jestridge

If I was you i would precook and put in cooler but have your smoker there for looks and maybe a little fire in it in other words fake it they never know the difference
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Or ask the vendors next to you if it will bother them

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If I were you I would tell the vender next to you that boy is he ever in luck that as soon as people smell that Q cooking they're gonna be beatin feet to find where it's coming from and they're are going to see alot more traffic next to you.
Positive marketing!!
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Beautiful rig you have there, and I'm gathering it takes a good amount of fuel to heat it up, so I'm with the pre cooking everything and just warming with a small fire. Or maybe you could put a gas assist in the fire box for heat, and a small charcoal basket for a small amount of smoke. It's all about the show.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
If I was you i would precook and put in cooler but have your smoker there for looks and maybe a little fire in it in other words fake it they never know the difference
Faking it is not in my DNA.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafixgibbs View Post
Or ask the vendors next to you if it will bother them
Yeah, but that is giving them the power to say it bothers them and then overblow the issue. I don't know them personally. They may just think I am an uncultured pig cooker that they can get rid of with a smoke excuse.....lol.

I guess I was hoping for a magic solution. I am probably overthinking this. Chances are that it isn't even going to be a problem. I just wanted advice from others that may have been in my shoes.

Thanks, all.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
If I were you I would tell the vender next to you that boy is he ever in luck that as soon as people smell that Q cooking they're gonna be beatin feet to find where it's coming from and they're are going to see alot more traffic next to you.
Positive marketing!!
Ed
Nice way to spin it. I like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ PD View Post
Beautiful rig you have there, and I'm gathering it takes a good amount of fuel to heat it up, so I'm with the pre cooking everything and just warming with a small fire. Or maybe you could put a gas assist in the fire box for heat, and a small charcoal basket for a small amount of smoke. It's all about the show.
I was considering showing up extremely early...like the night before...and do most of the smoking. I could then just keep most items warm for serving. Do you know of any resources on how long you can keep Q warmed before it degrades in quality? That would help.

It already has a propane ignition in the firebox. That is an option.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
BamaRambler
On the road to being a farker

For the first Saturday there, cook like you normally would. If the neigboring vendors complain then have backup plans like take extra pipe to extend your smoke stack up higher, etc...
Good Luck & nice rig you have there.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRambler View Post
For the first Saturday there, cook like you normally would. If the neigboring vendors complain then have backup plans like take extra pipe to extend your smoke stack up higher, etc...
Good Luck & nice rig you have there.
Thanks. Extending the stack was my initial thought. Have you done this or seen anyone talk about this? I'll do some searching. I always like to see the experience and mistakes of others. It shortens the learning curve...

Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

you will get complaints from the food vendors... especially those not doing well because you stlole their lunch biz. LOL. The vendor that is in best with the org sponsoring it... thats the one that will make your life miserable.

best thing is burn hot and clean and say... what smoke? People will still smell the smoke.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

extending the stack if done right will also help increase air draft therefore make a cleaner fire and get it up... in fact, since smoke often goes ahead and blows back DOWN as it cools I think the taller stack helps more in increasing draft and thereby making cleaner smoke than simply bringing it higher.