Need opinions on chicken.

B

Bpig

I am grilling a spatchcocked chicken today on my Weber OTG. I am going to use a 2 zone method where I stack the charcoal to one side. The chicken has been marinaded for 12 hours in Italian dressing and then well dusted on and under the skin with Yardbird. I cook it about 5 minutes a side over direct heat and then move the chicken to the cool side. I like to sauce it here.

I have the following options. Sheely's SC mustard sauce, a western NC sauce, Mad Dogg Ultra (hot tomato based) and of course no sauce. I wondered what folks think I should do and I am at an impasse. This is my first Yardbird chicken and I am a little excited to try this stuff. They are rubbed and unwrapped in the fridge right now. I am leaning toward to different halves.

So what do y'all think?

If it's your first time trying Yardbird, I'd forgo the sauce so you can get a better idea of it's flavor profile...I think you will be pleased with the results :thumb:

Don't sauce until the end, and not until you try it with the rub. The guys ahead of me both have valid points.

I don't sauce my chicken at all, nobody has ever asked for sauce after tasting it either.

As far as cooking, I'd cook it indirect @ 350-400. When it's done move over top of coals for a couple minutes to crisp up the skin.

Back