What's the best deck grill under $600

Mrdeville

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am looking for a nice deck grill/smoker. What's the best grill out that is $600 or less? I know some might say WSM but I'm not into those round smokers. I like to have plenty of space and able to lay my food out. Lowes, Home Depot, Costco? Who sells it? Thanks in advance for all of your comments!

What are your other requirements. Size must be unimportant. Fuel source? You want to be able to smoke or grill? Round is out of the question completely?

akron, bGE, WSM, Oklahoma Joe offset, any of these are good options.. in your price range..

I would like to smoke. Wood and or charcoal burner. The bigger the better. Not a fan of the round domes.

IMHO I think you are really limiting your options if you exclude round dome units. I have a Weber, Akorn and a BGE and can cook great food on them. The OK Joe mentioned above is a great option. Check out Meadow Creek. I would post a link but I am at work. I'll post one later.

http://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/index.php

Last edited:
I was in Texas recently. My nephew had a pit similar to this one. His was a little less expensive but I was very impressed with it. His had a 40"x 20" cook chamber although I'm not sure this one is as wide. Seemed well made, leaked very little, had the diffuser plate already built in, slide out expanded metal grates and the flue is at grate level. Not a Lang but mucho bang for buck.

10217251.jpg

I suggest a cabinet style smoker, like a backwoods They are insulated in most cases, so you should not have to worry about being close to railings. Offsets worry the jabberers out of me on a wood deck. I have done it but it was on a fire matte with fire board around the back side, along with extinguisher and garden hose close at hand, this from someone who like to play with fire. I have not checked backwoods prices in a long time so I can not speak to that. Also may want to check your city codes.
Dave

I know it's round...but what about a Weber 26" Kettle? Big enough to move your food around, plays well on a deck......How much grilling are you looking for vs. smoking? If it's a straight smoker would look into a used cabinet style smoke like the BW suggested...

The one that Wesman posted is similar to the OK Joe one that Lowes has. $429 OK Joe Smoker

I have never used it, so I can't tell you how it cooks. It does seem to have a decent build quality though. Anyone else have any opinions on these? I've been eyeing it for a while now myself.

The one that Wesman posted is similar to the OK Joe one that Lowes has. $429 OK Joe Smoker

I have never used it, so I can't tell you how it cooks. It does seem to have a decent build quality though. Anyone else have any opinions on these? I've been eyeing it for a while now myself.

The reviews on lowes site where not good at all.

I was checking out the OK Joe at Lowe's. I wasn't as impressed with it. The lid and the lip under the lid had gaps. The flue is way above the grate level. It seemed a little thinner walled as well. It's a decent unit.

Folks, Oklahoma Joe is a now line of smokers made by Charbroil. I am told they work fine with a few mods. However, they are NOT the same as the originals that were manufactured in Perry and Stillwater, OK.

Last edited:
I was leaning more to Oklahoma joe. The thickness is pretty decent, but the newer ones ...firebox has no ashpan, and where the side door on the firebox opens, it's too close to bottom. Im thinking when I have a long cook, when I go to open the door, hot ash will fall out if I'm not careful. I do like the size of both the cooking chamber and firebox. Besides, I need another smoker. I have a bunch of apple, oak and pear I need to burn!

Folks, Oklahoma Joe is a now line of smokers made by Charbroil. I am told they work fine with a few mods. However, they are NOT the same as the originals that were manufactured made in Perry and Stillwater, OK.

If made by Charbroil its junk now. The older OJ were nice pits for the money.

How about a used Hasty Bake Legacy grill? They go for $1k new but you can often get on craigslist for under $300. It has an adjustable charcoal grate for grilling, roasting or smoking. They're pretty nice!

I have two original Okie Joe's (a Longhorn and Vertical Roasting Oven). I love them both....

I have been told Hasty Bakes are really nice.

I was checking out the OK Joe at Lowe's. I wasn't as impressed with it. The lid and the lip under the lid had gaps. The flue is way above the grate level. It seemed a little thinner walled as well. It's a decent unit.

Wait first you talk about how badly it is built, and you were not impressed with it, then you say it's a decent unit:flock::flock::flock::flock::flock:
Dave

Back